Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

New observation camera installed - question on aiming

I have installed a Amtifo observation on our TT and I have a question or two about aiming correctly. I've attached a couple photos showing the camera as I mounted it as well as a shot of the monitor after it was aimed how I think it should be.

As it is aimed now I can see a bit of my rear bumper - that seems right since I want to avoid backing into things at the CG or other parking. However, with it at this angle, it seems like I only have a view of about 20' behind my TT. I thought I'd see more than that. DO I have to re-adjust the camera when I switch from backing to highway driving? That seems like a bit of a hassle but not impossible.

Sorry about the orientation - couldn't get it to rotate for me. Tilt your head 90 degrees and it looks fine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_145938.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	231042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_145942.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	231043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_150120.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	231044  
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Yep, you need to angle it up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, you need to angle it up.
So you angle it up so you see farther back and leave it there? Then you can't see the bumper which when I use my truck's BU camera is very useful. I guess I could estimate once I start getting close...
Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

The camera is not oriented properly to give you the best view of rear traffic. And, you will not be able to elevate the camera because the antenna will prevent you from doing so.
I purchased a Haloview camera and mounted it to my Furrion mount. Yes, I had the adapter to get the camera mounted but the Haloview antenna was also mounted on the left side of the camera. I got the camera mounted, but like you, I could not elevate it properly because of the antenna location. I wanted to keep the Haloview because it is a fantastic camera but in the end, I returned it to Amazon.
I don't think you are going to be satisfied keeping the camera in its restricted position. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoussenior View Post
The camera is not oriented properly to give you the best view of rear traffic. And, you will not be able to elevate the camera because the antenna will prevent you from doing so.
I purchased a Haloview camera and mounted it to my Furrion mount. Yes, I had the adapter to get the camera mounted but the Haloview antenna was also mounted on the left side of the camera. I got the camera mounted, but like you, I could not elevate it properly because of the antenna location. I wanted to keep the Haloview because it is a fantastic camera but in the end, I returned it to Amazon.
I don't think you are going to be satisfied keeping the camera in its restricted position. Just my opinion. Good luck.
The haloview is not designed to use that furrion plastic shell. It you remove it, the mounting bracket aligns with the holes in the trailer. I did use the rubber gasket, because it gave me something to seal. It also allows you to position the camera as you prefer.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 21 FBRS
TOW vehicle- 2020 Ram 1500 , 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 rear end, tow package with trailer blind spot.
Max Tow capacity-8379 with full payload
Max payload- 1721
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

I used the Furion shark fin because I thought it might work out OK and I have a small milling machine that allowed me to make a custom mounting plate that fit inside of the shark fin. Even if I remove the shark fin and mount right to the TT wall, the angle the camera needs to be at to see the back bumper would be the same. Yes it would let me rotate it further upward (no interference with the antenna) so I could see farther behind me but the main reason I bought the camera system was for backing into campsites and into our driveway - the traffic monitoring would have just been a bonus.

I guess I can't have both without physically rotating the camera to get the proper angle for each type of view. Not a big deal but obviously, it would be nice if it could see both things from one position.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #7

I'm really new here and I cannot get my rear camera to tilt. It's just pointing at the hitch. Is the tilt a software thing or mechanical driven by a little motor or something? I have a Jensen system that came with my 2011 Itasca 32h. I would love it if all I have to do is move the thing for now. I have a very bad back so I only climb things when necessary
CorkyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyM View Post
I'm really new here and I cannot get my rear camera to tilt. It's just pointing at the hitch. Is the tilt a software thing or mechanical driven by a little motor or something? I have a Jensen system that came with my 2011 Itasca 32h. I would love it if all I have to do is move the thing for now. I have a very bad back so I only climb things when necessary
You should ask your question in the Dynamax sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #9

I had the same problem and the solution I came up with is to have two cameras. I had the factory back up camera which shows the area immediately behind the Rv and I installed another camera that she's me a view is the road and traffic behind reconnected to an extra video input in my dear view monitor. I do have to switch the monitor on manually but it works great as a rearview mirror. When I shift to reverse it automatically goes to the factory back up camera.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyM View Post
There are set screws on both sides of the camera. Loosen them up and the camera can be tilted all you want.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #11

I'm thinking that both the Haloview and Furrion cameras have a much wider angle lens. On mine, I can see the sky and up to about 5 feet behind the trailer. I suppose I could angle it down a bit more but haven't had the need.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I have installed a Amtifo observation on our TT and I have a question or two about aiming correctly. I've attached a couple photos showing the camera as I mounted it as well as a shot of the monitor after it was aimed how I think it should be.

As it is aimed now I can see a bit of my rear bumper - that seems right since I want to avoid backing into things at the CG or other parking. However, with it at this angle, it seems like I only have a view of about 20' behind my TT. I thought I'd see more than that. DO I have to re-adjust the camera when I switch from backing to highway driving? That seems like a bit of a hassle but not impossible.

Sorry about the orientation - couldn't get it to rotate for me. Tilt your head 90 degrees and it looks fine!
larry2c, I recall someone had an extender for their antenna which was basically a wire with connectors on either end that allowed them to mount the antenna a few inches away from the camera. You’ll need something like that to allow you to rotate the camera up for a much better viewing angle.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Found the video I was thinking of. Go to 1:15 in this video.

2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
larry2c, I recall someone had an extender for their antenna which was basically a wire with connectors on either end that allowed them to mount the antenna a few inches away from the camera. You’ll need something like that to allow you to rotate the camera up for a much better viewing angle.
I may look into that. I can actually rotate the antenna 90° and get a good bit more "up angle". However, if I do that then I don't see the very back of the trailer.

I got two cameras with the system - maybe I rotate the one on the shark fin up to use as a "rear view mirror" and then mount the other one down where it can show me the bumper when backing up.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #15

Just curious, have you checked pictire reception with the antenna horizontal?

Antenna position doesnt seem to matter on mine.
Even pointed out to side?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just curious, have you checked pictire reception with the antenna horizontal?

Antenna position doesnt seem to matter on mine.
Even pointed out to side?
Only with the truck parked out in the street - maybe 60 feet from the camera. I will be hooking up and heading out for the weekend (YES, the parks are open!!!). I'll let you know how it works out then.

I also looked at some "extension chords" like itat mentioned. I'll see how it works with the factory antenna first and go from there.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

I just installed the Haloview RD7. It has the antenna on an extension cable. I tried the 12" short cable but, the reception in the truck was terrible. (rear of Toy Hauler to truck ~ 38') I used the included extension cable and mounted the antenna on the Max Air housing for the front bathroom fan. I now have 3 bars reception no matter how I have the monitor antenna facing.
Mike_Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:18 PM   #18
Hot Dog Slayer

Could you mount the camera upside down so that the antenna would work with the Furrion mounting bracket, and then just rotate the image on the 7" monitor?

I don't have one, but I know I can rotate the image on my Furrion system.

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #19

I think it is fine where it is. I don't really use my camera on the highway except to keep an eye on the bikes. It is mainly for backing in parking lots and campsites and keeping an eye on the bikes. Your side mirrors are for the highway. I stay out of the left lanes except to pass so if somebody is tailgating me I can't do anything about it anyway and they show up in the camera.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #20

In the process of installing the MC7108 camera and find that the long bolts used to attach brackets together have 2 washers on it that seem impossible to take off of the bolt. Can buy new bolts but frustrated that washers are not removable to be used properly. Sent email to Haloview to help solve this issue. How have others used these washers?

Del

2020 Rockwood Minilite 2511S
2012 F 150 Ecoboost
delseb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, led