Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 05:21 PM   #1

Need Suggestions For a 28" 12 Volt Television...

The Continu-us CT-28T18 (28" diagonal 12 volt DC) Television in the bedroom of motorhome is being replaced under warranty. While not a phenomenal TV, it certainly worked fine for us.

Sadly, Continu-us no longer makes that 12 volt DC "Touring" version, and we are not interested in a Smart TV, 120 volt AC device, using an inverter, or having a TV that doesn't fit our cabinet space.

We're very eager to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a 28" diagonal 12 volt DC television for use in their RV.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brian View Post
The Continu-us CT-28T18 (28" diagonal 12 volt DC) Television in the bedroom of motorhome is being replaced under warranty. While not a phenomenal TV, it certainly worked fine for us.

Sadly, Continu-us no longer makes that 12 volt DC "Touring" version, and we are not interested in a Smart TV, 120 volt AC device, using an inverter, or having a TV that doesn't fit our cabinet space.

We're very eager to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a 28" diagonal 12 volt DC television for use in their RV.

Have you checked into the Furrion line of televisions?
I didn’t purchase it recently, but it did come as factory in our Sunseeker, and serves us well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B83557F-1011-440F-9DC4-558D392A2D77.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	285023  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:

I just replaced my 40" Continu-us TV in Sept of 2021 in my 2019 Forester 2861DS with the Free Signal model. I think Free signal took over the Continu-us line. Same TV and the same remote. 12 volt plug was the same so I didn't even have to change that over. Your Continu-us remote should work the Free signal. Below is a link to their web site for the 28 inch model.

https://www.freesignal.tv/product-page/transit-28-tv
sonofabeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Have you checked into the Furrion line of televisions?
Thanks for the suggestion. The Furrion (is there anything they don't make?) televisions, especially the feature-filled FDHK32V1A, look great, but had not come up in my searches, as they do not appear to offer anything in the 28" range necessary to fit in our bedroom cabinet.

If perchance I need another and larger 12 volt DC television to replace my others, I will certainly keep them in mind. Again, thanks!
Old 03-22-2023, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabeacher View Post
I think Free signal took over the Continu-us line. Same TV and the same remote...
I appreciate your insight, and the link. The more closely I look at them both, the more your belief makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to share that observation.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Signal-T...dp/B07C1D8FKJ/
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:07 PM   #7

Need Suggestions For a 28" 12 Volt Television...

There’s is this option if you’re capable. If you have questions let me know. It’s very simple.

AC to DC TV Conversion

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-249092.html
Old 03-23-2023, 07:48 AM   #8

Do the buck converter ............. that Ballistic recommends

the converter can also be hidden in a nearby cupboard

PLUS add a on/off switch to the buck converter to conserve power

Samsung make quite a few 19v TV
good quality and it will have Smart Features
Old 03-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #9

TVs nowadays are very low wattage, you can get away with small 12v to 120v inverter and use a 120v TV . No need to purchase a 12v TV.
I’ve used this method Boondocking many times.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
TVs nowadays are very low wattage, you can get away with small 12v to 120v inverter and use a 120v TV . No need to purchase a 12v TV.
I’ve used this method Boondocking many times.
True, you can, but the inverter introduces minor but unnecessary losses. If the motorhome came with a 12 volt TV and already has the wiring in place, replacing with a 12 volt TV makes sense.

Furthermore, the OP stated clearly in post #1, “we are not interested in a Smart TV, 120 volt AC device, using an inverter”, so I don’t understand why you are suggesting a 120v AC TV and using an inverter.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #11
REL

We have a Supersonic with a built in DVD player. Not the best running on 12v. It really needs more power. It will work fine for a little bit but is very susceptible to voltage drop. Once the voltage starts to drop even a little the sound goes out.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
True, you can, but the inverter introduces minor but unnecessary losses. If the motorhome came with a 12 volt TV and already has the wiring in place, replacing with a 12 volt TV makes sense.

Furthermore, the OP stated clearly in post #1, “we are not interested in a Smart TV, 120 volt AC device, using an inverter”, so I don’t understand why you are suggesting a 120v AC TV and using an inverter.

You plug the inverter into the 12v supply for the TV, this way gives you a extra power source for other devices. Many small inverters come with a standard 12v plug .

Suggesting other options is a great way of sharing better and cheaper ways of doing things. 12v tvs are way more expensive than a standard flat screen tv. Plus your options are endless going with 120v tv.

Didn’t realize I couldn’t share ideas and techniques that worked for me and others.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:

This web site has information on RV 12v tvs. https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/
Old 03-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Thanks for the link. Though there's subtle denial in some venues, the Free Signal Transit 28" is by any on-line assessment the very same hardware as the Continu-us television we're needing to replace, at a price point the warranty will fully cover. Again, thanks!
Old 03-23-2023, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
There’s is this option if you’re capable. If you have questions let me know. It’s very simple.

AC to DC TV Conversion

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-249092.html
Thanks for the link and the kind offer of assistance. Though we might do that in the future with another TV and/or another rig, after much thought:
  • Though we're home theater (high end tech) consumers at home, the contrast while on the road is something we've come to truly cherish.
  • If desired, we've historically been able to stream from our smartphone to the former 12V dumb TV in our bedroom via HDMI.
  • The number of 28" screens that will fit our bedroom cabinet are few.
  • We want to keep things simple.
  • The new television is being replaced entirely under warranty.

It's nice to know we have options, and we're hoping those who may wish to use an inverter to support a 120V television in their RV will take rightful advantage of the helpful link you provided when they search this subject. Again, thanks!
Old 03-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Do the buck converter ............. that Ballistic recommends....the converter can also be hidden in a nearby cupboard... PLUS add a on/off switch to the buck converter to conserve power...Samsung make quite a few 19v TV good quality and it will have Smart Features
We were intrigued by what Ballistic suggested, and bookmarked his link for future reference. Your suggestion for an an On-Off Switch is a very good one for those who go the inverter route. Sometimes it is those little things we forget that make a huge difference!

Though we noted many 28" Samsung monitors, we didn't see any Samsung televisions less than 32". While we might hope for something a bit larger, the bedroom cabinet space in our 2020 Forester 3011 sadly won't reasonably accommodate anything bigger than 28".

Again, thanks!
Old 03-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
TVs nowadays are very low wattage, you can get away with small 12v to 120v inverter and use a 120v TV . No need to purchase a 12v TV. I’ve used this method Boondocking many times.
Thank you! It's been great to hear from so many who not only suggest but have experience with use of a small inverter for a single 120V television in their RV. If this were not a fully funded warranty replacement, we sense our money and options could be expanded by thoughtful use of what you suggest.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
We have a Supersonic with a built in DVD player. Not the best running on 12v. It really needs more power. It will work fine for a little bit but is very susceptible to voltage drop. Once the voltage starts to drop even a little the sound goes out.
That's excellent feedback of a common issue (voltage fluctuation) worthy of consideration in using any technology in the RV environment. We're sorry to hear you experienced that problem. Though we won't be going the DVD player route at this time, we will certainly be researching manufacturer's documentation for stated specifications, as well as reading reviews that mention voltage issues. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #19

There are a lot of 24 inch 12 volt tv's out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:47 PM   #20

Nearly all 12VDC televisions are 120VAC units with an internal inverter, so their power use is nearly identical to a 120VAC unit with external inverter.

You don't even need to use a "pure sine wave" inverter either. I have a cheap "modified sine wave" inverter from Costco that works just fine with my 24 inch, 120VAC LCD television. This TV cost $90 and the inverter was about $30.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, television