Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
Open Space Wanted

Question Not So Smart Shunt

Picked up a SmartShunt 500A out of interest in data collection but noticed the Trends tab data is reset if you move away from the application or it reconnects like it does when you're moving about. Read the History tab data is the only thing kept for up to 45 days but that data isn't of much use to me since some of it is already collected by the solar controller.

I'm not looking at having a dedicated device that won't sleep, in the hopes it doesn't restart to keep data to look at when the time comes. Are they hoping you buy something else for this feature and get sucked into their ecosystem?

Does the BMV series have the same data collection limitation? Also not looking at running additional wiring from the battery bank and reason for wireless.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:59 PM   #2

I also was shocked that neither the shunt nor the app store the data. What kind of trend data can you get when it resets every time you load up the app to view the data? If you want extended data, you have to leave your phone within range and set it so it does not go to sleep, which also means you better plug it in and drain the RV battery some more - counterproductive!

That said, I do like to walk up to the RV (if not already in it), turn on the app and get everything I need to know as to SOC, usage, etc., whenever needed.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

I have the BMV-712 installed and, with the Victron Connect app, it behaves the same way as your SmartShunt.

However, when carefully researching the BMV-712 product, I became aware of the Victron Connect's requirement of a Bluetooth connection for displaying the Trend data so, I guess I knew that going into the purchase.

In the Victron eco-system, the shunt and the app are not the "core" of its comprehensive power management system; thus the storing and analysis of data by the Victron Connect app is very limited when using just the SmartShunt or BMV-712.

That being said, the Trend data it does show (when connected) has been very valuable to me in identifying phantom parasitic loads and other tasks. So, think of the Trend data as a good troubleshooting tool rather than a comprehensive data repository and analysis tool.

If you were looking for a comprehensive data repository/analysis, you'd be correct in assuming that you would have to spend more than the SmartShunt's $130 price tag. For instance, the Cerbo GX system monitor paired with the GX Touch 50 display panel provide a comprehensive real-time monitoring system...albeit, at an almost $600 price tag.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
Open Space Wanted

Paying extra for more isn't in the cards for me and the trending data over time was the real reason I got it but wasn't aware of the limitation. BT isn't the issue except routine disconnects well within BT distance specs. Simple data that could easily be stored on the SmartShunt since history was already being saved would be a matter of storage reallocation.

I was on the fence in returning the shunt but luckily there's a beta that adds what I'm looking for.

The 5.70 beta added this feature in April. I'll have to look at how it works and hopefully good enough to keep.
  • New stored trends feature:
    • Trends data is kept stored in the product for up to 46 days for most products, except the Smart Battery Sense, there its 181 days.
    • SmartSolar, BMV-712 and SmartShunt:
      • SmartSolar support trends for Batt. Voltage, Current and Temperature, as well as Load output current, PV voltage and PV current.
      • BMV-712 and SmartShunt support trends for Battery voltage, Current, State of Charger % as well as the Aux input (battery temp, or midpoint deviation, or starter battery voltage).
      • Interval configuration is equal for above products, and in detail is:
      • 2m at 1s interval (RAM only)
      • 2h at 30s interval
      • 1d at 5m interval
      • 45d at 30m interval
    • Smart Battery Sense trends:
      • Support trends for Battery voltage and Battery temperature.
      • 2m at 1s interval (RAM only)
      • 2h at 30s interval
      • 1d at 5m interval
      • 180d at 30m interval
    • Known issues :
      • Power cycle is required after clearing trends
      • Battery monitors with non wired aux input configured as starter voltage can lead into invalid random data being registered.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

I'm glad Victron is pursuing this.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #5

Red Rover...thanks for posting that update...positive news!

Also would like to mention another superior monitor in the Balmar Smart Guage which goes for mid $200 range and has superior performance to the Victron over time for those who need a bit more. Check out the spec sheet...this is NOT a new product and the company is well known for quality charging and monitoring solutions as well as alternators. https://balmar.net/sg200-battery-monitor/

tEST & Review: https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Red Rover...thanks for posting that update...positive news!

Also would like to mention another superior monitor in the Balmar Smart Guage which goes for mid $200 range and has superior performance to the Victron over time for those who need a bit more. Check out the spec sheet...this is NOT a new product and the company is well known for quality charging and monitoring solutions as well as alternators. https://balmar.net/sg200-battery-monitor/

tEST & Review: https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/
Hope the beta helps you out. The partial info I added was from the initial release and a few updates released since. Hopefully they can fix disconnects. Keeping the phone on a table 5 ft. away still encountered some disconnects.

Appreciate the additional information on the other monitor and will check it out.

Went out yesterday afternoon to install the beta and out again today to check and looks like I got data since then. It was bad news but info I was really looking for without having to be there.

About 74 hrs. since 100% SoC of 2x100Ah LifePO4 testing with just fridge on ~66W and ~6W of phantom loads. Roof solar is 190W but a tree blocks the sun at about 3:00 p.m. and only get up to about 1A after that if I'm lucky. Also lucky enough that it was cloudy, rainy and thunderstorms throughout the 3 days until the batteries died today. Assuming the fridge runs about 1/2 the day while set to just under 6 where it gives me 34-38° F in the fridge section. Turned it off and will see what happens with charging tomorrow. Still waiting on external 200Ws of panels from an RMA fiasco to supplement.

The SoC in the app was wrong and showed 42% when I got there and had to set it to zero where the controller was showing the more correct value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	276043   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	276044   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	276045   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	276046  
Old 07-15-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
Open Space Wanted

Finally got a chance to get a different controller and time to make sure it worked before I lost sun tonight.

Here's a 6 day history of the shunt as well as testing with two new external 100W panels and turning everything on in/out of the RV except for the heat blower (tank heaters were on) since it was in the upper 80s in there. Also had a couple of USB fans running via inverter outlet and plugged in a larger 120V fan on full blast. This is not normal usage for us but probably ≤ 50Ah daily.

The other screen shot was of the Go Power! controller before turning things on and plugging in external panels. The Renogy screen shot was after the initial 7.7A as the sun was hiding behind trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron-6_Day.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	276495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron-Max.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	276496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Renogy.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	276497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Go_Power!.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	276498  
Old 07-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #8
Open Space Wanted

Official version 5.71 was released yesterday with the logging feature and a 5.72 beta1 released today but doesn't do anything to fix some logging bugs like not continuing sometimes when you get out of the application.