Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

New TV (television) standard coming

FCC Approves Next-Gen TV For OTA Broadcasting | TvTechnology

“If you are an over-the-air viewer, you will either need to purchase a new television set or some sort of converter, and if you are a pay TV viewer you would need to purchase a new set-top box,”

There are a fair number of places we go that does not have cable TV availability, so over the air is what we use. Maybe this will be the kick I need to get dish or DirectTV.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

The potential problem with using a "set-top box" is that the box needs some sort of bracket that would keep it from falling from the top of the (TV) set. The tops of TV's made during the past many years are, at most, an inch or so thick, and usually not even flat.

The plan calls for TV broadcasters to maintain transmissions of the "1.0" signals along with the "3,0" signals for at least five years, which means they could carry them for longer than five years. That would depend upon the demands and ratings from the end users.

At the end of the day, before I pull the trigger on one of the new sets, I will consider the price point from the stealership selling the new TV set, because it is what it is.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

Better than a dish, renew your library card and enjoy a good book in the outdoors.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Enjoying Life

It took over 10 years for Digital to totally take over OTA. I would suspect that the 5 year time frame would likewise adjust. The advertisers will drive the totality of the change if they perceive viewership will not be a quick mover then the compatibility will remain. In today's electronic world the "set top" box may end up being no more than a small screw in adapter on the antenna line. LG has already begun trial production of 3.0 compatible products as S. Korea is ahead of us in adopting the standard. We may even see crossover units which will have dual tuners as there were some during the analog to digital conversion.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
It took over 10 years for Digital to totally take over OTA. I would suspect that the 5 year time frame would likewise adjust. The advertisers will drive the totality of the change if they perceive viewership will not be a quick mover then the compatibility will remain. In today's electronic world the "set top" box may end up being no more than a small screw in adapter on the antenna line. LG has already begun trial production of 3.0 compatible products as S. Korea is ahead of us in adopting the standard. We may even see crossover units which will have dual tuners as there were some during the analog to digital conversion.
Exactly. SDR (Software Defined Radio) has been around for years. Software defined television is the next logical (no pun intended) step.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

Voluntary roll-out probaby means that wide distribution of this technology is a long way down the road. Now that the standard is out there, TV manufacturers still need to upgrade their devices first. As long as your existing antenna still works, you're probably fine. By the time they start phasing out the 1.0 standard, you'll probably want a new TV anyhow.
dhfenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

This is driven by the TV manufacturers. For years they have been in a slump. They tried hard to market things like 120/240 Hz picture, 3D (total failure), curved screens, 4k (no broadcast content), smart TV (awful 'apps'), but for the casual TV watcher a 5 year old HDTV with a Roku, FireTV or Apple TV covered it. Now they can look forward to the land of milk and honey again ....
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

Oh gosh, you mean I may have to replace my plasma TV in five years?

So sad.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post

So sad.
Me, too... my Samsung 46" LCD is still like new @ 11 years old.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

I expect this technology to make its' debut in RV's about 10 years after they discover HDMI cables and Blue Ray.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post

So sad.
I had a hard time getting rid of my big old plasma. It wasn't easy rounding up four friends strong enough to lift that beast off the wall!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Better than a dish, renew your library card and enjoy a good book in the outdoors.
I'll meet you halfway. I'll sit outside and enjoy a good book, but I'll do it using Amazon Kindle and my smartphone.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
This is driven by the TV manufacturers. For years they have been in a slump. They tried hard to market things like 120/240 Hz picture, 3D (total failure), curved screens, 4k (no broadcast content), smart TV (awful 'apps'), but for the casual TV watcher a 5 year old HDTV with a Roku, FireTV or Apple TV covered it. Now they can look forward to the land of milk and honey again ....

I love my 3d tv, I’ll keep the tv with the 3d but heck I may be dead before all this takes place
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
FCC Approves Next-Gen TV For OTA Broadcasting | TvTechnology

“If you are an over-the-air viewer, you will either need to purchase a new television set or some sort of converter, and if you are a pay TV viewer you would need to purchase a new set-top box,”

There are a fair number of places we go that does not have cable TV availability, so over the air is what we use. Maybe this will be the kick I need to get dish or DirectTV.
Camping is suppose to be to get out and away and forget all the hi tech stuff. I go camping and not have to worry about a TV. Something I can do with or without. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #15

I have bought a metal shelf through Amazon that sets on top of my very thin flat screen SONY television. Gravity holds it in place. On top of it I have a PRISM cable box and a Blu-Ray player. The television itself is on a full motion wall mount, and everything stays put when you position the television. I bought another one to use in my trailer, and it is perfect. No bolts.. no screws... no headaches. It stays on the tv when we are travelling. It tucks nicely into the opening that the tv goes into before pulling in the slider. Want to see it???

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-ATS-1.../dp/B00T8U6CHS

Need something bigger???

https://www.amazon.com/Jestik-TV-She.../dp/B01N24ACCP

Try it.. you'll like it!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #16
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I expect this technology to make its' debut in RV's about 10 years after they discover HDMI cables and Blue Ray.
Maybe

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I have bought a metal shelf through Amazon that sets on top of my very thin flat screen SONY television. Gravity holds it in place. On top of it I have a PRISM cable box and a Blu-Ray player. The television itself is on a full motion wall mount, and everything stays put when you position the television. I bought another one to use in my trailer, and it is perfect. No bolts.. no screws... no headaches. It stays on the tv when we are travelling. It tucks nicely into the opening that the tv goes into before pulling in the slider. Want to see it???

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-ATS-1.../dp/B00T8U6CHS

Need something bigger???

https://www.amazon.com/Jestik-TV-She.../dp/B01N24ACCP

Try it.. you'll like it!!!
Nice idea but my DW would be putting flowers up there.

Tags
television