Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2024, 06:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Low camera voltage

I have a 2024 Sandpiper 4002fb. When I picked it up, The Furrion camera would not work. They sent me the adapter that is supposed to fix the problem. Still no worky. I ordered a cheaper camera system from amazon. Again, no worky. I have been troubleshooting today. I am only getting about 11 volts. Not enough to power the camera. I also learned that it is not getting power from the marker lights. With the truck disconnected, I got the same voltage. Battery fully charged, and also hooked to generator. Someone please tell me you have dealt with this and have a fix!!!!
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 21,566
This thread has been moved from the General Community Discussions forum to the Appliances and Electronics forum.
__________________
2015 FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:26 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,176
If you have a digital meter, measure the voltage at your battery and NOT plugged into shore power or your vehicle. A healthy battery at rest should be 12.5 volts. Measuring while connected just tells you voltage after the converter is charging the battery….usually 13 to 14+ volts.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:40 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you have a digital meter, measure the voltage at your battery and NOT plugged into shore power or your vehicle. A healthy battery at rest should be 12.5 volts. Measuring while connected just tells you voltage after the converter is charging the battery….usually 13 to 14+ volts.
So, I just went and checked. I'm sitting at about 11.8VDC. My solar charger showed it at 13VDC. Is it possible this thing isn't taking a full charge? Its a brand new 2024 camper. I haven't even moved into it yet.
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 33,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
So, I just went and checked. I'm sitting at about 11.8VDC. My solar charger showed it at 13VDC. Is it possible this thing isn't taking a full charge? Its a brand new 2024 camper. I haven't even moved into it yet.
Did you turn on the running lights while hooked up to the tow vehicle? Most RV rear observation cameras are powered thru the 12v running lights.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:13 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you turn on the running lights while hooked up to the tow vehicle? Most RV rear observation cameras are powered thru the 12v running lights.
I did. The voltage is the same with the running lights on as it is with the truck unplugged
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:23 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,176
Is it possible for you to place jumper cables from your car onto the Sandpiper battery to give it a good charge? With your car at 2000 rpm, see if your camera works then. See the attached photo for info again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7357.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	296975  
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Is it possible for you to place jumper cables from your car onto the Sandpiper battery to give it a good charge? With your car at 2000 rpm, see if your camera works then. See the attached photo for info again.
This would be no different than hooked to a generator for shore power. Right? I guess Ill have to try that tomorrow. Measure the voltage while the generator is running
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 3,471
If the camera is on the running lights ... truck 7pin powered
try disconnecting the truck 7 pin you will then get zero volts to the camera
you then can limit your search for low volts to the TRUCK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If camera is wired into the house battery....
connecting either of the below will increase voltage to the whole RV:
7 pin with truck engine running
shorepower + converter ON
generator + converter ON
thus should increase the voltage to the camera

determine if house battery is the power source and measure voltage starting at the battery and progressing through each component
battery ----> disconnect switch----> fuse ----> Camera

measure voltage at each point clean it and make sure it is securely connected


make sure your NEGATIVE cable at the battery and at the PIGTAIL to the camera is good...
some negatives to the frame are very poorly assembled , having paint between the wire lug and frame ... needs to be good metal to metal contact
__________________
Tarpon Springs FL
2022 Salem 24RLXL
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:40 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
If the camera is on the running lights ... truck 7pin powered
try disconnecting the truck 7 pin you will then get zero volts to the camera
you then can limit your search for low volts to the TRUCK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If camera is wired into the house battery....
connecting either of the below will increase voltage to the whole RV:
7 pin with truck engine running
shorepower + converter ON
generator + converter ON
thus should increase the voltage to the camera

determine if house battery is the power source and measure voltage starting at the battery and progressing through each component
battery ----> disconnect switch----> fuse ----> Camera

measure voltage at each point clean it and make sure it is securely connected


make sure your NEGATIVE cable at the battery and at the PIGTAIL to the camera is good...
some negatives to the frame are very poorly assembled , having paint between the wire lug and frame ... needs to be good metal to metal contact
Im pretty sure its not on the marker lights. I get the same voltage with the truck connected or disconnected. I have not yet checked voltage while connected to the generator. I wil try that this evening.

Another issue is that I cant find my fuse box. I have another thread asking that question. Ihave searched everywhere except the right place apparently!
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:05 AM   #11
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 21,566
Can you see anything that looks like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power_center.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	296979  
__________________
2015 FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:28 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Can you see anything that looks like this?
Similar but its breakers only. No fuses
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:39 AM   #13
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
Similar but its breakers only. No fuses
You’re absolutely sure there’s no fuses inside this converter?
Can you post a photo?
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
Similar but its breakers only. No fuses
You might have a Progressive Dynamics AC distribution panel. The fuses may be off in their own DC panel. Does yours look like the ones in this link?

https://www.progressivedyn.com/distribution-panels/
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:33 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You’re absolutely sure there’s no fuses inside this converter?
Can you post a photo?
The only panel I can find with a pop open door, 100% does not have fuses. I will post a pic when I get home this evening
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:34 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You might have a Progressive Dynamics AC distribution panel. The fuses may be off in their own DC panel. Does yours look like the ones in this link?

https://www.progressivedyn.com/distribution-panels/
The one on the left!
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
The one on the left!
You DC fuse panel may be nearby to the AC panel. May look for it's cover/door.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:01 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You DC fuse panel may be nearby to the AC panel. May look for it's cover/door.
I spoke with someone at the dealership this morning and he seems to think it's under the stairs. I glanced there and all I could see was a vent. I'm going to double check that too when I get home. That would be a logical spot since its right next to the AC panel. I really don't think it's there though.
sfugatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #19
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 33,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
I spoke with someone at the dealership this morning and he seems to think it's under the stairs. I glanced there and all I could see was a vent. I'm going to double check that too when I get home. That would be a logical spot since its right next to the AC panel. I really don't think it's there though.
If you have a 5th wheel it could be under the stairs to the bedroom. Sometimes you may have a pass thru storage bay near there that has a removable panel/wall inside the pass thru that gives you access to under the stairs.......and/or you have access from removable carpet etc at the stairs. You could also find your converter there too.

I was just involved in a similar thread. Let me find that one.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfugatti View Post
I have a 2024 Sandpiper 4002fb. When I picked it up, The Furrion camera would not work. They sent me the adapter that is supposed to fix the problem. Still no worky. I ordered a cheaper camera system from amazon. Again, no worky. I have been troubleshooting today. I am only getting about 11 volts. Not enough to power the camera. I also learned that it is not getting power from the marker lights. With the truck disconnected, I got the same voltage. Battery fully charged, and also hooked to generator. Someone please tell me you have dealt with this and have a fix!!!!
Normally TT cameras are powered via tow vehicle.
Could it be that the rv dealer sent you the wrong adapter for your truck?
You could check etrailer.com to see the correct adapter for your truck to get proper voltage to power your Furrion unit.
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camera, voltage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.