Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

no over air antenna signal

I've read all the posts I can find associated with my problem, tried most suggested remedies and still no signal.

I have a 2007, Cardinal 30RKLE, Concertone rx600, Olevia HD TV, Winegard batwing antenna. I have no trouble getting reception from Satellite, Cable, DVD but absolutely nothing on over the air signals. I have set the tv on all the sources such as composite, tuner, etc. I have the Concertone on Air. I've aligned the antenna in all directions. I have scanned through all the channels in every possible Concertone/Olevia combination. I pulled the Concertone out and checked and tightened all connections. The Winegard selection box in the cabinet under the tv, is set to TV 1, the booster is on and the red indicator light is on. All I get on the TV is a NO SIGNAL message. What am I missing??????

Ed
Edshirl
Cardinal 30RKLE
2005 Chew 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
edshirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by edshirl View Post
I've read all the posts I can find associated with my problem, tried most suggested remedies and still no signal.

I have a 2007, Cardinal 30RKLE, Concertone rx600, Olevia HD TV, Winegard batwing antenna. I have no trouble getting reception from Satellite, Cable, DVD but absolutely nothing on over the air signals. I have set the tv on all the sources such as composite, tuner, etc. I have the Concertone on Air. I've aligned the antenna in all directions. I have scanned through all the channels in every possible Concertone/Olevia combination. I pulled the Concertone out and checked and tightened all connections. The Winegard selection box in the cabinet under the tv, is set to TV 1, the booster is on and the red indicator light is on. All I get on the TV is a NO SIGNAL message. What am I missing??????

Ed
Edshirl
Cardinal 30RKLE

A picture over the antenna!

Sorry about that, I had the same problem in our 08Flagstaff and never figured it out. Have no idea what the Dish tech did to our 12Flagstaff, but we can get channels on sat, cable & antenna.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:

Ed
Edshirl
Cardinal 30RKLE
does it work when the booster is off
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

DUNNC

Thanks for the smile. First one I've had since I started to work on the problem.

Ed
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
DUNNC

Thanks for the smile. First one I've had since I started to work on the problem.

Ed
Wore out my "blue" word vocabulary on the 08 and decided to spend the $ for the Dish tech on the 12. Sure saved me a bunch of grief plus, I can watch tv from any of the cable, dish or antenna.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

gerrum55

Booster on or off makes no difference .

Ed
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Suggestions:

The wall switch is a power supply and "selector switch" that switches between "roof antenna" (light ON) to campground cable (light OFF). For the roof antenna to work, power needs to get to the amplifier located in the white box of the batwing.

1) Starting from the roof down:

Check the connector at the end of the wire and the amp box connector. REMOVE check the ends for (NO corrosion, center copper wire intact and at least as long as it takes to reach the end of the threaded barrel, crimp that holds the ground shield intact - it also is the ground for the 12 volt power supply power). With the wall plate "ON" check for voltage at the cable end.

Check for no cuts in the cable.

2) Inside the camper: Find the splitter behind the wall plate. There is one. Make sure it is ok with solid ends and connections.

3) Make sure the cables are connected to the correct terminals on the back of the power supply. See attached manual for the wall plate

Using a program like AntennaWeb - Home find out if there are ANY broadcast stations in your range. The range for UHF (most digital stations) is about 14 miles. Search on "Winegard Wingman" for excellent info on why you need one.

With the TV set on "TUNER" and the wall plate power "ON" use the channel search function of the TV to search for the stations within range located using antennaweb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	17482   Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	17483  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 54 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

herk7769

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them out tomorrow, as we're in the middle of a thunderstorm this evening. The trailer is in our driveway in the middle of the city, so I'm sure we're in signal range of a number of stations.

Ed
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
herk7769

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them out tomorrow, as we're in the middle of a thunderstorm this evening. The trailer is in our driveway in the middle of the city, so I'm sure we're in signal range of a number of stations.

Ed
Just remember that digital signals can be directional and rotating the antenna to "point" at the broadcast tower will maximize your reception.

As a visual aid, the white amp box is the "NOSE" of the aircraft and the batwings are the plane's wings. The nose of the plane should point to the towers.

This is especially important when you add the Wingman elements to your antenna. It becomes VERY directional; but doubles your range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	17492  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

herk7769

Well rain finally quit, so I checked out the voltage at the cable to the roof antenna. It was 13.5. All connections were clean and tight. Antenna pointed at local stations. My system has the Winegard entertainment selector black box in the compartment under the TV. This has the on/off button for the antenna booster. Used another TV in place of the Olevia with the same lack of signal. Tried a TV on the outlet in storage compartment with same lack of signal on antenna. We don't use the antenna very often, most campgrounds have Cable these days or we'll use Satellite if we stay for more than a couple of days. Guess we'll do without antenna for now.

Thanks for trying.

Ed
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar problem with my Surveyor. I finally ran a jumper coaxial cable directly from the antennae to the booster wall plate. When I cut the booster on, I got good signal. The only other connection that I could easily get to was the connector that came through the roof....the rest of the cable was buried in the walls. I checked the roof connection, the center wire had completely corroded away. I cut the cable back to good wire, replaced the connector, and still nothing. I pulled the microwave out of the wall, and checked the inside part of the connection......again, the center wire had also corroded. I again cut the cable back, installed another connector, and all has been good since.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
herk7769

Well rain finally quit, so I checked out the voltage at the cable to the roof antenna. It was 13.5. All connections were clean and tight. Antenna pointed at local stations. My system has the Winegard entertainment selector black box in the compartment under the TV. This has the on/off button for the antenna booster. Used another TV in place of the Olevia with the same lack of signal. Tried a TV on the outlet in storage compartment with same lack of signal on antenna. We don't use the antenna very often, most campgrounds have Cable these days or we'll use Satellite if we stay for more than a couple of days. Guess we'll do without antenna for now.

Thanks for trying.

Ed
If there is power at the amp and no signal coming out of TV1 or TV2 it may be the amp is bad in the antenna.

Maybe you can borrow one from a friend and swap it to confirm before you buy a new one.

Tags
antenna