Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Local TV channels

I was camping this weekend. Trying to get local channels and only received NBC. Had some other channels Mystery, some oldie station, etc... 10 total. I'm running a standard system the came with my Rockwood Roo. Doesn't anyone have input on how to get other local channels CBS,FOX,etc..

Thanks
RooMan183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #2

All new televisions require an OTA or antenna scan for local channels every time you go to a new location. Then you get what you get. There are a few apps that will locate television transmitters by direction and distance.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
There are a few apps that will locate television transmitters by direction and distance.
This. There are quite a few free (ad supported) apps that are great for finding the direction and signal strength of local broadcast towers. If your Roo came with an omni-directional antenna, then you definitely want to upgrade to an amplified directional unit. Speaking of amplifiers, make sure your's is on.
Also, like Boomer stated, rescanning the channels is always required at a new location.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

It's a crap shoot. As stated you have to scan at each new location. We've had 39 channels and we've had 3.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2019 Palomino Solaire 202RB

"Why yes, this is my circus and these are my monkeys!"
jcr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Gees, got 50 channels this weekend.

15 miles from a Detroit, Toledo and Windsor Ontario.

On Lake Erie. Lovely spot.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Also, you can go online and can see where the transmitter towers are in relation to you, and rotate/aim your antenna towards them to get a better signal.

**edit, DavidBo already said this.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

Thanks. This helps.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Thanks. This helps.
Really need that sarcasm font installed!

@Rooman183 -- I replaced the "Omni-Directional" antenna in our RV with a directional unit, and it picks up a lot more channels, but as said above, we have to rescan channels any time we move out of the area we were last in by several miles.

We also use a couple of 'antenna finder' apps and that helps get an idea of which way to aim the antenna.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
All new televisions require an OTA or antenna scan for local channels every time you go to a new location. Then you get what you get. There are a few apps that will locate television transmitters by direction and distance.

www.antennaweb.org

That will tell you which way to aim your antenna by compass degrees (if you have one that can be turned). Then I use my phones compass to see which direction to "aim" the antenna.
Also, if you have the older style "batwing" antenna, an add-on "wingman" attachment will help bring in fringe stations. As an added measure, I swapped out the basic Winegard amplifier with their digital one. The db gain is adjustable on that one for even better reception.
https://www.campingworld.com/winegar...man-44021.html

https://www.campingworld.com/winegar...er-accessories
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I replaced the "Omni-Directional" antenna in our RV with a directional unit, and it picks up a lot more channels, but as said above, we have to rescan channels any time we move out of the area we were last in by several miles.
I've heard more than once that those omni-directional antennas are really good at NOT picking up channels in all directions at once.

Many have reported switching them out with better results. I wonder if that's what the OP has.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

One common problem is that when people do a channel scan, their antenna may not be pointed at any tower location and the scan will come up "No Channels Found".

Get an app like the The smart Winegard TV Signal Finder.

Super easy to use if you have a cell connection. First figure out which direction your RV is pointing. Run Tower Finder and orient your phone so it's top is pointing North. The screen will show you which way to point the antenna BEFORE you scan and your chances of getting more channels from a scan is increased.

Don't forget though. Most RV antennas have a hard time receiving channels over 30 miles away unless the terrain is flat.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

And when it's all said and done, you can sit in your trailer and stare at crappy network tv riddled with constant commercials that exceed actual content by a long shot. Our last campground had over 70 channels available on cable. I sat there clicking through channels, half of which were commercials, and other half crap until wife said, "turn it off already". I got rid of cable TV at home 3 years ago and have never been happier or had more coin in my pocket. Nice feeling knowing you made the right choice.

I know this post is not helpful, but man, the lengths people go to to watch tv while camping is puzzling and amusing to me.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Also, you can go online and can see where the transmitter towers are in relation to you, and rotate/aim your antenna towards them to get a better signal.

**edit, DavidBo already said this.
I just look at the antennas of other units and point mine the same way of the majority.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
I just look at the antennas of other units and point mine the same way of the majority.

Yeah.....I thought I'd try that too. Just that I don't know if some just put it up & hoped for the best or those that didn't even put it up because they just want to disconnect for the weekend OR......are they a younger generation with all you can get unlimited data plans on their multiple devices and are able to stream every show they want at will?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #15

Those Omni directional antennas are just a piece of wire wrapped around a plastic housing. Even a rep from a well known RV antenna manufacturer admitted they were junk. They had to make something that the RV manufacturers wanted and that were cheap and easily installed on the line. The Batwing (Sensar III) took too long to install and were expensive. My Omni was in the trash can on the second trip and a new Sensar IV has taken it's place.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #16

Not sure what’s what but have the one u crank up and has a geared wheel to move the direction. I thought maybe there was an add on booster or amplifier that would bring in more channels. I didn’t use any particular readings but spun servers times in different directions did the rescan every time and came up with the same channels.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post

That works OK if you camp among a bunch of other campers.

Boondocking is a whole different situation. Nobody to give you a clue as to direction and often, no nearby stations to receive anyway.

For my evening TV "fix" I shuffle through the $3.98 bin of DVD's, sometimes the $5 bin at Walmart. Pick up two or three new DVD's every once in a while and fill a box for my next trip.

I also swap DVD's with my Son and Daughter. For news I just have to make do with radio, either the TT's radio or Sirrius XM. Strange thing about "News". I listen while driving and a week later when I start driving again, the "News" all seems to be the same.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooMan183 View Post
Not sure what’s what but have the one u crank up and has a geared wheel to move the direction. I thought maybe there was an add on booster or amplifier that would bring in more channels. I didn’t use any particular readings but spun servers times in different directions did the rescan every time and came up with the same channels.

See my previous post, #9.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #19

Maybe I’ll try the wingard sensor pro
Old 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #20

Also keep in mind that UHF is easily blocked by thick foliage. TV reception while camping is certainly an ever changing situation. I recently swapped our Winegard Sensar III for a Clearstream C2V made to mount on the Winegard antenna boom and use the existing pre amp power inserter. The kit included the Clearstream 2 antenna, reflector screen, cabling and a PA-18 pre amp. From my driveway I can now get all the major networks from 43 miles away. Our small town is in a valley and I have large trees 150' away in the direction of the broadcast towers. The batwing antenna received only the strongest station. I am anxious to try this antenna out in familiar campgrounds and see what difference it makes there.

Stowed position. Doesn't lay as flat as the Winegard batwing. We'll see how it does on the road.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote