Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #1

New camper over the air antenna not working

We just bought a 2022 Cherokee 274AK and the over the air antenna isn’t working. Called FR and they said to check the splitter. I am somewhat familiar with electronics, just don’t know what exactly to look for. We were going to take it back to the dealer since we had only had it one week when we noticed this but they act like they aren’t sure either. 😩 I did hook up another tv in the bedroom and it doesn’t pick up anything either. Green light is on. This is our 3rd camper and we have never had trouble picking up channels where we live. Also, we have an outside hookup but haven’t tried that one yet. I have no idea the brand of antenna as the paperwork doesn’t have anything on it. It’s white and round. That’s all I’ve got. Hubby did look at it but it’s just an antenna sealed with no buttons or anything. No crank on the inside of the camper either. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring at the splitter? I did take the cover off and everything was tight and connected as far as I can tell. We haven’t been camping in it yet but was hoping to get this fixed before we head out in February. Thanks for any help!!!
TeamFaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
Retired Army MSG!

Have you run a channel scan on your TV while hooked up to the antenna. You probably have but with the excitement of a new rig we do forget sometimes. Hope you get it worked out.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Team

You have an omnidirectional antenna. Those are known for not picking up signals very well.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #4

Since you did not mention it.

Did you turn on the "amplifier"? See picture 1.

The outside connection is for a cable hook up. Then the amplifier should be off.

Splitter looks like this. Picture 2.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV amp.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	268087   Click image for larger version

Name:	rf solitter.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	268088  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFaris View Post
We just bought a 2022 Cherokee 274AK and the over the air antenna isn’t working. Called FR and they said to check the splitter. I am somewhat familiar with electronics, just don’t know what exactly to look for. We were going to take it back to the dealer since we had only had it one week when we noticed this but they act like they aren’t sure either. �� I did hook up another tv in the bedroom and it doesn’t pick up anything either. Green light is on. This is our 3rd camper and we have never had trouble picking up channels where we live. Also, we have an outside hookup but haven’t tried that one yet. I have no idea the brand of antenna as the paperwork doesn’t have anything on it. It’s white and round. That’s all I’ve got. Hubby did look at it but it’s just an antenna sealed with no buttons or anything. No crank on the inside of the camper either. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring at the splitter? I did take the cover off and everything was tight and connected as far as I can tell. We haven’t been camping in it yet but was hoping to get this fixed before we head out in February. Thanks for any help!!!

The plate you talk about with the “Green light is on”. (TV antenna booster)
Unfasten it from the wall and check the connections on the back.
There’s no telling where they may have installed a splitter, but hope it’s close by.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The plate you talk about with the “Green light is on”. (TV antenna booster)
Unfasten it from the wall and check the connections on the back.
Oki Dokie. All the ones I have seen were red.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As Iwritecode mentioned, unfortunately, those Omnidirectional antennas are known for not picking up channels well. There have been lots of posts with unhappy results.

You mentioned the green light was on so that's good, it's needed to power the amplifier in the antenna for over the air channels. (It will be off for park cable) And I'll second making sure you did a proper antenna selection and channel scan.

Often the splitters pictured are located behind the wall plate where the green light is but not always.
You could pull the wall plate and look.

You won't find a diagram or mention of splitter location in any of your documents because it doesn't exist.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

Might be wired something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV diagram.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	268089  
Old 01-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #9

Update to no over the air reception

Thank you all for the help. Like I was saying, this is our 4th camper and we have had it since December. We have tried everything. Yes the light is on. Yes I scanned the channels… on both TVs. It is a new tv too (Sansui) that I have never operated before but did figure the channel scan out. And the other tv I have had a long time so I knew how to do that one anyway. So… I’m in in the camper now and figured it out. I took the plate off and the problem is that the white wire is not hooked up at all. And I can’t pull it to make it longer to actually connect it. I tried unscrewing the fitting that was still attached to the board and … dropped it in the wall… of course. I will have to buy another one or just take it to the dealer. They didn’t leave any give in the wire so no wonder it came loose being hauled. I will attach a picture and what you can see of the wire is as far as it will come. I didn’t move the tv so that’s the best pic I can get. But at least I figured it out. With the wire being white and the insulation white too I never even noticed it with the two other wires hooked up.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #10

Okay, now it's easy

Quote:
Thank you all for the help. Like I was saying, this is our 4th camper and we have had it since December. We have tried everything. Yes the light is on. Yes I scanned the channels… on both TVs. It is a new tv too (Sansui) that I have never operated before but did figure the channel scan out. And the other tv I have had a long time so I knew how to do that one anyway. So… I’m in in the camper now and figured it out. I took the plate off and the problem is that the white wire is not hooked up at all. And I can’t pull it to make it longer to actually connect it. I tried unscrewing the fitting that was still attached to the board and … dropped it in the wall… of course. I will have to buy another one or just take it to the dealer. They didn’t leave any give in the wire so no wonder it came loose being hauled. I will attach a picture and what you can see of the wire is as far as it will come. I didn’t move the tv so that’s the best pic I can get. But at least I figured it out. With the wire being white and the insulation white too I never even noticed it with the two other wires hooked up.
Okay, now it's easy. You just need two things:
  1. A barrel connector like this or this.
  2. A short cable extension with F-59 connectors on both ends like this. Or you can buy 6-foot cables everywhere and just stuff it into the wall.
It's a shame that the lazy assembler cut the cable too short and just walked away from it instead of doing the job right.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #11

Unscrew every TV plate and make sure all F Connectors are tight. Our new 2021 FR Cedar Creek had same problem all were loose and one actually fell off the splitter. Very poor quality work.
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Might be wired something like this.
X2. Just like mine.
OldJarHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:

After doing all the suggestions for attaching the cable and if the tv still does not pick up signals. You could get on the roof and verify the cable is connected to the actual antenna.
There is also a tool that is pretty cheap on Amazon where you can check your cables for continuity, it’s called a video cable mapper and tester. Maybe the cable is broken or a staple was put through it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3448.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	268107
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Okay, now it's easy. You just need two things:
  1. A barrel connector like this or this.
  2. A short cable extension with F-59 connectors on both ends like this. Or you can buy 6-foot cables everywhere and just stuff it into the wall.

It's a shame that the lazy assembler cut the cable too short and just walked away from it instead of doing the job right.
I think the OP says in post #9, the coax connector actually PULLED OFF the white coax (likely when removing the wall plate) and when they unscrewed the pulled off connector from the back of the wall plate, they dropped it inside the wall.

They are going to have to somehow (through the wall opening) install a coax connector back onto the white coax before being able to do what you suggest.

I could have misread post #9.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #15

Maybe you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I think the OP says in post #9, the coax connector actually PULLED OFF the white coax (likely when removing the wall plate) and when they unscrewed the pulled off connector from the back of the wall plate, they dropped it inside the wall.

They are going to have to somehow (through the wall opening) install a coax connector back onto the white coax before being able to do what you suggest.

I could have misread post #9.
I wasn't sure where the fitting was. That's going to be tricky unless they can get the clever tool that strips, slides, and crimps. They are annoyingly expensive for a single-use. Some of the tools can reach into the hole and crimp the new fitting on. I wonder if the assembler couldn't reach in and decided to just slide the F-59 connecter on the cable without crimping it.

Their best bet would be to buy a six-pack for a friendly cable TV installer.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #16

Thank you all for all of the great suggestions.

Yes, I did drop the fitting into the wall. 😩 I was not working with much space but have since figured out how to get the tv off of the wall. It’s about a 60” TV so that was a job too. So now, I just need to get another fitting and a crimping tool. My hubby thinks they sell those at his work. 🤞 And Larry, thanks for the link to the extender on Amazon. Just ordered it. We were thinking about just cutting a new hole a little bit down from the existing one since it’s all behind the tv and making it easier for the wire to reach. It really is a shame that someone jacked it up like that. Must have been a Friday at 4:45. So this is our plan, but if it doesn’t work then I will for sure be offering up that 6 pack to a cable repair guy. 😉 I will post an update probably next weekend.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #17

Also...

Quote:
Yes, I did drop the fitting into the wall. 😩 I was not working with much space but have since figured out how to get the tv off of the wall. It’s about a 60” TV so that was a job too. So now, I just need to get another fitting and a crimping tool. My hubby thinks they sell those at his work. 🤞 And Larry, thanks for the link to the extender on Amazon. Just ordered it. We were thinking about just cutting a new hole a little bit down from the existing one since it’s all behind the tv and making it easier for the wire to reach. It really is a shame that someone jacked it up like that. Must have been a Friday at 4:45. So this is our plan, but if it doesn’t work then I will for sure be offering up that 6 pack to a cable repair guy. 😉 I will post an update probably next weekend.
Also sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. May have to buy a pack of 10 or 25 connectors. There are two varieties of cable, RG-6 and RG-59 (sometimes written as RG6/U and RG59/U). Their diameters are slightly different and each takes a different crimp-on connector, although the threaded end of each type is identical. If you can see enough of the cable (or the other cables) to read the printing on the jacket, you will be able to get the right connectors.

Don't forget you will need the barrel connector to use the extension.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #18

I didn’t even realize all of that…

Thank you so much!! I might be able to read the writing on them now that the tv is out of the way. My husband works at a farm and lumber business and he said they have those, but if not the right ones I will check those other places. I thought maybe if he does have them I wouldn’t have to buy a large quantity. Again… thank you. I have learned so much just today. 😉. We haven’t even taken it out yet so I will probably be back with questions on the back up camera and solar. 😂😂 Hopefully they will all work and it won’t be an issue. Just never had those things in the other 3.

Tags
antenna, camper