Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

New Coachmen Viking 17fb TV antenna problem

New camper has a roof mounted batwing type antenna and it is a fixed type no crank no lift.There is a wall mounted preamp light turns red when you turn it on.I can only bring in 2 channels at my favorite camp ground.Told the dealership service director about it and his response was Ohh those thing do not work very good.Camper also has a place to plug in either sat or cable two seperate connectors on side of camper.So I took my old antenna from my old camper and tried it.Hooked it up outside with its preamp direct to TV and get 18 channels.Then I tried hooking it up to the cable connector on side of camper and put TV inside and hooked it up to the wall plate.Again just 2 channels.Should that cable connection work for my antenna or is it only for cable.Is the service director full of it or is that the way it goes with that factory installed antenna.Should this be covered by warranty or is it just something that is the way it is.Why do they install these at the factory if they are basically a piece of junk.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #2

Or crank up weingard ant works great. Check all the coax connectors and ground wires.
Dealer rep is an idiot.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Yea I was thinking he was a idiot my self.With the problem the way it is now it also limits the amount of radio stations I can receive from the built in stereo system.His response to that was yea that is just the way it is.People use them to stream music from there smart phone or other device.They do not use them for the radio.Hmmmmm really!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take a look at it my self but I feel that is what the warranty is for.Besides the wall plate and coax is in the wall and if I take the wall plate loose whats to see.Not sure what you mean by a ground I always thought it was just coax hooked to a antenna hooked to a TV. Would not want the walls ripped out to fix the problem but why have a antenna coming through the roof if it is worthless.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Head Rambler

Those so called "omnidirectional" antennas are pretty crappy. Ours completely died a while back so I replaced it with a Winegard Razar Z1 and now I get 26 channels and the towers are between 60 and 70 miles away.

By hooking the antenna to the cable port of the RV you have to have the power supply turned off for it to pass signal. Therefore, the amplifier in the antenna wasn't getting any power. That's why you couldn't get any channels with it hooked to the cable port.

For that to work you'd have to remove the wall plate/power supply and switch the cable and antenna coaxes. Then the power supply would send power out the cable coax and power the antenna amplifier.

I took the old Omni apart when I removed it from the roof and here's what it looks like inside. Notice the nice rusty metal on the disc. It's that way on both sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	177569
Old 06-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

With the simple batwing antenna on our unit, I have been surprised at the number of stations it pulls in. After doing a scan on our little TV set, we have picked up many more digital stations that I would have expected. Itís almost enough to get me to dump Comcast at home and use a digital antenna.

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna