Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #1

Lippert Insight B/U Camera issues

So I just purchased a 2022 Cherokee 20RDSE which came with a Lippert InSight wifi backup camera that is supposed to pair with my OneControl app, and display the backup camera on my cell phone through the app.

I cannot get this sucker to pair to save my life. Yes, I cheated the outdoor lights by using a 15amp fuse in the plug that would plug into my truck. The lights come on. I try and pair it by scanning the sticker but I am constantly getting the same error - "OneControl was not able to connect to "INSIGHT_C462A6". Please tap retry to try connecting again". I tried manually inputting the ID (minus the password). That didn't change anything. There's even a QR sticker on the camera itself, which I have also tried scanning and get the same error.

I did find a troubleshooting guide that said to push a small button on the actual camera for 15 seconds to reset the camera. I did this, and it said the 4 red lights should come on around the camera, and of course they dont, and of course, this didnt change anything. Makes me wonder if the camera is just not getting power or not.

I am at my wits end with this thing.

Does ANYONE have any other tips I could try to get this camera to sync and pair to my phone? Does anyone know how to test this unit to see if it's getting power?
Axeman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
Happy Camper

realize this post is from September...

...but I wanted to share some info and a I just registered on this Forum today.

My 2022 Alpha Wolf 33BH-L came with a backup camera. I ordered the camper out of state (I'm in Alabama....ordered it from Camping World in Iowa)...so I didn't get a chance to check anything out at the Dealer before we got it home. Almost everything worked when the camper arrived (had it shipped here).....but.....the dang camera.

I'm an Electrical Engineer with 45 years in the IT business.....over 20 years in Network Engineering, 8 years in Software Development.....my point is....I'm a MAJOR techie guy. When people need their network fixed, they call me. So, you'd think getting that backup camera would be "plug and play" for me. But....not so.......

So as I said, mine didn't work. I checked wiring, it was reverse polarized/wired. Yep, from the factory, it had positive of camera hooked up to ground wire of camper....and ground of camera hooked up to 12v wire on camper. Yep, pretty incredible.....reverse polarity wired FROM THE FACTORY! So no wonder it didn't work! When I corrected the polarity, it did power up (to my surprise, they don't have fuse protection nor diode protection)....but....it didn't function normally. I'd see the SSID being broadcast on my cell phone.....but it would cycle on and off....on and off. I called Lippert ....talked through the problem with one of their techs....and they agreed, the unit was FUBAR. So I had to jump through hoops to get another one sent under warranty. I called Lippert.....they gave me a case number for a trouble ticket. But told me ONLY Forrest River could get me the replacement. So I called Forrest River. Oh, sorry, ONLY the DEALER you bought from can do that. So called them (again, I bought from Cedar Falls, IA Camping World....I'm in central Alabama)....and finally convinced them to process a warranty claim and send me a replacement.

TODAY, I got the replacement. Before I even put it on the camper, I hooked it up to a 12V power supply to test it in the house (I'm also a Ham Radio operator, so I've got power supplies and electronic supplies laying all around the home). I found this out during my testing just today:

I saw the INSIGHT SSID being broadcast on my cell phone with the new unit. It was constantly being sent out (and of course, you have your cell phone wireless turned on). But when I tried to connect via One Connect by adding a camera, I could get the initial connection....or pairing....but, it would never link/show the camera. I just got the black screen many talk about.

Finally, I deduced since I had a wireless network in my house....and I had my phone set to "auto connect" to my home wireless network, what I found was happening in my case was the One Connect would TEMPORARILY connect to the Insight camera network, but it wouldn't stay connected long enough to bring up the camera. My house network was autoconnecting and "bumping" me off the Insight network. So I went in my phone settings and forced the Insight network to be autoconnected....and connected to the that network FIRST through my cell phone wireless settings....and THEN turned on One Control....and then connected to the camera. Now, it properly wanted me (the first time) to update my password for the actual camera connection....and BINGO! The camera started working.

We also confirmed what my Dealer said they found. Only ONE cell phone can connect at a time. If I connect my phone to the camera, the wife can't connect. If I disconnect, then she can indeed connect to the camera.

I suspect, by the way, when we get out in the "woods" camping....and the cellphone can no longer see the home wireless network, I think there's a good chance THEN I'll probably be able to connect to the camera by just bringing up One Control and then hitting the camera link/button. I don't think I'll have to "force" the phone to connect to the Insight SSID when I'm out in the woods away from home. For now, that's the ONLY way to get it to connect. Connect to the Insight network first via the Settings/Wireless configuration on the phone....and then second, start up One Control and then Camera. In the software business we call that a "Known Problem and Workaround" ....or KP&W for short. When folks call in to a Help Desk, you have a big book of KP&Ws and look up your issue and see if there is a known "fix" or workaround.

Hope maybe this info might be of help............and sorry it's so darn long a post..........
redvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #3

That was an excellent read. I too am a techie, so to say. I'm actually a Weapons Engineering technician in the Royal Canada Navy by trade. My first thought was wiring as well but I haven't had time to get up and look at that yet.

You gave me some great ideas to try. I did talk with the dealership about this and the service manager told me to download a different app for the RV called WeRV. I guess it's a different app used by Cherokee but I didn't have any better luck with that app.
Axeman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
Happy Camper

Bottom line:

App never connects and keeps saying retry - not paired and likely camera not working....reverse wired or just plain broken

App connects initially but gets black screen and won't show camera - likely phone not staying connected to camera network....go into phone wireless settings and force the phone to stay connected to the camera network
Old 02-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
That was an excellent read. I too am a techie, so to say. I'm actually a Weapons Engineering technician in the Royal Canada Navy by trade. My first thought was wiring as well but I haven't had time to get up and look at that yet.

You gave me some great ideas to try. I did talk with the dealership about this and the service manager told me to download a different app for the RV called WeRV. I guess it's a different app used by Cherokee but I didn't have any better luck with that app.
You're on to something. Just today, tried to get my camera to connect and show an image. My camera is the Lippert INSIGHT camera that came installed in my 2022 Wolf Pup 14CC.

I removed the camera from the mounting shell, got an old 12VDC AC adapter from an old Hard Drive, and then connect the camera's power wires to the adapter output.

I finally got the camera to connect, but still no image. On principal, I unpaired the camera, cycled the 12DC adapter, pressed the reset button, opened the OneControl app, then added the camera back to the app. Still nothing.

My final attempt was successful, though. I opened my phone's WIFI settings screen and manually add the SSID for the INSIGHT camera.

Bam...not only did the camera connect to wifi, but I started getting images from it!

Unfortunately, while I was removing the camera from the camper, I also attempted to unscrew the knurled plastic threaded nut that screws onto the cameras SMA connector, but the nut decided to break off from the bottom of the antenna.

Long story short - I'm sitting here looking on Amazon for a replacement antenna. I'm going to purchase one that is 15" long to give it a bit more signal boost.

What I hate about the camera is that on a phone, the image is tiny and there is no way to zoom it to the phone's full screen, nor does the app change to landscape mode when I turn the phone to landscape. Once I get the replacement antenna mounted, I'll reinstall the camera into the housing on the back of the camper.

I suspect, though that I'll still not be happy. If it works on my android 10" screen tablet, it'll at least be a larger image. Realistically, I'll end up installing a better camera.
protonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:06 PM   #6

So I’m not the only person who has an issue with this camera. We just purchased a 2021 Sabre that has the Insight camera installed on it. It keeps giving an error that I can’t connect to the network then it asked for a non existent password. I ended up having to find the reset button on the camera and well that got it to finally work until I got in the tow vehicle and it stopped refreshing the image. Then tried to reconnect and the same process saying it can’t connect. Not sure why the manufacturer even installed this type of camera as it appears they are problematic. There needs to be a better solution to connecting and operating the camera.
JonathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:59 PM   #7

Smile Thanks to all here

I also have the same issue. Today I have pretty much decided the camera itself is the problem. I cannot get the wifi to show up on my phone no matter what I do. So removing the auto connect on my phone is the next try, makes sense. I am a Multi Master Tech and been an issue not knowing system design. So now that I have the drift of things, I know where I am headed. None of these post are to long when their is a wealth of information AJ
ajutzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:04 PM   #8
Happy Camper

I have to be honest. I've spent the money to have the following Lippert products:

Camera
Temperature monitor for both outside and inside refrigerators
Propane monitors on both LP tanks
Tire Linc tire monitor system

And of all of those systems, ONLY the Temperature monitors on the refrigs works pretty reliable. The Tire Linc system is CONSTANTLY giving me false readings or not working. The backup camera, works spotty/imtermittently in my truck (but ok outside the truck). The propane monitor works sometimes, not at others.

Guess what I'm saying is, I'm not impressed by ANY of the Lippert monitoring systems I have and would NOT recommend anyone buy one..........sadly............
Old 04-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #9

Have a 2021 37flh. Bought new. Fought issues for a year. Lippert finally replaced with a furrion unit and everything is fine!
Bubba1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:04 PM   #10

Camera Tech

Read all the threads about the camera not working. Thanks for the tech talk. I'm NOT even close to being an engineer but I'm not afraid to try. Even had a Electrical Engineer from Lockeed-Martin over this weekend, wish I saw this post while he was here - he would have enjoyed the posts. Anyway, will check the reverse-poliarity next because I've done everything everyone has tried. I honestly feel the camera is DOA -- no signal from red LED's when doing master reset (per their manual) along with no WiFi eminating from the camera after power check. I will push HARD for them to send me a new camera.
KeysLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:02 PM   #11
Happy Camper

an update to this......I will say I bought the Monitor you mount on your dash/windshield inside your Tow Vehicle.....and indeed, it makes the camera reception MUCH more reliable. As in, it works 99.99% of the time.

So I would say....if you have your backup camera system working....but reception using your phone is intermittent or unreliable, I DO....yes DO.....recommend the Lippert Monitor for the camera system. It's in fact one of the few things I can honestly recommend purchasing from them. I really like mine, and an added feature is the sound works reliably. When backing up, I can have a spotter speak and give additional instructions from all the way at the back of my travel trailer (mine is 37 feet 6 inches, plus a long bed dually F350 tow vehicle.....so that spotter is some 63 feet away roughly! I can hear them perfectly as if they were standing right beside me....and see the camera clearly with a 7 inch picture on the monitor.

I even leave it on while driving down the hiway to know who is behind me or about to be beside me. While most my other Lippert purchases have been for the most part somewhat or quite dissappointing, this monitor IS worth the money. Apparently using your phone inside a vehicle for many of us....due to the distance and lack of signal....makes the camera system very unreliable. The monitor is in fact a game changer in that regard.........
Old 08-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #12

Just an FYI -- I took my rig in for the camera plus other wonkies (a highly technical term) and sure enough. Wires crossed on the camera. Was like that from the factory. You would THINK they would test the bugger before they send it out. Really appreciate your post -- the cross wire check was the ONE THING we didn't do.
KeysLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #13

Redvalk is 100% right - the monitor is a total game changer! We recently bought a 26RL-L and had loads of issues getting the camera to show up on the Onecontrol app. The main issue we were having initially was Verizon's "digital secure" blocking the camera wifi connection. Once we figured that out we were pretty consistently able to connect, BUT once in the TV we immediately lost connection. Not very useful for a camera right? We contacted Lippert, and surprisingly they were really helpful - sent out a longer antenna and a dedicated 7" monitor. Camera works just fine now!
Chris00414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:08 PM   #14

@redvalk @keyslife
How did you go about finding the terminal ends of the wires and correcting the polarity?
Medaglia68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:26 PM   #15
Happy Camper

I sent you a PM. But basically, I took a ladder to get me up to the camera....removed two screws....pulled the camera out and checked the wires. The slightly strange part was.....the wires coming from the trailer were WHITE and BLACK....while the wires coming from the camera were the more traditional RED and BLACK. They had wired black to black....and white to red. I checked the voltage with a meter, and low and behold.....white was GROUND and black.....was +12 volts. Go figure. Reverse wired. Reversing the wires on the original camera did power it up....but it was "fried". They reluctantly sent me another camera. Kept wanting me to go to a certified Dealer to fix it. I told them since I'm a degreed Electrical Engineer with over 45 years in the IT industry....and I'm the one who found out THEY wired it backwards, send me the dang camera and I'll gladly take me chances that I'll wire it correctly as opposed to them trying again
Old 03-06-2024, 09:48 AM   #16

Glad I found this forum. I'm having the same issue with factory installed Insight b/u camera. No response, no red leds trying to reset with 7-way powered using 5a fuse across power and running lights. New to us '21 Wolf Pack 325pack13. Already sorted out the solar charger was labeled backwards and hooked up backwards at the battery. That's working now. 1st owner didn't seem to use or fix anything. This rig is untouched which is nice but now out of warranty for simple things like this.

My question is how did you remove the insight camera base from the rv? I have a black adhesive attaching it to the fiberglass and afraid I'll damage the gel coat prying with a putty knife. Heat?
Nocturnalmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #17
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnalmotors View Post
Glad I found this forum. I'm having the same issue with factory installed Insight b/u camera. No response, no red leds trying to reset with 7-way powered using 5a fuse across power and running lights. New to us '21 Wolf Pack 325pack13. Already sorted out the solar charger was labeled backwards and hooked up backwards at the battery. That's working now. 1st owner didn't seem to use or fix anything. This rig is untouched which is nice but now out of warranty for simple things like this.

My question is how did you remove the insight camera base from the rv? I have a black adhesive attaching it to the fiberglass and afraid I'll damage the gel coat prying with a putty knife. Heat?
Dog gone it. It's been over a year and a half......and I'm having a hard time remembering if I did indeed remove the base. I tend to think I DID....because I remember sealing up the area with silicone seal. I really apologize I can't remember more clearly. I had COVID 1 Feb this year (last month), and after 12 days with COVID....I was hospitalized with low O2 levels (high 80s) and breathing and fatigue issues. Honestly, most of the month of February is a wash for me. And my mind hasn't been totally clear since. And I'm also having some issue remembering some details for things further back....like this camera details

I do remember those two tiny screws hold the camera onto the base. Just can't remember FOR SURE....if I removed the base or not. If you can get to the wires ....and I think you can.....you should be able to just swap out the camera with those two TINY screws that hold it on.

Again, if I'm incorrect on that assumption, I apologize. I just hope my brain fog goes away....my mind clears up....and my O2 levels come back with time (still in the low to mid 90s.....mid to high 90s are O2 levels more desired). I had bad pneumonia from the COVID...which is what messed up my O2 levels.

Sorry for the excuse.....but.....sadly, it's the truth.........

Just go for it on the camera, it's going to be easy to fix I can assure you that. Just double check the polarity on the wires coming out of the trailer as mentioned before.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:24 PM   #18

Thank you for the response. I'll try removing the camera from the mount instead of the mount 1st.

I hope your health improves!
Nocturnalmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #19
Happy Camper

Watch those 2 tiny screws. I lost one the first time I removed the camera!

Tags
camera