Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

My fault: Fridge Defend installation issue

Hello!
I am having a problem and I thought I’d see if I can get some creative ideas from this experienced community. Let me make one thing perfectly clear: This is a problem caused by my own clumsiness and big hands. I would ask all those who read to make sure that no one misinterprets my situation as a fault with the ARP folks or their product.
I’m trying to install the Fridge Defend system that I purchased in the fall (after the fire, but that’s another story!). This seems like it should be well within my abilities – an easily achievable success. (Our fridge is a Dometic DMR 702)
But then, I started… Step 1
The problem I created is this: The ring that holds the temperature sensor on the heater pipe didn’t hold the sensor (bad job supergluing?), then slid all the way around the back of the pipe, to the point where I cannot grab it to pull it back off. You might think – hey, just keep turning it and it’ll wrap around, right? Well, there are two pipes that are so close to each other (welded?) Its now so far up there and so far twisted that, well – another plan is necessary. Also, if there was any excess superglue on the ring – it’s probably working fine now, holding the ring right there!
So, I’m thinking --- there must be another way to get this done. The goal of this step is to simply ensure that the length of the sensor is in direct physical contact with the pipe. At first I thought I’d just get a stainless steel hose clamp and clamp it on, but I now realize that the clamp would have to go around both pipes. Might still work, but my concern is the clamp around two pipes won’t be quite so round, as to allow the sensor to possibly slip out.
I’d send pictures, but there is no way to get something up in there to take the picture. I’m working blind and by feel. Yahoo!
Anyway, I hope I explained reasonably well, and maybe someone with more skills or better ideas than I won’t mind offering some coaching!
Happy Day!
mtb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

If you can heat the superglue to about 200 degrees it will weaken and get brittle, then you might could get the thing out fo there.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:17 AM   #3

Maybe a new sensor and clamp ring from the mfg?
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge