Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

New Grey Wolf 23DBH, poor radio.

I picked up a 23DBH this week with the Furrion DV7200 radio. It works great on bluetooth, but it gets almost no radio reception. If I manually go to a station I can almost hear something through the static.
I took the radio out, and the antenna is plugged in. But if I unplug it, it makes no difference in reception quality. That suggests to me that the antenna isn't hooked up somewhere.
Looking at the roof, the closest thing I see is a round antenna that I assume is the radio, which is all sealed so I don't know if its connected. Is there any way to tell if that's the correct antenna and if that's even where it goes without tearing everything apart? Anything else I could check before bringing it back to the dealer?
NotLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

is the power to the antenna on?

Little button on the plate
nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #3

My experience is that you only get decent signal with the antenna booster 'on' (lamp will be lit on the wall plate). If it's not on, you'll get next to no reception on AM or FM.

I have the prior version of Furrion's radio, which has the DVD mechanism (FR switched to these mechless versions over the last year or two)

Here's a link to the install / usage guide for your radio (w/ specs):

https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906119376...200_IM_WEB.pdf

Looking at the antenna connection (lower RH side), it looks like it's a standard auto 'mini' jack. You could hook one up to this input, and either connect that to something like a coat hanger or a dipole, or even a pair of old rabbit ears (FM), to see if you get better reception that way.

From the specifications, it doesn't appear the capture ratio / sensitivity is that great. So if you're testing it at home, you may notice less reception, compared to better quality home / car equipment.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

It would be great if that was the case. I don't see anything on the front that looks like it though, am I looking in the right area? Sorry for the picture quality.

It would be great if these things came with a real manual, I could swear it was working fine when we did the walkthrough. It was also much closer to civilization than I am now though.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_202348.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	207724Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_202332.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	207725
Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

The antenna booster needs to be on. It is likely behind the main television.

Looks something like this. Push the little black button then the green LED will come on. Make sure to turn it off when you are done. It draws down 12-volt power.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Site Team

As far as I know, the booster button is only for tv signals, not for radio.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

well it needs to be on for me to get a signal
nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Every unit I have owned if it did not have a separate radio antenna they were paired to the TV antenna.

Aaron

Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #9

I have this above where the TV mounts, turning it on or off makes no difference in reception. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_205026.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	207730
Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

Others have reported their antenna was never plugged into their radio. You need to pull the radio out to check.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:26 AM   #11

Already pulled the radio out, the antenna is plugged into the radio and connected to a white coax looking cable after a foot or so. Both those connections are good from what I can see.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #12
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLost View Post
Already pulled the radio out, the antenna is plugged into the radio and connected to a white coax looking cable after a foot or so. Both those connections are good from what I can see.
Pull the antenna plate and see if the coax is fed to that? May need to check for continuity.

Aaron [emoji41]

Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #13

Buy a car radio antenna at Walmart, AutoZone and plug it in for testing. Am will suffer, hide it behind radio if you have too.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #14

Thanks for all the advice so far. Talked to the dealership about the issue, their suggestions matched up with what everyone has suggested here. One other thing that they mentioned was the booster behind the plate could be unhooked so I'm going to check that, and the connection on the roof. Otherwise, he said the antenna isn't great, I could be in a dip/dead spot. I'm moving the camper this weekend anyways, so that's another thing to try.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Others have reported their antenna was never plugged into their radio. You need to pull the radio out to check.
Buy a cheapo car antenna and plug it into the radio, throw it outside, and you'll verify radio function and rule out the winegard. My Jenson works without the tv amp on. TV does not. If you have good results with an aftermarket auto antenna, try setting it behind the radio. Might work. But if you have aluminum siding, probably won't. You probably have an "Air 360" antenna. If so, the AM/FM circuit is isolated from the TV circuits.
I use sat DirecTV, but the 360 is respectable and simple to use.
If your cheap auto antenna perks up your radio, I'd guess the radio coax connection should be verified inside the 360. It's simple inside. All fixed antennas.
I found a bad Sat coax connection in my 31V. Not knowing the routing of these things makes simple things complicated.
And, as stated, if you have Azdel or some similar siding, an AM/FM antenna will pickup inside (typically). Height improves signal strength, but that's a relative subject. Stuff it anywhere.
One beef with the 360 amplifier location in my 31V is that its 8' up on the ceiling...duh! And same with bath vent...8' up. Need a powered vent....I can only afford a stick...
JR
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice so far. Talked to the dealership about the issue, their suggestions matched up with what everyone has suggested here. One other thing that they mentioned was the booster behind the plate could be unhooked so I'm going to check that, and the connection on the roof. Otherwise, he said the antenna isn't great, I could be in a dip/dead spot. I'm moving the camper this weekend anyways, so that's another thing to try.
I have to turn off all my LED lights in order to get a decent signal on the radio.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
I have to turn off all my LED lights in order to get a decent signal on the radio.
Sounds like the AM/FM antenna pigtail is not attached to the antenna. It's located beneath the antenna in the ceiling. Assuming you have a winegard Air 360 antenna. Looks like a cake cover. The amplifier is not attached to the AM/FM coax.
There's 2 antennas beneath the cover, an AM/FM butterfly and an omni directional loop for HDTV.
If you have any other antenna, with a combined radio and tv antenna, it'll be similar. The amplifier has only 3 coax connections....1 antenna input. 1 TV 1 out, and 1 TV 2 out. It is powered by 12v. Post what you find. Always interesting
Good luck!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #18

Moved to a different location, so its not a dead spot there are similar campers there getting reception. Do I have to get up on the roof to check the antenna connection?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #19

Opened up the face plate where the power antenna switch is, those connections were a little loose. As I pushed the wires back into the wall... perfect reception. It didn't last, but it definitely points me to a loose connection. Next stop, the roof!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Opened up the face plate where the power antenna switch is, those connections were a little loose. As I pushed the wires back into the wall... perfect reception. It didn't last, but it definitely points me to a loose connection. Next stop, the roof!
Unsure of your antenna, but the radio antenna may have a pigtail that terminates under the roof, near the interior faceplates. Might want to ID antenna and verify where the connection is located. The radio antenna lead is separate from the tv leads.
Be cautious removing the rooftop antenna base from the roof membrane...should that become necessary.
Good luck and please advise antenna brand and describe resolution. You never know when the gremlins will 'invade'...

Tags
grey wolf, radio