Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

Newbie AC question

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but have a question. I have a brand new Freedom Express 292BHDS that has a Dominick 15k AC unit. I think it may be called a Duo Therm. Anyway it is a ducted system but also has a vent on the inside unit itself that I can use for quick cooling by opening. First question is when I remove the air filter cover and look up into the unit there is a white or light colored sticky type tape covering one side. I think this covers the AC ducts? Regardless I noticed on one side it had come unstuck and I could see what looked like a sheet metal flap underneath the tape. The other side was completely sealed. Should I use some duct tape and reseal it. I would think air is escaping where the tape came loose. Second question is when needed can I only partially open the quick cool vent and therefore allowing the unit vent and the duct vents all to be giving me air at the same time? Thanks
lovehifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Some photos would help. I had to seal my a/c up. Also had to seal the vent outlets for better operation. See my lacrosse 311 mod thread for photos.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #3

Here are some pics. Along the bottom on I rand a little duct tape and then on that same side and up I could actually reach my fingers around through a crack so I sealed that too. On the other side there was just one small hole showing so I just used a small piece of tape and covered that. Note. I looked at you pics and your sticky tape runs around further than mine. Also you duct tape looks different. I bought what was labeled duck tape but its more like a shiny masking tape. Hope that was okay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	105513

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	105514

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	105515
Old 04-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Newbie AC question

That's the divider between return air and forced air.
Yes it should be sealed on both sides, unfortunately you can't see the other side without removing the rest of the ceiling plate

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

Thanks. Glad I did not do something wrong. My AC was working hard to keep the temps at 75 inside the RV when it was 87 outside. Knew that was not right. Hopefully this will help. Looks like the ceiling plate is just held on with four screws so I may do that when I get some time.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehifi View Post
Thanks. Glad I did not do something wrong. My AC was working hard to keep the temps at 75 inside the RV when it was 87 outside. Knew that was not right. Hopefully this will help. Looks like the ceiling plate is just held on with four screws so I may do that when I get some time.

Yes 4 screws.
Two of them are behind the white plastic caps .

Make sure that divider hasn't slid down allowing air to go up over top.

I found it best when I installed my bedroom a/c to cut about 3" - 4" strips to seal it versus a long piece as by time you get the long one up in that little space it's no longer a useable piece of aluminum sealing tape.

Good luck
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Site Team

To answer your question on the quick cool dump. Yes you can run it at any percentage of open you wish. If you start the AC in a hot humid trailer ( ie just got to campsite, it is best to open the quick cool dump quite a bit ( or all the way). This allows a higher air flow and helps prevent coil freeze ups. Once the temp and humidity are reduced, you can close it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Yep, looks good, you can't go wrong with TURB'S and Flybob pitching in. A lot of knowledge in those two there. I would also check your outlet vents, cover should snap off. On mine there were large gaps that the cold air went into so when I plugged those I get much more airflow to the rest of the trailer.
Happy camping.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #9

Thanks. I will take a look at the vents today. Also I noticed my AC thermostat reads the same as other digital thermometers I bought and placed around the coach. However that is just in the morning. As the day warms up and the sun hits the RV there ends up being about a 4 degree difference. The thermostats I bought show 73 degrees and the AC thermostat shows 77 degrees. I know why I think and not sure there is a solution. The AC thermostat shares a wall and is placed on the outside wall of where the bathroom is. The bathroom has no AC vent and is on the side of the RV that gets sun in the afternoon so with the door closed it stays quite warm in there. I imagine the thermostat is picking up that heat through the wall.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Sorry for my bad spelling throughout this thread. Maybe I need to get my eyes serviced too. lol

Tags