RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Make of T V antenna

Hi

On the Rockwood campers does anybody know the type and or make TV antenna being put on them. In my case we have a Signature Rockwood 8298 KS ultra lite on order. I am looking in to any and all upgrades or changes I may have to make to it so I'm asking questions such as this.
I assume it is a omni directional. I had one of those bat wing types before on an older camper and it was the worst antenna you could ask for.
Ram 2500
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Hi

On the Rockwood campers does anybody know the type and or make TV antenna being put on them. In my case we have a Signature Rockwood 8298 KS ultra lite on order. I am looking in to any and all upgrades or changes I may have to make to it so I'm asking questions such as this.
I assume it is a omni directional. I had one of those bat wing types before on an older camper and it was the worst antenna you could ask for.
If you didnít like the original bat wing antenna from Wingman, youíre probably not going like any of the newer models. The bat wing was the best there was in my opinion for OTA signals.

Just my $0.02

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

on our Micro Lite 25KS the original antenna was never worth a hoot, after a couple of years of fooling with it I just abandoned it and replaced it with an inexpensive unit from Walmart.com which I mounted on a 24ft painters pole from Lowes, ... the difference is amazing, ... didn't remove, change or modify the original in any way, just quit using it and anything that was a part of the original system, the new one is a rotary model that came with its own amplifier, brought the cable into the trailer thru the propane hatch, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0841.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	241358   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0833.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	241359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0843.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	241360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0844.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	241361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0845.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	241362  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you didnít like the original bat wing antenna from Wingman, youíre probably not going like any of the newer models. The bat wing was the best there was in my opinion for OTA signals.

Just my $0.02
X2. My neighbor had one of those King Jack antennas on his 5er. Miserable reception. He got the info off of my antenna and ordered one from Amazon and replaced the King Jack. Perfect reception. Both of us can get OTA signals 45 miles out of Anchorage, and that's a feat with the mountains!

https://www.amazon.com/Continu-us-Om.../dp/B078J1ZFW3
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
If you didnít like the original bat wing antenna from Wingman,

Just my $0.02

I should have a used another term for it, but I am talking about the ones that look sort of like a bat wing stealth bomber kind of antenna. All plastic .
Ram 2500
Old 10-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. My neighbor had one of those King Jack antennas on his 5er. Miserable reception. He got the info off of my antenna and ordered one from Amazon and replaced the King Jack. Perfect reception. Both of us can get OTA signals 45 miles out of Anchorage, and that's a feat with the mountains!

https://www.amazon.com/Continu-us-Om.../dp/B078J1ZFW3
That is more along the lines of what I'll shop for. Reminds me of years ago when the crank up bat wings were put on campers. Those worked well.
The one you link looks the same , but no need to crank or turn with what you show.
Can't say I'll do anything till I know what I have first.
Ram 2500
Old 10-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
on our Micro Lite 25KS the original antenna was never worth a hoot, after a couple of years of fooling with it I just abandoned it and replaced it with an inexpensive unit from Walmart.com which I mounted on a 24ft painters pole from Lowes, ... the difference is amazing, ... didn't remove, change or modify the original in any way, just quit using it and anything that was a part of the original system, the new one is a rotary model that came with its own amplifier, brought the cable into the trailer thru the propane hatch, ....
Now there s a camper antenna for sure. Not sure I'd want to go that far. I bet it works really well though.
Ram 2500
Old 10-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

I am interested in a new antenna also. We have the original antenna our Georgetown that uses the crank up antenna. We have an appointment with Lifetime Rv Roof to have our roof replaced and they want to do away with the old crank up antenna and replace it with a King Omni Pro for $150 installed. The old antenna seems to work good, they are saying there is less chance with a leak with the King Omni Pro. For the $150. for the antenna it didn't seem like it got that great of reviews.
I like how the one attached to the rear ladder using the painters pole. I might do something like that also. Years ago I used 2 10 foot sections of conduit that one slide inside of the other. That was held on with a clamp. While traveling the conduit and antenna was placed inside of our TT. This was back in the 70's and that antenna didn't use a booster but did pull in a number of stations. I already have an antenna like the one on the top of the painters pole that we use at our house for the tv in the basement.
Great idea.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
I am interested in a new antenna also. We have the original antenna our Georgetown that uses the crank up antenna. We have an appointment with Lifetime Rv Roof to have our roof replaced and they want to do away with the old crank up antenna and replace it with a King Omni Pro for $150 installed. The old antenna seems to work good, they are saying there is less chance with a leak with the King Omni Pro. For the $150. for the antenna it didn't seem like it got that great of reviews.
I like how the one attached to the rear ladder using the painters pole. I might do something like that also. Years ago I used 2 10 foot sections of conduit that one slide inside of the other. That was held on with a clamp. While traveling the conduit and antenna was placed inside of our TT. This was back in the 70's and that antenna didn't use a booster but did pull in a number of stations. I already have an antenna like the one on the top of the painters pole that we use at our house for the tv in the basement.
Great idea.
Yes the pole antenna is a good idea for sure.
We are really thinking about the
RV Roof and that also comes in to play on what I end up using for an antenna also. Not sure just yet about the roof , but thinking really hard about it. About 80% sure will do it. Kings Mt NC is on their list and does the roof. Closest one to us. Anyway what antenna to chose hmmm . Thinking the Continus.us Omni Directional D W listed above maybe a good choice. Who knows I may like the one that comes with the camper, have my doubts . Just would really like to know the exact one they are putting on it and hoped someone here knew.
Ram 2500
Old 10-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Great idea.
thank you, .... the pole(link below) is three 8ft sections for 24ft, but I only extend each of the two inside sections half way(4ft) out for a total length of 16ft, ... but sitting on the bumper, that's about 18ft and plenty of height for our area, ... I also use the "antenna point" app to locate the towers and choose which direction I want to point the antenna, ... this package works great for us, ...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mr-LongArm-...n-Pole/4755038
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0832.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	241397  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

