Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Magic Chef Range Glass Top Hinge Screw

Howdy!
I am running into a dead-end in locating a replacement screw for the hinge on the glass cover of our Magic Chef range model#MCFR21TTB. Magic Chef doesn't even show this model on their parts locator page and a call to them revealed they are built by Forest River and branded as Magic Chef. :shrug:

My dealer stated it could take months to get a single screw from Forest River.

I tried matching one of the remaining screws at Home Depot but was unsuccessful. It appears to be M4.

The closest thing I have been able to locate is a replacement hinge for a Furion glass cover, but it has a different attachment mechanism.

Does anyone have any good leads on where I might find one?

Thanks!
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

can't help sourcing the part but if you haven't done it take the top part of the range apart and see if the screw dropped inside just an Idea.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
can't help sourcing the part but if you haven't done it take the top part of the range apart and see if the screw dropped inside just an Idea.
Hey SeaDog,
I did, unfortunately, I couldn't locate the screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	258209  
Old 07-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

How did you get the top off, I’ve been wanting to do it to check for leaks, haven’t found info on doing it in the manual.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
How did you get the top off, I’ve been wanting to do it to check for leaks, haven’t found info on doing it in the manual.
Take out the two screws on the top towards the back along with the two holding down the knife holder. Then, just slide the top back and lift up from the back!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #6

Sweet and Thanks!

Sounds easiest enough, ours doesn’t have the knife holder behind it so even easier.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

You could try W.W.Grainger. They have just about everything in hardware.

www.grainger.com
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
Howdy!
I am running into a dead-end in locating a replacement screw for the hinge on the glass cover of our Magic Chef range model#MCFR21TTB. Magic Chef doesn't even show this model on their parts locator page and a call to them revealed they are built by Forest River and branded as Magic Chef. :shrug:

My dealer stated it could take months to get a single screw from Forest River.

I tried matching one of the remaining screws at Home Depot but was unsuccessful. It appears to be M4.

The closest thing I have been able to locate is a replacement hinge for a Furion glass cover, but it has a different attachment mechanism.

Does anyone have any good leads on where I might find one?

Thanks!
check ebay, they have the tops there, and I think they have the neoprene screws

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
check ebay, they have the tops there, and I think they have the neoprene screws
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the screws are metal though.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #10

Screws for Magic Chef

I don't know which model of TT you have but I lost a couple on Rockwood Stove and found them either on Amazon or Ebay. When replacing them I used Locktite thread sealer on all of them.
Good Luck
hwfahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #11

Been there too....

I used similar size metal bolts with nuts but used fiber washers until I could get the proper replacements.
In fact I think I found mine DEEP in crevices of the stove top....so don't give up if you don't see them right away.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

If it is an M-4 screw, your local hardware store should have it in those trays in their nuts and bolts section. How long is (was) it? I have a 4x30mm screw I took from a VCR. PM me and I can send it to you. You can always cut it down. Maybe that will help.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #13

Metric machine screws

This assortment includes m4x12 (about 1/2 inch long) machine screws. It looks like they are pan-head.

eBay has a bunch of other options.

Are you certain that the screws are metric. My experience is that NOTHING in our 2008 Cherokee or 2002 Nash are metric; everything is SAE.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #14

Do you have a "Fastenal" store in your area? I used to work for Fastenal and we carried a lot of 4mm screws. Now, IF, you happen to be able to get an identical screw from that range they can match it. Hmm, I just did a search for that model number at "ereplacementparts.com",where I find a lot of appliance parts, and they could not match that model number. Strange

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #15

What's the secret...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Do you have a "Fastenal" store in your area? I used to work for Fastenal and we carried a lot of 4mm screws. Now, IF, you happen to be able to get an identical screw from that range they can match it. Hmm, I just did a search for that model number at "ereplacementparts.com",where I find a lot of appliance parts, and they could not match that model number. Strange
What's the secret to buying at Fastenal? I've tried to buy at the store and online and they seem to keep insisting I have a commercial account or ask for $10 shipping on a $0.75 carriage bolt. I've given up trying to do business with them--never been successful.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 07-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #16

Try Young Farts RV Parts they might have it . Happy Camping
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #17

instead of trying to match the other part, just replace both parts with something that will work, that is what I finally did...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #18

"Larry-NC" It's been at least seven years since I worked for Fastenal. I worked at a "public' store where anyone could walk in and ask if we had a nut/bolt/part that they needed. Than I transferred to a Fastenal store within a huge industrial plant, various buildings connected to make over 3 million square feet under roof. That was private to the plant. Unless Fastenal has changed their store policies I cannot think of any reason an associate would not help you. We sold thousands of just one part at the public store. W.W. Grainger is a good source for parts also but my experience with them is that they don't like to sell onesy's and twos'ys. They like to sell package quanitities. As I posted before I checked the model number provided by the OP with "ereplacementparts.com" and they model did not come up. Maybe the OP posted the wrong model number.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #19

Quote:
"Larry-NC" It's been at least seven years since I worked for Fastenal. I worked at a "public' store where anyone could walk in and ask if we had a nut/bolt/part that they needed. Than I transferred to a Fastenal store within a huge industrial plant, various buildings connected to make over 3 million square feet under roof. That was private to the plant. Unless Fastenal has changed their store policies I cannot think of any reason an associate would not help you. We sold thousands of just one part at the public store. W.W. Grainger is a good source for parts also but my experience with them is that they don't like to sell onesy's and twos'ys. They like to sell package quanitities. As I posted before I checked the model number provided by the OP with "ereplacementparts.com" and they model did not come up. Maybe the OP posted the wrong model number.
The model number is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E92F18FE-4A8D-46C0-894B-36892663952D.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	258314  
Old 07-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #20

I'll try again

Quote:
I'll try again one of these days, at the same public store I used before.

I know what you mean about W.W.Grainger. I still have 48 rivets left after I used 2 to repair the step on the little trailer.