Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Norcold interior light

I have a Norcold N811 in my Crusader. When you open the door, the interior light doesnt come on. If you touch the on/off switch..or tap on the control panel (above the frig door and below the freezer door), the light will come on. As I understand it, it operates on a magnetic switch, which is normally closed. When you close the door, a magnet in the door panel opens the switch and turns out the light. It appears that the magnet might be sticking. Any thoughts?
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Those N.C. (normally closed) reed switches don't really have a spring in them to close them when the magnet is removed. They use the springiness of the reed material to close the switch. There are two modes of failure where the switch remains open when there's no magnet near by. 1) The reed(s) warp over time due to being constantly held open by the magnet, 2) One of the reeds fatigue and break inside the switch.

Your description of being able to touch the switch or tap on the panel sounds like the reed is warped.

You may be able to replace the reed switch by opening up the display panel.

It's also possible that there is a bad connection on the connector to the light/thermistor, but I'd think if that was the case, you'd be having problems with the temperature.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Im pretty sure the switch is the issue. Unfortunately, its part of the circuit board...not a separate part. Not sure if its true, but someone told me the switches get screwed up by techs trying to test the switch by using a high power magnet (like one to you use to retrieve parts). Apparently it magnetizes the switch to the point that it operates sporatically.

At any rate, I might just have to live with it. Sure not worth it to replace the whole board.

Thanks for the info
Old 08-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Team

That may be true, but if the switch was magnetized it would stay closed (on) all the time.

I'd be very tempted to open up the panel and find a replacement switch and de-solder the old one and replace it. It may be soldered to the board, but it's probably easy to replace if you're handy.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Might give that a try.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Team

If you decide to try it, please let us know what you find and how it turns out.

Tags
light