Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

No Satellite Signal

We have just taken our RV out for an extended period of time and discovered that when we hook up our Dish Tailgater to the living room input we are getting no signal to our Wally. If I plug the Tailgater straight into the Wally with a coaxial cable, it works.

We have a Cedar Creek Champagne and behind the tv is a coaxial connection that reads 'Satellite Dish Hookup'. I'm assuming that connects to the rear of the Wally.

I'm guessing there is a problem in the chain from outside to inside but I figured I'd ask for any suggestions in case I missed something?
captacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Are you changing the input on your TV to reflect the use of the sat.? Also not sure about the Dish, however, when connecting to cable you need to turn off the Antenna Booster and perform a channel search. Just a thought.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

Assuming the connector outside is the same wire as inside,

I Had that problem. Wally would get so far and stop loading during the initial set up. Problem was two fold. Crappy loose connections from the factory and the feed through bulkhead connectors were of the “low frequency” type. Usually good for up to 1Ghz. I switched them out with the high frequency type (good to 3Ghz). It matters. The signal between your dish and the receiver is a very high-frequency signal. You can usually tell if the feed through connector is of a low or high frequency type. The center insulator of a low frequency one is clear or white. The high frequency feed through are blue or purple. But this is not always the case.

Start with the connections make sure they are crimped and tightened everywhere.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #4

I might confuse you cause I and terrible at explaining things but ....

To add to dude above, RG59 is the lower grade cable, RG6 is the choice for satellite. Its most likely RG6, I've havent seen RG59 really get used in RVs in awhile.

its probably going through a splitter like mine was from the factory. The line goes from the outside, to behind the tv, splits one to the satellite outlet and one to the tv cable/ant booster plate. (then its split after that to bedroom tvs/possibly FM radio .. etc)

if Dish is like Directv SWM (dont know cause I dont use Dish) it needs to be a dedicated line.

options ...

1) Remove the splitter, and theres a webpage HERE floating around that instructs you to make your own jumper wire on the tv booster plate to grab the signal from the outside before it hits the booster.

some manufactures do this..

2) make seperate outside connection and run that to the satellite outlet.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #5

On our MH the one labeled SAT goes to a connection on the roof where they expect us to install the dish. It could be you have the same situation.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

I fought getting a good satellite connection using a DISH Turbo antennae with a Wally receiver for a couple of months using different connection methods from this forum. At one campground I ran across an engineer from a TV station who gave me the best advice I had received, forget all that cable and connections in an RV and run a single dedicated RG6 cable straight to the Wally, what he called a "home run cable". He also suggested an app for my Android phone to locate satellites, Satellite Dish Pointer, which helps me find the satellite quicker. As the original poster stated " If I plug the Tailgater straight into the Wally with a coaxial cable, it works". Basically that is what a home run cable is, it's bypassing the RV's cables and connections. It's not as hard to do as it may sound. I do have experience in running electrical cables through existing walls which may be the hardest part. I added a cable port to the outside of my TT, ran a cable straight from there to a new port (similar to the plate on the left of the photo in post #4 except with one connection) near the Wally, and on to the Wally. Life has been easier camping since.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote