Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Mini Fridge - what do you do?

We are on a seasonal site that we occupy 7 days on/7 days off (my work schedule). We had a dorm size fridge outside that sat on a table and was plugged in the outdoor outlet. We left it plugged in when we were gone and had very few items in it (soda/water). It worked fine the first couple of weeks but then the 3rd week the motor seemed to burn out. I noticed the fan making a loud noise in the morning. When we inspected it we noticed there was a styrofoam container that had been kind of pushed up against the fan. Once it was moved the noise stopped but then so did the fridge

Personally I think the styrofoam overheated the motor or something but my DH wonders if the dorm size fridges are just not meant to be outside. I disagree only because I see them all over the campground.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated before we go and purchase another. If you do indeed use a dorm size fridge outside, do you leave it plugged in when you're gone for a period of time (we do not leave our awning out when we leave so it is exposed to the elements but I've seen others do the same (just not sure if they leave their fridges plugged in when they do this).

Thank you in advance for any help you may have to offer

Jen & Scott
Scott & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott & Jen
We are on a seasonal site that we occupy 7 days on/7 days off (my work schedule). We had a dorm size fridge outside that sat on a table and was plugged in the outdoor outlet. We left it plugged in when we were gone and had very few items in it (soda/water). It worked fine the first couple of weeks but then the 3rd week the motor seemed to burn out. I noticed the fan making a loud noise in the morning. When we inspected it we noticed there was a styrofoam container that had been kind of pushed up against the fan. Once it was moved the noise stopped but then so did the fridge

Personally I think the styrofoam overheated the motor or something but my DH wonders if the dorm size fridges are just not meant to be outside. I disagree only because I see them all over the campground.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated before we go and purchase another. If you do indeed use a dorm size fridge outside, do you leave it plugged in when you're gone for a period of time (we do not leave our awning out when we leave so it is exposed to the elements but I've seen others do the same (just not sure if they leave their fridges plugged in when they do this).

Thank you in advance for any help you may have to offer

Jen & Scott
Aren't they an "indoor appliance?" Maybe outdoor if very carefully placed!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

I have two in the storage area of my fifth wheel and never had a problem. If you are keeping it outside it might have been exposed to the rain or something which it sounds like your was. If you have seen others keep theirs outdoors and unprotected consider them lucky. These type of refrig. are so cheap they are a great second or third refrig.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

I agree with Vince, they are designed to be used indoors. If left outside they are exposed to direct sun/heat, bugs, and they won't last long.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #5

If the fan had been jammed it may actually have just iced up and needs to defrost.

Beyond that, if it is new it could be a bad unit - I say do a waranty return and try again. Just keep it out of direct sunlight. I see plenty of porch and garage fridges and deep freezers that go for years.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I have two in the storage area of my fifth wheel and never had a problem. If you are keeping it outside it might have been exposed to the rain or something which it sounds like your was. If you have seen others keep theirs outdoors and unprotected consider them lucky. These type of refrig. are so cheap they are a great second or third refrig.
That's a great idea. Think I will get one and plug into 110 receptacle there for outdoor TV. Would it be a problem if storage doors kept closed and the 5th wheel gets afternoon sun at that end?
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinks

That's a great idea. Think I will get one and plug into 110 receptacle there for outdoor TV. Would it be a problem if storage doors kept closed and the 5th wheel gets afternoon sun at that end?
The condenser coil needs cooling air, not alot but some souce of anbient air. It will head an enclosed area. An will stall the reefer cycle.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

The condenser coil needs cooling air, not alot but some souce of anbient air. It will head an enclosed area. An will stall the reefer cycle.
I never had a problem in mine. Unless your storage area gets over a 100 degrees, which i doubt it would, you will not have a problem. I run two in my storage area and as mentioned never had a problem.