RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
RedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 265
Looking at satellite dish for use with my directv receiver....

I believe I've narrowed my decision down to two products - the winegard portable manual and a standard 18" round dish with tripod.

The receiver ill take from home for camping use is an hd 21 model. That said I don't have a need for hd programming while camping.

The winegard is interesting to me as it breaks down into the nice protective case. I must say, I'm leaning that way.

Any words of wisdom?
__________________
2013 Rockwood Roo 23ss
2012 F150 Ecoboost

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
I believe I've narrowed my decision down to two products - the winegard portable manual and a standard 18" round dish with tripod.

The receiver ill take from home for camping use is an hd 21 model. That said I don't have a need for hd programming while camping.

The winegard is interesting to me as it breaks down into the nice protective case. I must say, I'm leaning that way.

Any words of wisdom?
Many opinions on this.....
Mine is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130429_100451.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	29272
Best of all it was free.
I also take my shop receiver from home.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
I believe I've narrowed my decision down to two products - the winegard portable manual and a standard 18" round dish with tripod.

The receiver ill take from home for camping use is an hd 21 model. That said I don't have a need for hd programming while camping.

The winegard is interesting to me as it breaks down into the nice protective case. I must say, I'm leaning that way.

Any words of wisdom?

Mine looks like turbos but in Directv . Maybe I'm spoiled but if u have a HD TV in he camper (and watch a lot while camping), then you might want a HD dish too.

What service do you have?
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dkb74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 543
We have the Winegard Carryout Portable (with DirecTV) and I have to say we love it. Pricey, yes. But so so easy to use. Saves so much frustration.

We've used two different receivers from our house with it, both times with no problem. Just have to change the settings on the receiver and then let it do it's thing.
__________________
~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 265
Rracer5 - I currently have directv so basically all I need is the dish and other required hardware (short of the receiver).

Any issues setting your dish up? There are a few campgrounds where I'd probably not obtain a signal (too many trees) but other campgrounds would be fine.

Where did you get your equipment? There are some package deals via amazon from oasis - good and bad reviews, so I thought I'd ask for opinions from the forum instead!

Dkb74 - looks like you have the auto find version, I'm looking at the cheaper manual version. That said, no problems so far obtaining a signal?
__________________
2013 Rockwood Roo 23ss
2012 F150 Ecoboost

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
Anyone know if an HD receiver will work with a standard round dish? We have 2 standard receivers for the bedroom and living area but it would be nice if we could take one of our HD receivers to use for the bunk room tv.
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 265
An hd received should work with a round dish, but you'd be limited to sd picture and not be able to view hd programming.

The round dish doesn't tune in to the requires satellites for hd. I believe the round dish is to tune in to 101 only.

If you want hd programming you'd need the egg shaped dish and potentially other equipment. You might run in to other issues from what I read depending on the model receiver you have.
__________________
2013 Rockwood Roo 23ss
2012 F150 Ecoboost

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
dkb74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
Dkb74 - looks like you have the auto find version, I'm looking at the cheaper manual version. That said, no problems so far obtaining a signal?
No. It took a little longer under a tree canopy than open sky, but still found it and worked great from that point on.


We use our HD receivers with our Winegard with no problem.
__________________
~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
Rracer5 - I currently have directv so basically all I need is the dish and other required hardware (short of the receiver).

Any issues setting your dish up? There are a few campgrounds where I'd probably not obtain a signal (too many trees) but other campgrounds would be fine.

Where did you get your equipment? There are some package deals via amazon from oasis - good and bad reviews, so I thought I'd ask for opinions from the forum instead!

Dkb74 - looks like you have the auto find version, I'm looking at the cheaper manual version. That said, no problems so far obtaining a signal?


I got the 5 LNB dish from an online supplier a few years ago (can't member the name) then I got the heavy duty tripod from Camping World. With the HD dish, you must get the tripod as level as possible. Then I use the "Satfinder" app on my smart phone to locate the 101 degree satellite and start tuning with a satellite the tone meter. When I have the 101 on a strong signal, then I tweak the dish settings to get the rest. I've been doing it this way for 3 years and have never not gotten any signals. It has take me anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour to set up. So, unless you have patience, $1500 will get you a fully automatic one from CW
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
An hd received should work with a round dish, but you'd be limited to sd picture and not be able to view hd programming.

