Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

New Dometic A/C unit trips breaker on startup

We have a 2012 Forrest River Surveyor 301. We have had our Domestic A/C unit replaced under our bought warranty due to it icing up. On a 90 plus degree day, when the compressor kicks in, it trips the breaker. We reset the breaker and it runs fine after this. Any suggestions on why it does this on the initial kick on? Thanks in advance
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 AM   #2

It could be a lot of things, without knowing the amps it is pulling on start up, everything will be a guess. What you can do which will help it get out of the start wind faster is to install a hard start, I think you can buy 1 on Amazon. I think it is a SSP6 you just plug it on to the compressor capacitor. Make sure your wires are tight at the breaker and A.C.. I have seen your problem before in the industry. Adding the hard start will take care of it if it's the compressor itself. Can't tell with out knowing the amps on start up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Team

As said above, check all the electrical connection and make sure they're clean and tight.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a weak breaker. I'd consider changing it out. You could even swap wires with something else if you have another breaker the same size (should be 20 amps).

As Witch Doctor also said, A hard start kit won't hurt.

Tags
breaker