Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2024, 10:49 AM   #1

Magic Chef refrigerator problems

I just purchases a new 2024 Rockwood Mini lite 2516S in January. We are on our first trip and after 2 weeks our 12v refrigerator stopped cooling. The freezer is good but no cooling down in refrigerator section. I have made multiple requests to Forest River Technical Support via phone messaging ( since they dont answer calls) with absolutely not response!! No customer service !!!! Can anyone help advise me of some things to try before giving up and living out of a cooler for the next 3 weeks.
17lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:05 AM   #2

Forest River didn't make your refrigerator. Contact Magic Chef for support. Should be a booklet in your stack of stuff.

Your "dealer" may help but RVs/Campers are like houses, the builder doesn't normally handle appliance repairs.

-- Chuck
Old 04-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #3

Magic chef told me to call Forest River.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17lund View Post
The people you REALLY need to be calling is the dealership who sold you the trailer, for them to determine if you/they need to file a warranty claim for you... but they're going to want to see the fridge themselves and/or get a mobile technician out to you. Different dealerships have different approach to service, you might give your dealership a call and see what they can/will do for you.

As - to be completely frank - neither Magic Chef nor Forest River really have that much to do with the fridge in your trailer. Forest River specs the fridge and buys a ton of them. I'm not sure whom you contacted at Magic Chef, but your particular fridge is actually either a Furrion or – and this is most likely – a Way Interglobal 12v fridge (recently purchased by Furrion), and white-label branded:

https://furrion.com/pages/way-interglobal

Can you tell us what fridge you have? I would guess that it's the current 11cu ft 12v fridge that FR is putting into these things (see attachment). There should be a sticker inside that shows the fridge model.

These 12v fridges (esp the 11 cu. ft. Way Interglobal ones) have one cooling element, and use a fan and ducts to distribute the cold. No cooling in the fridge but plenty cold in the freezer sounds like your fridge has iced up.

Do you recall (1) what setting you had it on while it WAS working, and (2) has it been humid where you are camping and (3) have you been in and out of the fridge a lot? When they work, these things really work VERY well (sometimes too well).

SUGGEST Get the model number and look up the instruction manual for the fridge (they should have supplied you with a paper copy in your camper's papers).

Barring that, do a defrost cycle:

1. Empty the fridge and freezer.

2. Turn the fridge off (press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, that should generally power down the fridge, it does for the 11 cu ft Way Interglobals), but your mileage may vary

3. Pack some towels into the bottom of fridge and freezer, and have a few standing by in front of the door. You'll want to leave the door open and get ambient air in there

4. Let 'er melt, completely, going 24 hours at least.

5. Dry any/all melt up, and let it continue to air dry (again, we want NO additional moisture in here, so let it go longer than you think, I'd go overnight again)

6. Restart the fridge (pressing power briefly, OR cycling power on the trailer) Again, check the manual for YOUR fridge.

7. DON'T SET IT ABOVE 2 for right now. (2 is actually perfect for our use, ice stays rock hard, nothing freezes in the fridge, above 2, things in the back of the fridge can start to ice up. On 5, both the freezer and a good portion of the fridge will be below 32F and you'll ice it all up.

8. If this is working, give it a few days like this and see if this setup will work for you.

9. Watch for frost development going forward.

Just my .02, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 12.53.08 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	298787  
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to Appliances and not general questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
That's ridiculous. The fridge has its own separate warranty and you should be able to use a mobile RV technician.
I would also call Rockwood directly, instead of FR customer service.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:39 PM   #7

Rhumblefish. . Thank you for your tips. We are running a defrosting cycle now. I am hoping it was just frozen up. I’ll let you know what happens
Unfortunately the Rockwood dealership I purchased it from closed up three weeks after my delivery. I’m currently traveling and was just trying to find some possible ideas and fortunately I found you on the FR forums !! So far I see Forest River service is none existent. Very disappointed, leave messages and no one responds. Again thank you for your help.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Rhumblefish. . Thank you for your tips. We are running a defrosting cycle now. I am hoping it was just frozen up. I’ll let you know what happens
Unfortunately the Rockwood dealership I purchased it from closed up three weeks after my delivery. I’m currently traveling and was just trying to find some possible ideas and fortunately I found you on the FR forums !! So far I see Forest River service is none existent. Very disappointed, leave messages and no one responds. Again thank you for your help.
I'm sorry to hear you've been left high and dry by a dealer that closed up. I was actually looking at a dealership that I had priced out my 235 with (House of Camping in Bridgeview IL) only to discover that they had closed up shop too. These were GREAT guys, and we got awfully close on the 235. I would have happily purchased from them, and was planning on giving them a shot.

FWIW, ForestRiver isn't monolithic, it's a bunch of companies - you want the Rockwood division (specifically the one that deals with the Roos). When you get down into the factory and what they actually support (like the parts department), you fill find that they are usually pretty great. Warranty work is almost entirely and exclusively handled by the dealerships (and not the factory - those guys aren't your providers, and you're not their customer. A TINY bit like cars and dealerships, but not the same).

