Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Light switch for under-awning LEDs - too bright!

We just made our maiden voyage with our new 2016 (yeah, clear-out of last year's model) Grey Wolf 22RR toy hauler. One very annoying feature is the light switch that controls the under-awning led light strip. That switch, which is mounted on the upper cabinet panel with the other switches, has a very large and very bright blue glowing light.

First off, it sucks up power when we are dry camping, second, it is extremely bright at night and lights up the rv so much we have to keep the bedroom door closed so we can sleep.

Is this annoying only to me or to everyone else too?

I pulled the switch out of the panel and found that there is no way to turn off the led in the rocker. This is a switch i have never seen before - there are 3 connections and it's unclear what does what.

How can i turn off the lit rocker switch or what switch do i need to replace it with that has no led?
OldGoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

I would just disconnect a wire at a time and see which was the ground/power for the switch (lighting up the LED). Normally an on/off switch has 2 wires to it... which tells me the third wire is for the LED in the switch. Just figuring out which is which is the challenge.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
ycj

I'm sure you can pickup a new switch without the led. I had previously posted about my outdoor LED's being too bright. I don't use them because I feel it is rude to my neighbors.

I purchased an inline dimmer. Not sure if that will help. Easy to install and I can't be happier.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...mer/1082/2573/
ycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Solved it

Spydunks, I did remove leads until the switch led went out which worked, but got to thinking about it more. I contacted the Forest River factory in Oregon who were very helpful. Turns out that the factory folks reversed the leads so that battery power went right to the switch led all the time. I swapped the leads and now, when the awning lights are turned off the switch led is off, and when the awing lights are on, the switch led is on. I like this so i remember to douse the lights.

yjc, you are right that they are very bright and probably annoying for others, so i like the dimmer idea. Did you pull out the switch and install the dimmer in the line for the light string? Did you close it up in the cabinet again or is it exposed for use?
OldGoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
ycj

I followed my LED wires and saw they ran down the awning bracket against the trailer and entered at the base. That put all of the wires accessible in a base cabinet on the right as you enter.

Now that I see that it retains the setting, I don't have to have the contraption visible. I left it in the cabinet but can still get to it if needed.

Please note that the dimmer switch was for a single led color. I'm sure they sell others with multiple colors, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170726_203731583.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	146170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170726_203714358.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	146171  
ycj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags