Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #1

Lippert Controller One Control Issues

I've been having issues with this controller from day 1, but I bought the RV when it was a little over a year old. Lippert is not willing to replace the unit for me because it's past their 1 year warranty, despite having spent hours with tech support trying to get the unit to work properly.

The issues that I am having is that the screen is not registering the signals properly when pressing on the options. For example, when I select to view the Monitor Panel, I can see the options (and about half the time actually go into specific items to see), but the back arrow never works. I have to power off and back on to get out of the screen. Other times, the slide out will stop because the in/out feature malfunctions. Last weekend, it went bonkers on me and ended up starting up the generator.

I asked tech support today if this is a common problem, and his response was "I can't really answer that; I deal with complaints all day". I told him that if this is a systemic issue that they know about, this goes beyond a buyers warranty and becomes a manufacturer issue. With that, they offered a 10% discount. Lame.

How many of you out there have this same kind of issue? I really lack confidence in this product and company, and I'm afraid that this product is going to fail again once the warranty lapses. If this is a common enough problem, there is power in numbers!
TripRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #2

can't you program your phone to connect to the one control it operate it that way? I used to use mine that way all the time.
I could go outback and watch the jacks come down as I operated them with phone.
I could be outside to see if the slide was going to hit something as I operated them with phone.
I could sit outside and open or close the awning with the phone. Even turn lights on or off.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #3

Yes, and that's how I use the controller almost full-time. But I also rent out my RV, and setting up a new phone to control the unit each time has proven to be next to impossible.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #4

Ah. The Rest of the Story
Honestly, the One Control has seemingly turned out to be a dud for Lippert. Some of my RV buddies have them and none have good words for them. I would never purchase a unit with the full remote system (no manual switches).
Seeing how you are the second owner, and the RV is out of warranty, AND you rent it out, I would say Lipperts answer is more than fair on their part.
1) Buy a cheap smart phone or use an old one (no data), get it set up and leave it in the RV for renters. 2) Break down and purchase a new touch panel, 3) Install manual switches for important stuff. 4) Purchase an extended warranty (if possible when renting the unit)
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

Well, I didn't tell Lippert that I was renting the RV out for that very reason. But you're right...I had thought about the cheap smart-phone idea, and I think that's probably the best way to go. I did also purchase a new touch panel (begrudgingly), but the cost of installing manual switches for the other stuff isn't in the cards right now. Lippert won't extend their warranty on that product...go figure.

Thanks for the feedback and input.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #6

I love the concept of One Control and use of their app on phone, but it has bugs that Lippert doesn't fix or throws crap at the wall and hope it sticks. Examples: Bedroom tablet hangs way to much and has to be reset to work. Hate that I have to reboot to turn on the bedroom lights taking excessive time to reboot.

Awning is another problem that I have posted about. Water runs down the support channels and ruin the OS switch controller. Lippert sent me a new controller and wiring to splice together to (probably abut 12 wires) and that was a horrible job to solder all the splices and fit back in the channel. However, One Control won't extend or retract from the control panel and they tell me they have since changed some wiring splices that I should pull out and clip. I can only now extract or extend on the controller OS. The hell with spending more to make it work properly if I can make it work OS.

Next with the awning would not retract and the gears stripped in the power head. Had to take that all apart to fix.

Then there is the Self-leveling jacks. This never works properly without raising the whole unit beyond reasonable height and has the front wheels off the ground. Had the dealer reset and call Lippert to fix. Worked ok at the dealers stall but anywhere else, forgetaboutit. At best sometimes you can level manually, but too many times one back jack doesn't extend to all the way to the ground.

My feeling is Lippert really has too many things that should work, but does not. They should get their basic stuff to work flawless and forget all the new gadgets they come out with.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripRoader View Post
Well, I didn't tell Lippert that I was renting the RV out for that very reason. But you're right...I had thought about the cheap smart-phone idea, and I think that's probably the best way to go. I did also purchase a new touch panel (begrudgingly), but the cost of installing manual switches for the other stuff isn't in the cards right now. Lippert won't extend their warranty on that product...go figure.

Thanks for the feedback and input.

Not informing Lippert about your renting the unit is, withholding a material fact. It is unethical if not actually a violation of the law, attempting to gain some monetary advantage by deception. IMHO, NOT GOOD!!
Old 06-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #8

Just saying.

30 Illegal Things Practically Everyone Has Done:

Using Public WiFi.
Singing Happy Birthday.
Using a Fake Name Online.
Downloading Music.
Drinking Underage.
Playing Poker With Friends.
Eating Something Before You Bought It.
Downloading Movies and TV Shows.

More:

https://www.rd.com/list/weird-laws/

Of course there is this:

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Again. Just saying.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Just saying.

Using Public WiFi.

Singing Happy Birthday.

Downloading Music.

Drinking Underage.

More:

Of course there is this:

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Again. Just saying.
I think the point is that the OP bought a used RV(therefore no warranty)and is also using it for commercial purposes(which would cancel the warranty even if they had bought it new).
So there should not any expectation of any warranty coverage. Now that doesn't mean you can't reach out to the manufacturer for some possible good faith help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Just saying.

Using Public WiFi.
Singing Happy Birthday.
Downloading Music.
Drinking Underage.

More:

Of course there is this:

Again. Just saying.
So what you are saying is there should be NO rules for anyone because EVERYONE has done wrong in the past?..........and you wish to bolster your failed argument with quotes from the bible?
Based on your list it seems you have been VERY busy doing the wrong things
Old 06-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
So what you are saying is there should be NO rules for anyone because EVERYONE has done wrong in the past?..........and you wish to bolster your failed argument with quotes from the bible?
Based on your list it seems you have been VERY busy doing the wrong things
Ahhh. No, unknowing and knowingly are different, obviously.

Yes, why not the bible. I am not a religious person. I just don't feel the need to point out that someone else was being unethical and or illegal in a Forum.

And No. "Practically Everyone" is not a confession on my part.

Carry on.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think the point is that the OP bought a used RV(therefore no warranty)and is also using it for commercial purposes(which would cancel the warranty even if they had bought it new).
So there should not any expectation of any warranty coverage. Now that doesn't mean you can't reach out to the manufacturer for some possible good faith help.
Yes, I get that. But, just hinting that someone on this forum is "unethical if not actually violating the law" is a bit much. In my opinion. What is the point?

Or we could go to the Terms of Service.

"Inappropriate conduct is any conduct deemed by the Company to be harmful to the online community, including not limited to the following:

Posting any defamatory or otherwise false information."

Just saying.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, I get that. But, just hinting that someone on this forum is "unethical if not actually violating the law" is a bit much. In my opinion. What is the point?
The point was that the OP seemed unhappy with Lippert because they would not give him free parts. They had No obligation, for several reasons, not to. He even admitted he withheld the information about renting in order to better his chances of getting free parts.

To be honest, defending those actions and attempting to vilify me, leads me to believe you conduct your self in a similar manner.........Just Saying!

Contrary to your opinion Im NOT the bad guy here!

Further affiant sayeth naught!
Old 06-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
The point was that the OP seemed unhappy with Lippert because they would not give him free parts. They had No obligation, for several reasons, not to. He even admitted he withheld the information about renting in order to better his chances of getting free parts.

To be honest, defending those actions and attempting to vilify me, leads me to believe you conduct your self in a similar manner.........Just Saying!

Exactly.
My original point was that the OP had no reason to mislead readers of this thread by bad mouthing Lippert or FR for not replacing parts for free as he was second owner and it was out of warranty AND it is a rental.
I don't know what the OP was expecting, but Lippert did nothing wrong here especially when we got all the facts.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Exactly.
My original point was that the OP had no reason to mislead readers of this thread by bad mouthing Lippert or FR for not replacing parts for free as he was second owner and it was out of warranty AND it is a rental.
I don't know what the OP was expecting, but Lippert did nothing wrong here especially when we got all the facts.

Precisely. I think he expected to Flim-Flam them into replacing the part. Maybe like whats his name tried to do Nike by threatening bad publicity.

Didn't work for either of them
Old 06-26-2022, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:

I am disappointed Counselor. In no way shape or form did I at anytime defend the OPs actions.

As to who is vilifying who. This is the second time you have attempted to make me out to be the villain.
And I quote: "leads me to believe you conduct your self in a similar manner"

"Based on your list it seems you have been VERY busy doing the wrong things"

My problem is limited to your original statement. Again, I quote: "Not informing Lippert about your renting the unit is, withholding a material fact. It is unethical if not actually a violation of the law, attempting to gain some monetary advantage by deception."

This forum is not a court of law. For you to impugn someone's character without knowing 100% of the details is just plain rude. And unbecoming of an officer of the court. We all deserve better.

I only had one year of Latin. But here goes.

Condemnant quo non intellegunt

Old 06-27-2022, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Seeing how you are the second owner, and the RV is out of warranty, AND you rent it out, I would say Lipperts answer is more than fair on their part.
1) Buy a cheap smart phone or use an old one (no data), get it set up and leave it in the RV for renters. 2) Break down and purchase a new touch panel, 3) Install manual switches for important stuff. 4) Purchase an extended warranty (if possible when renting the unit)
Good luck!

Sorry y'all, back on topic....I have the same computerized One Control system. It's been working fine for us for the past couple years now, but I'm concerned how much longer we have before it starts giving us problems.

Although this control system is innovative and convenient when it works, I too would rather have the tried and true manual rocker switches for operating slides, awnings, lighting, etc. Only problem with your suggestion is how to actually do it. Only time I've ever successfully seen this done is on the Big Truck Big RV YouTube channel. In his case, he had the manual rocker switches for everything on his Brookstone fiver. It took four LCI Engineers two solid days to re-wire his entire RV with a One Control touchscreen and controller for dual glide, awning, leveling, and lighting control.

I believe installing manual switches would be extremely difficult to do yourself, or cost several thousands to have it installed professionally. However, are there any members who have successfully done this and documented it in this forum? I'd be willing to give it a go with some guidance from someone who's done it already.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #18

Quote:

I only had one year of Latin. But here goes.

Condemnant quo non intellegunt

"Further affiant sayeth naught" Is Not Latin, it is Olde English. It means I have Nothing more to say in this matter. I meant it.
I am violating that this one time to educate you on this minor sub issue. I shall not violate it again. Any further comment to me on this matter will simply get you placed on my Ignore List. I have NO desire to get into a pissing contest over something trivial.
Just for the record, I am not now nor have I ever been an attorney.

Tags
controller