Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

No outside drain on Dometic Refrigerator

Hi, everyone
I have a 2020 Forest River 21DS. I opened the cover on the outside of the refrigerator and could not find the drain hose. I searched the Dometic site and could not find info anywhere or online. It is a model DM2872RBX. My 2016 Minnie Winnie also had a Dometic refrigerator and it had a drain hose that dripped behind the outside cover. Did the technology change where it is not needed any more? I was wondering if anyone else who has this model RV or fridge has noticed this? The RV was bought last November and we have not had a chance to take it out. It is currently in storage. Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

Have you looked behind the fridge's bottom vent outside the wall. When we bought our tt new the drain hose was laying inside. I had to feed it through one of the holes in the vent to the outside. If you leave the drain hose laying inside you will end up with wet / rotted structure under the fridge.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Team

I have not seen one without a drain. Sometimes when they are installed, the drain hose is bunched up behind the unit and the factory forgets to pull it down. Get a light a look above the lower access panel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #4

Is there a drip pan (strip) beneath the cooling fins inside the fridge? If so does it have at one end a drain tube connected and exiting out the back? If so it typically is connected to a drain hose in the compartment you're looking.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #5

I'd go with the "it's there but someone forgot to route it through a hole in the outside vent panel" scenario.

Same thing with mine. I got it home and was cleaning out all the leftover sawdust with my shop vac. Opened up the refrigerator access panel on the outside and while vacuuming out the usual sawdust there was the drain hose stuffed behind the coils.

Funny thing, when I bought my 95 Terry I came to the conclusion that RV's were like lots of consumer goods that are packed in large cardboard boxes. When you take them home you have to finish the assembly.

When I bought my 2018 MicroLite I thought that over the last 23 years RV manufacturing might have improved. Turned out I was dreaming.

One thing that still mystifies me. How they manage to leave as much sawdust, chunks of wood in all the hidden nooks and crannies as well as enough spare screws and electrical connections to stock a small parts box.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

No drain on Dometic Refrig.

Thank you all for the quick replies. I will take a lot closer look behind the drip pan and if need be, under and behind the refrigerator.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz View Post
Thank you all for the quick replies. I will take a lot closer look behind the drip pan and if need be, under and behind the refrigerator.
A quick note, the drain "hose" on mine looked more like a piece of wire loom, A piece of black plastic tube with ribs like you see in larger drain pipe.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

This is so funny because we just watched a YouTube video about this and ours did not have the hose coming out of the vent. Removing the cover we couldn't see ours. With a flash light we were able to look up inside the back area and it was attached to a holder that the manufacturer attached it to. We removed it and extended it out of the vent.

DunnDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

Drain line

my drain, white tube in photo, goes into a drip pan/tray to collect and evaporate. Had for 4 years and have not seen any signs of leakage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200525-133259_Gallery.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	229857  

2016 FR Wildcat 327re 5th wheel
2013 Ford F350SD
Freedom2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #10

Drain Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A quick note, the drain "hose" on mine looked more like a piece of wire loom, A piece of black plastic tube with ribs like you see in larger drain pipe.
That is what mine looks like. It is laying on the inside of the outside cover but never drains???? I pull on it a little and it feels tight?? Do I understand that it only drains after you shut the refrig off?
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #11

I need to check mine. I have the ribbed hoses but they are not routed through the screen as I'm used to seeing. I think they are draining onto the floor. Not good!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
That is what mine looks like. It is laying on the inside of the outside cover but never drains???? I pull on it a little and it feels tight?? Do I understand that it only drains after you shut the refrig off?
Mike
When I rerouted mine it had a large loop in it so the water didn't drain until I untangled it from the tubing and wires behind the fridge. As to the question of draining only after you shut off the fridge, that is partly incorrect. The water drains whenever there is water in the drip tray under the fins in the fridge section of the refrigerator. If there is ice on the fins when you shut off the fridge, yes, it will drain as the ice melts.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #13

Just a thought, put a small amount of water in drip tray, half a cup maybe and look to see if there is any telltale water back there.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2016 View Post
my drain, white tube in photo, goes into a drip pan/tray to collect and evaporate. Had for 4 years and have not seen any signs of leakage
Is yours a Dometic or a Norcold? I've only seen the drip tray on Norcold fridges. Dometics usually have an ugly tube sticking through the lower vent to drip on the ground.

Ray
Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I have not seen one without a drain. Sometimes when they are installed, the drain hose is bunched up behind the unit and the factory forgets to pull it down. Get a light a look above the lower access panel.
On.my factory tour I noticed that they come from Dometic with the tube coiled up and stuck or wire tied between the zig zag tubes perhaps out of view from the removable door

I can easily see an installer forgetting to cut it loose and hang it down. Also learned with our Norcold that you can terminate that hose in a little metal drip pan near the burner and the drippings will evaporate rather than run down the outside of your coach.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
On.my factory tour I noticed that they come from Dometic with the tube coiled up and stuck or wire tied between the zig zag tubes perhaps out of view from the removable door

I can easily see an installer forgetting to cut it loose and hang it down. Also learned with our Norcold that you can terminate that hose in a little metal drip pan near the burner and the drippings will evaporate rather than run down the outside of your coach.
What I have noticed on several rv's whoever routes the drip hose gets it just out of the vent panel and the water does run down the side. When I routed mine I brought it out about an inch so the water drips on the ground. The only time the water touches my wall is when the wind blows hard enough. I did have to cut off about 10 inches of excessive hose so it comes from the inside drip tray directly down and out the vent panel..
Old 05-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
Canadian Member

If its a Dometic it should have drain tube long enough to drain water out through the lower cover. If its a Norcold it will have a drain pan behind the lower cover where the water drains to and evaporates. I’ve had both brands.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #18

The OP stated it is a Dometic.

After you find it, and route it outside through the louvers in the outside cover, look to see if there is a clear plastic plug in the end. It is usually clear or white with slots in it.

Its job is to prevent Mud Daubers from using it as a place to make their nest and plugging up the drain. If it ins't there, get one and install it.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Plug-...hoCaW8QAvD_BwE
Old 05-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #19

This thread got me to thinking I should check our new 2020 MiniLite 2511S as I couldn't remember seeing the familiar hose sticking out. The hose is there. Now it is pushed on to an extrusion which is part of the back of the grill. It is right beside the right hand attachment clip. Water runs down the hose and dribbles on to the back side of the grill work and then out where if there is enough it will run down the side of the trailer with no way to stop it now. Visually it's an improvement until . . .

Paul

I'll post a pic when I get back to the trailer.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
This thread got me to thinking I should check our new 2020 MiniLite 2511S as I couldn't remember seeing the familiar hose sticking out. The hose is there. Now it is pushed on to an extrusion which is part of the back of the grill. It is right beside the right hand attachment clip. Water runs down the hose and dribbles on to the back side of the grill work and then out where if there is enough it will run down the side of the trailer with no way to stop it now. Visually it's an improvement until . . .

Paul

I'll post a pic when I get back to the trailer.
Ours sticks out, we don't care, seldom are we on that side of the camper anyway. If those walking by don't like the looks of it they can simply look elsewhere

If the fact that it is black bothers you, spray paint it any color you want it to be.

Tags
dometic, drain, refrigerator