Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

my camper is setup for washer/dryer combo from factory

but there's no vent yet.

The water hoses look new, so it's possible that the previous owner never had one hooked up.

My washer dryer closet dimensions are 5’2” high x 30” wide x 24” deep.

The recommended space behind the washer/dryer is 1.5-inches...

Which unit do you recommend?

I have a 1995 Coachmen Royal 360RK 5th wheel that stays stationary on my land...I live in it year-round.
gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcharles View Post
but there's no vent yet.

The water hoses look new, so it's possible that the previous owner never had one hooked up.

My washer dryer closet dimensions are 5’2” high x 30” wide x 24” deep.

The recommended space behind the washer/dryer is 1.5-inches...

Which unit do you recommend?

I have a 1995 Coachmen Royal 360RK 5th wheel that stays stationary on my land...I live in it year-round.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...88HW/207024916

We have just the washer version of this LG unit & our neighbor have this combo unit in their 5'er & love it. It has a larger capacity than the purpose built Splendide RV units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_145445.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	227315  
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

LG is my first preference but the dimensions are just slightly bigger in depth than I have available.

I really don't want to take the door off the hinges and store it outside.

Product Dimensions:
24" width x 33 1/2" height x 25 1/4" depth (45" D with door open)

Weight = 165 lbs.

I also looked at the Splendide 2100XC...It's vented, so I'd have to buy and install a vent kit too.

I've seen people warn against ventless washer/dryer combos saying it takes longer to dry clothing in a ventless unit, and in winter the humidity inside becomes a problem.

What's your experiences?
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

We have the Splendide washer and vented dryer.

The DW is thrilled with it. The dryer being 110 is a little slower than the home unit.

My understanding is the condensation dryer is slower. You have to be real careful with not overfilling the unit. Needs more air space.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

So far, it looks like the Westlake Splendide 7100XC ventless washer/dryer combo suits my needs as regards the depth dimension...22 inches...and only recommending a 1 inch space behind it.

The Splendide 2100XC vented unit has a depth dimension of 22.5 inches, plus I have to buy and install a vent...

I don't mind the added length of time for the ventless unit...I'm just concerned about the humidity issue...but it looks like it's the one.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #6

I have four of the LG and one of the Splendide.

I agree that the LG is better. But I think the Splendide is lighter.

(not even sure why I think they are better.)

My wife and I each have an LG in each of our bathroom closets in each of our two homes (2x2=4). We have a Splendide on the boat.

Performance wise both brands are the same and do take awhile. But I like putting the cloths in and forgetting about them for days.

Consider the size of the tub. Dryer tubs are much larger than washer tubs. So when filling the combo with the intention of using the dryer capability. Fill it proportional to what will fit for a dryer not a washer. And if you do get it wrong (to many cloths) lay the cloths out on a bed for a few minutes and they dry out.

The humidity from the dryer is passed over a plate that gets a mist of water to keep it coolish. The wet dryer gases that would normally be expelled out the side of the RV/house/boat are instead moved out/condensed through the plumbing drain.

I have not noticed any humidity entering the house or boat from either brand. Also, I would be surprised if that happened. The water going down the drain because of the dryer is not hot.

I really like not having holes in the side of my house.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #7

this is a video on a Splendide 2100XC that I thought was informative...enjoy!

Old 04-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #8

Ee have the Splendid units on our 5er and yes they are smaller than a home unit but sure are nice . Never had a humidity issue in the winter, great units beats going to a rip off laundry mat.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #9

Two 5ers back we had a vented combo. Last one we had the Splendide seperates / stackable units. Larger, faster, and my wife says never a combo again. Moved that pair to our new 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #10

we found a good used washer and dryer set for $100 and just sit them outside next to the rear of the motorhome, out of sight - easy to hook up to water, easy to hook up to power, easy to hook up to drain... we're full-time, too. I did have to run a 240v 3-wire extension from my site's breaker box, for the dryer, but that was pretty easy. I run an extension from my spigot to the washer, and use an extension cord from the site's 20amp outlet it. While you don't 'have' to necessarily drain the washer into the septic/sewer, I simply added a 'Y' to my existing 3" drain line... we're on a private site where I can do anything I wish...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
NXR

We have the 2100XC and one thing you'll need to be aware of is whether you have any structural crossmembers in the wall where you'll need to drill the vent hole. One person who had provisions found the current Splendide units were a different size than what his ten-year old RV was designed for. That put the new vent dead center with what his stud finder showed was a wall crossmember. He was planning to build a small elevated base out of 2x4's to raise the washer about 4" to clear it.

The current units also spin at 1,200 RPM. Ours was factory-installed and the cabinet kind of disassembled itself partially after just a few trips. The dealer rebuilt the cabinet and added more support and bracing and it's been fine ever since.

Splendide does have foot brackets that can help hold the unit in place when running but you need to have something strong to screw them into.

Our vent line goes straight out the rear; I'll bet the vent line itself is just a few inches long. Our normal dry cycle is about 40 minutes although heavier loads can go an hour.

The 2100XC uses up to 15 gallons of water on cycle #2, which we use for towels and bedding. The 7100XC is supposed to use significantly more water as part of the condensation drying process. If you're hooked up to a sewer that's probably not a problem.

As someone else noted, how much you load a combo unit affects its performance, especially with regard to wrinkles. Our home LG washer is 3.6 cubic feet and the dryer is 7.1 cubic feet. So the dryer is twice the volume of the washer although that's not really apparent when using it. To assure less wrinkles, if you care, only load the combo so the loose pile of clothes only makes the unit half full.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Don't even think about it.

If you've never had one of those hoses spring a pinhole leak they make a massive mess. I now use metal braided water lines and replace them every five years.

I haven't had to do that with the RV yet, though, but will.

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
LG is my first preference but the dimensions are just slightly bigger in depth than I have available.

I really don't want to take the door off the hinges and store it outside.

Product Dimensions:
24" width x 33 1/2" height x 25 1/4" depth (45" D with door open)

Weight = 165 lbs.

I also looked at the Splendide 2100XC...It's vented, so I'd have to buy and install a vent kit too.

I've seen people warn against ventless washer/dryer combos saying it takes longer to dry clothing in a ventless unit, and in winter the humidity inside becomes a problem.

What's your experiences?

Do you have the room to build out the door frame to gain the 1 1/2" needed to retain the door(s)? We were concerned about that too.....too bad the washer door has a bubble shape. Would be much slimmer if the door glass was flat.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #14

Since I have 24 inches depth, I can get a Splendide 7100XC and have room to spare, plus no venting.

If I want to add room by reconstructing the entry doorway, I'd also have to figure out how to pay for the materials too.

Right now, all I have to figure out is how to pay for the unit...lol.

It sux to be a low-income disabled senior!
Old 04-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #15

most of these washer/dryer units come with new hoses...thank God!
Old 04-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Two 5ers back we had a vented combo. Last one we had the Splendide seperates / stackable units. Larger, faster, and my wife says never a combo again. Moved that pair to our new 5er.
Thanks, I never thought about a stackable pair...the only thing that I don't care for is the 4 inch hole for a dryer vent...ugh!
I have to worry about cutting a stud or electric line.
I have a stud finder, but when you mess with the electric lines, you're screwed.

I don't mind having to move the shelf on top up further to get the vertical space...that's easy.

I'll look for them for sale. They look to be $1,450 new for both units, then the stacking kit costs a bit less than $85 more.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
What's your experiences?

We have an LG. My wife LOVES the combo - put in dirty clothes and take out clean dry clothes without any other handling. It does take longer, but who cares? You don't have to sit there and watch it. As mentioned, the drying capacity is much less than the washing capacity, but if you don't overload, it works great.

Ours is unvented, and it does put out considerable humidity and heat, so I would be inclined to go vented in an RV.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #18

Splendide 2100xc washer/dryer installed today

Just had a mobile tech come by today and install a Splendide 2100xc washer/dryer installed in our Avalanche. It has a closet in the rear bath area which can either take the stack or the combo. We didn't want to lose the clothes hanging capacity so we chose the combo and can still hang our clothes above it. It is a vented unit. Bought it from Camping World today on sale for $997 plus $40 for a vent kit. The mobile tech used a hole saw to cut a hole in the side lined up with the vent exhaust on the machine. The wall was just a foam sandwich... didn't hit any studs or cross members. It fits in the cabinet with room to spare and doors close normally. We had the combo unit in our 43' Country Coach and a stack in our 43' Tiffin bus. The combo dryer takes a little getting used to... but what doesn't in an RV? Wife is tickled to have a washer on board again.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #19

Other posts in this forum indicate that ventless is NOT what you want. Water from the clothes has to go somewhere and it can’t go outside so it will add a lot of humidity to your RV.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Other posts in this forum indicate that ventless is NOT what you want. Water from the clothes has to go somewhere and it can’t go outside so it will add a lot of humidity to your RV.

Not exactly... The dryer on a COMBO unit works through a condenser using cold water. 95% of the water from the clothes (my estimate) goes down the drain, but that other 5% can still fog up the windows.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, factory