The round dish doesn't tune in to the requires satellites for hd. I believe the round dish is to tune in to 101 only.

If you want hd programming you'd need the egg shaped dish and potentially other equipment. You might run in to other issues from what I read depending on the model receiver you have.

Glad to hear that! Now we can take one of the HD receivers from home for the bunk room, even if we don't get HD. I wanted to buy an HD dish but the DH said "Honey....we're camping!!" so we'll stick with the standard for now. Just glad that we'll have channels for the kiddies & guests in the bunk room. Thanks for the info!
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post

Glad to hear that! Now we can take one of the HD receiver from home for the bunk room, even if we don't get HD. I wanted to buy an HD dish but the DH said "Honey....we're camping!!" so we'll stick with the standard for now. Just glad that we'll have channels for the kiddies & guests in the bunk room. Thanks for the info!
Just out of curiosity what do you have for connections in your bunkhouse?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just out of curiosity what do you have for connections in your bunkhouse?
There are 2 cable looking connections, which appear to be the same type connections that we have in the living area and the bedroom. My DH would know for sure but they all look the same.
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
The reason I ask is my bunk house albeit a different make "sabre" also has two connections.
One is a coax connection and the other is a rca connection and these are only for the "over the air antenna " and or the signal from the dvd player "when watching a movie.
Not any satellite type connection.
If you remove the wall plate the cable should be yellow if it's a "sat" connection.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The reason I ask is my bunk house albeit a different make "sabre" also has two connections.
One is a coax connection and the other is a rca connection and these are only for the "over the air antenna " and or the signal from the dvd player "when watching a movie.
Not any satellite type connection.
If you remove the wall plate the cable should be yellow if it's a "sat" connection.
I had a feeling you were about to rain on my parade! LOL! I promise I won't shoot the messenger!

We're going on a weekend trip this Friday so we'll take one along & see what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though! Thanks for letting me know what to look for.
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post
I had a feeling you were about to rain on my parade! LOL! I promise I won't shoot the messenger!

We're going on a weekend trip this Friday so we'll take one along & see what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though! Thanks for letting me know what to look for.
You may have a SAT ready connection back there but I have yet to see one.
ITS on my list to remind a certain factory rep that all tv locations be SAT ready.
Normally the only sat ready locations are at the main living tv. "normally"

Have fun and good luck!
Report back on what you find.


TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You may have a SAT ready connection back there but I have yet to see one.
ITS on my list to remind a certain factory rep that all tv locations be SAT ready.
Normally the only sat ready locations are at the main living tv. "normally"

Have fun and good luck!
Report back on what you find.


TURBS

OK...I couldn't wait until the weekend so I went out & took some pics. I discovered that there are no plates behind the living area TV, only a white cable & a gray cable that come from behind the wall. One of these is a satellite feed. I know for sure that we have satellite in the master bedroom as well as we had both rooms connected at the same time. Below are pictures of what we have in our bunk room. There are 3 plates directly behind the TV. (Pic 1) The plate on the far left doesn't appear to be factory installed and behind it there are a white cable and a gray cable just like we have in the living area (Pic 3) Below there under the cabinet, there are 2 more connections (Pic 2).

Sorry I don't know the technical terms for these things...these are the "DW" terms!

I guess I should add that we have two satellite and one cable connection on the outside of our camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130429_182537.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	29296   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130429_182609.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	29297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130429_183847.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	29298  
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Looks to me like you may be ok!
Looks like someone went to the effort of adding a sat cable.
Sorry if I got you worried!
Lol just didn't want a 911 post this weekend about no satellite !


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Heldapay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 129
We'll find out for sure this weekend. Of course, it may not matter anyway as we're camping in a heavily wooded campground!

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully you can add our 365saq to your list of firsts. Thanks so much for all your expertise, Turbs!
__________________


Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
RedStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 265
I ended up going with the Winegard mp1 standard definition dish.

My question to those that know, I plan to bring along a directv receiver from home, a h21 model. Do I need to pick up a b band converter?
__________________
2013 Rockwood Roo 23ss
2012 F150 Ecoboost

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
dkb74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 543
We have left ours at home.
__________________
~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.