RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Max Size of outdoor television

My family just purchased a 2017 Rockwood Ultralite 2706WS and it came with the bracket to hang a TV outside on the side of the camper.

My question is what do you think that bracket can handle weight wise or inch wise for a TV. I want a 40 inch but scared that may be too big. 32 looks to be about right. Most of them there is only a 3 pound difference.

Anybody have recommendations? I can't find any weight limits or restrictions.

Thank you in advance!
Chrisplus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Handyman

If it's a dealer or factory installed option, your dealer should be able to get you the weight limit. Really it should have a sticker/tag on it with that information.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Getting the bracket weight limit is good to know, but it only matters if it was installed properly. Into wall stud or a solid mounting structure and with the right mounting hardware. Just because it is factory or dealer installed doesn't make it right, should be but not always .
rickkey2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

I was told it was factory installed. I sent an email to Forest River. They have not got back to me yet. I wanted to know by this weekend so I could buy one and set it up for next weekend.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Usually Confused Member

There was a factory installed TV bracket on the outside of my TT. When I removed it (just didn't want or need it) I discovered all of the screws were mounted through the exterior siding. None of them went into any stud or similar point. I don't see it being able to support very much weigh at all that way. As far as the bracket it appears to be very sturdy. I mounted it by finding the studs on the bedroom wall so it supports a 32" TV with no problems at all.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

Newer flat screens don't weigh much. But you definitely don't want to have any load supported by only the siding. I seem to recall being able to use a high-quality stud sensor on the outside of my TT to find the studs for a bracket.

Assuming you find out how much the bracket will support, another consideration is how are you going to transport and store the TV, and will you have another person that could help you hang a large TV. Don't want to get so big that you don't have a place to keep it...
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
Newer flat screens don't weigh much. But you definitely don't want to have any load supported by only the siding. I seem to recall being able to use a high-quality stud sensor on the outside of my TT to find the studs for a bracket.

Assuming you find out how much the bracket will support, another consideration is how are you going to transport and store the TV, and will you have another person that could help you hang a large TV. Don't want to get so big that you don't have a place to keep it...

That's what I was thinking! I think a 32 inch will be easy to store and take on and off. I think it's big enough to watch as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Great to know the outside TV bracket is not fastened to a wall stud, who was the genius to put it there.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisplus4 View Post
My family just purchased a 2017 Rockwood Ultralite 2706WS and it came with the bracket to hang a TV outside on the side of the camper.

My question is what do you think that bracket can handle weight wise or inch wise for a TV. I want a 40 inch but scared that may be too big. 32 looks to be about right. Most of them there is only a 3 pound difference.

Anybody have recommendations? I can't find any weight limits or restrictions.

Thank you in advance!
If your camper is equipped with the PAW fixture, they're rated at 30lbs max. Most newer 32's and 40's are well under that weight. The first thing you will have to do is ascertain if the bracket is mounted to studding, rather than just to the siding, which is often the case, but not always. You may have to do a mod. One other word of advice. Towards the end of last year's camping season I came across two CG's, one in WA, the other in OR, where they now have rules that state "NO OUTDOOR TV's AFTER 10:30 PM". Seems a lot of folks get carried away with sound bars and surround sound and made a nuisance out of themselves during posted quiet hours. Not saying you're that guy, rather just giving you a heads-up. 10 years ago rules in CG's were few as people were considerate of others. These days not so much. A select few have ruined it for everyone.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #10

Personally, I do not like outdoor TVs for the simple fact that they do disturb your neighbours. The channel you are watching and the sound level may not be as much a joy to your neighbours as it is to you. We sit outside to enjoy the outdoors and to talk to our fellow RVers. Just my 2c.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If your camper is equipped with the PAW fixture, they're rated at 30lbs max. Most newer 32's and 40's are well under that weight. The first thing you will have to do is ascertain if the bracket is mounted to studding, rather than just to the siding, which is often the case, but not always. You may have to do a mod. One other word of advice. Towards the end of last year's camping season I came across two CG's, one in WA, the other in OR, where they now have rules that state "NO OUTDOOR TV's AFTER 10:30 PM". Seems a lot of folks get carried away with sound bars and surround sound and made a nuisance out of themselves during posted quiet hours. Not saying you're that guy, rather just giving you a heads-up. 10 years ago rules in CG's were few as people were considerate of others. These days not so much. A select few have ruined it for everyone.

Yea we watch sports and won't have any sound on anyways. We are camping! LOL! We will do movie nights with the kids as long as we are spaced out from neighbors. Most of what we do will be sports channels.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
Personally, I do not like outdoor TVs for the simple fact that they do disturb your neighbours. The channel you are watching and the sound level may not be as much a joy to your neighbours as it is to you. We sit outside to enjoy the outdoors and to talk to our fellow RVers. Just my 2c.

I hear you there, however I will want to watch and not listen to my games.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

Good luck I emailed them same question to Palomino 4 times about my SolAire 202RB and never heard a word. I am not sure there is a spec for their TV mount.
chuck1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
That all depends on what CG you go to, doesn't it?

If you are in one of our State Parks then there is usually quite a large distance between campsites. Sometimes you cannot even see your next door neighbor. Most of us would like to sit outside enjoying nature while watching TV and outdoor TVs are common, particularly when a local sports team is playing.

If you go to a private CG then the units are usually much closer together and noise can become an issue......our solution, invite them over to watch the game.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #15

Out door TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
. Happens more and more. Outside stero is the worse. Don't assume I want to listen to others music (or so-called) music. 32" should be OK. Happy viewing
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #16

This was not intended to be a debate whether or not you agree or disagree with outside audio/video. I'm just trying to get feedback on what size to go with.

Yes we are those campers that like audio/video. Sorry if you don't agree move on.

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
This was not intended to be a debate whether or not you agree or disagree with outside audio/video. I'm just trying to get feedback on what size to go with.

Yes we are those campers that like audio/video. Sorry if you don't agree move on.

Thank you!

To be on the safe side, I'd go one size up from the bedroom LED preferred (being it's lighter). The in one in the bedroom is intended to go outside, it should have the same mounting bracket.
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Get the one you prefer.....what difference does it make if factory mount has a stud behind it.....you'er sitt'n still!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:

Thank you!
I don't think that being inconsiderate to others will get you much assistance on this forum...........Just Sayin!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Just because someone uses a tv outside or turns on a radio winds you all up, maybe your lawnmower needs to be battery powered...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, television