No omni-directional antenna will ever perform better than a directional antenna like the original aluminum Winegard batwing. Case in point, my brother in law camped right next to me in the Adirondacks 2 weeks ago. He has one of the new omni-directional antennas WITH an amplifier. I have the original batwing with NO amplifier. I got channels from Albany and Utica, he received absolutely NO reception. (note - his antenna does work in his driveway at home, so it's not defective.) Ensure the batwing has the new 6 element uhf add-on for uhf channels of which the majority of tv stations use. "Old design" in antennas does not mean inferior performance.

The antenna fella10 has is a directional antenna which just for the fact it's directional means that it'll work better than an omni directional antenna. Directional antennas have what is termed as "gain" in the direction in which their pointed. I understand the concept manufacturers use when they equip motorhomes with bi-directional antennas. No playing around with finding the orientation of best reception, it kind of dumbs down the aspect of OTA (over the air) tv reception, but omni directional antennas just lack the directionality which is necessary in anything beyond local reception.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
W9HAM

The new versions of the bat wing antennas work great. I use the Winegard Sensar IV. The antenna has the addition of a UHF antenna built-in which enhances reception of the digital channels. You may be able to upgrade your existing bat wing antenna by adding the UHF section if your antenna is in good shape. It's easier to just swap out your new antenna. I also added a higher gain Winegard Sensarpro amplifier to increase my reception
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.04.29 PM.png
Views:	15
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	241422  
W9HAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:

Just my $0.02
X my $ .02 as well!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
OldSoldiers

I’ve found the batwing you be superior to most of the new electronic omnidirectional antennae. Maybe more vulnerable to failure and/or damage, but a better performer if you know how to maximize its performance.
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #15

I'm with others and agree the "Winegard Bat Wing" with UHF added elements worked much better than anything else - Had on both of my two previous TT. MH now came with King Jack and it is totally worthless beyond metro area. I currently use an amplified rabbit ear antenna inside and use a thin flat antenna laying above on my outside kitchen door. Really, being outside I can get more and sometime only way I get any stations. I may consider the painter pole as inside TVs reception is better but still poor. I curse the poor, worthless King Jack junk antenna that came with my rig.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
I'm with others and agree the "Winegard Bat Wing" with UHF added elements worked much better than anything else - Had on both of my two previous TT. MH now came with King Jack and it is totally worthless beyond metro area. I currently use an amplified rabbit ear antenna inside and use a thin flat antenna laying above on my outside kitchen door. Really, being outside I can get more and sometime only way I get any stations. I may consider the painter pole as inside TVs reception is better but still poor. I curse the poor, worthless King Jack junk antenna that came with my rig.
MY King signal is also worthless!!!! Can I install the box with the amplifier,power up with 12 volts and connect the signal from the King antenna to the amplifier box then to the TV???
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
W9HAM

Winegard Sensarpro

Yes, you can do it and it should improve the signal quite a bit. I just replaced the amplifier in my camper with the new one so it was fairly easy. Here is a link to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-...3121191&sr=8-1
Old 10-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #18

Just for my clarification, you just swap the King Jack amplifier plate with the Sensor amplifier plate that actually causes the King Jack to be useful? Does all those selections on the Sensor amplifier plate work? What doesn't work? In your opinion does the Sensor amplifier swap work well enough to justify $64.00? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
W9HAM

I didn't have the King Jack so I don't know about how the fit would be. You might have to modify behind the plate with a larger opening. I added a metal electrical extender box (Home Depot) which extended out from the wall about 1". It allowed me to also add an on/off switch on the side of the box. All the settings should work just fine after installation. To me the modest price is worth it to have TV reception or to add additional channels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-...BW35/202264869

Tags
antenna