Anyway use the factory for what it's for. Ideally, they could help you because you effectively have no dealership anymore. For YOUR warranty issue, I think you'd need get in touch with a local-to-you dealership and talk with them. You're under factory warranty (which usually means that the dealership will perform the work, and bill the factory (at factory rates).)

I purchased from RVWholesalers, who support their distant customers by pointing you to local service providers, fronting their own money to the local provider for warranty work, and then billing the factory to recoup. I've not had to take advantage of it, and am now out of warranty, but it was comforting to know that it was there when I had it (you can bet I'll be shopping RVW again when it's time).

Definitely circle back with us to let us know what's up. Also, if you hook us up with your fridge model, we can likely get your instruction manual to you.

Sorry that you're having troubles, amigo. I know it doesn't feel good, but maybe you're headed in the right direction.

As always, just my .02 - I could be wrong.. and I sure hope this has helped.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:01 PM   #9

Well guess who my selling dealer was ?? House of Camping !!
Yes they were great with service and very fair on pricing.
This was my second Rockwood purchase from them but George never even mentioned they going out of business
He really let me down. I’ll keep you informed
Old 04-17-2024, 06:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Well guess who my selling dealer was ?? House of Camping !!
Yes they were great with service and very fair on pricing.
This was my second Rockwood purchase from them but George never even mentioned they going out of business
He really let me down. Ill keep you informed
Oh My Gosh! I drove from Napa, California to HOC, to pick our first new RV, back in November 2006. It was a Rockwood Roo and George was my salesperson. They had the best price and we made the 4000 mile round-trip to get it, in 5 days
They were a great family-owned dealership. The Tech set up my Equal-i-zer WDH for free, even though I bought it from RV Wholesalers.
So sorry to hear that hey closed.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #11

Is there a MIXER knob in the freezer?
if so you can select more or less air /cooling to the fridge section

My 12v works great until battery runs out
added lithium batteries and 2 x solar panels and have been off the converter since!

well ... one night had to use converter because it was raining for 2 days
I could have drained the batteries further but had a 15 amp 120v hookup (moochdocking) so took advantage of that.
Next morning had perfect solar weather too!

PS ... forgot to add
Forest river will stand by the warranty and fix things no drama
BUT... you have to contact the manufacturer or the RV/Trailer
so you would call ROCKWOOD their contact info is on the Forest river inc website under the CONTACT US pages
select your MAKE to be given the correct phone numbers

I called them for a non working Microwave
they gave me a list of companies IN MY area they have dealt with
Then the followed through to make sure my problem was fixed
Used a Mobile Tech and NO payment out of pocket was required... discussed this with the tech before work began
Old 05-25-2024, 11:18 AM   #12

What did you end up doing? I have the same refrigerator with the same problem. I've tried everything the only thing that works is putting tape on all the freezer vents except two to force air down to the frig. I've checked the fan works but I suspect I'm forcing the unit to work harder by covering freezer vents. Without covering all but two frig will only chill to 48 when I cover vents in freezer it will go down to 38-40.
I would like to know what happened with yours and if anyone else has any suggestions.
Mvtvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:59 PM   #13

I was told by Rockwood technical assistant to turn freezer to # 1 position and turn frig temp to 3 or 4. I set frig at 3 and has seemed to solve issues. Note your frig will not get any colder then 38-40 degrees no matter what settings are used. Its been running four weeks and no frozen coils !!!
Old 05-25-2024, 10:08 PM   #14

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have freezer on setting #1 and currently frig at #5 with all vents in freezer covered except two and it bounces a lot 39-43. I'm the book it says for summer to set both to #2 in freezer and frig but when I tried that 3 thermometers in frig all read about 46-49 depending on when I would look. My frig also makes a burping noise often. I'm going to call and get authorization for a mobile tech to look at it because it isn't safe the way it's working now.
Thanks again
Old 05-28-2024, 06:59 AM   #15

Mvtvc, I'm wondering if covering all the vents in your freezer compartment is going to impede the airflow of cold air down to the fridge compartment. We have the 10.7 c.f. 12V Magic Chef unit and are having similar problems. I'll be playing the game of setting the freezer knob to a lower setting with the fridge compartment button to a higher number. We'll see.

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:50 AM   #16

There is only one cooling unit in this model. From my understanding this is how it works is it only cools the freezer and there is a fan behind the freezer selector switch. That fan is suppose to circulate the cold air not only in the freezer but to push the cold air down to the frig. By closing or covering some freezer vents it pushes or I should say it forces more air to circulate down to the frig. If you look at the selector switch by taking off the back panel the switch just covers more of the vent that goes to the frig 1 being it allows the most and 5 blocks almost all the air to the frig.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:

Same here. I contacted Magic Chef about my 10 c.f. model MCDCR10DSG and they said the unit is a "licensed product via Forest River" and I would have to contact them for help. What a way to weasel out! There is a Magic Chef manual for the fridge in the binder of information for the trailer, why wouldn't Magic Chef support it?

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator