Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Okay, I'm really confused about the whole RV satellite thing. Please help!

So the campground I'm at has free wi-fi, however it doesn't handle running Netflix, Hulu, etc very well. So I decided to look into Dish at home and for RV. I called Dish and the guy I talked to says that I can use the roof-mount antennae with a receiver to get channels. So I get Dish installed at my house and I ask the guy installing about it and he tells me that there is no way to get channels by just hooking a Dish receiver up to the roof mounted antennae. Basically, he tells me to contact Dish and tell them that I'm moving to the address that my camper is at and they will set you up for free for 2 moves a year. So I tell them I'm moving and they come out and set up a Dish and receiver at my camper and I pay the extra $7/month for the extra receiver. My RV park is only open half the year so I was hoping to not spend money on something that is not being used that whole time. I'm also not thrilled about unhooking and hooking up my home receiver every time I go to the camper and having to readjust settings each time. Is there a cheaper way to do this? Can you use the antennae or not? What is everyone else doing? Thanks!!
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927
So the campground I'm at has free wi-fi, however it doesn't handle running Netflix, Hulu, etc very well. So I decided to look into Dish at home and for RV. I called Dish and the guy I talked to says that I can use the roof-mount antennae with a receiver to get channels. So I get Dish installed at my house and I ask the guy installing about it and he tells me that there is no way to get channels by just hooking a Dish receiver up to the roof mounted antennae. Basically, he tells me to contact Dish and tell them that I'm moving to the address that my camper is at and they will set you up for free for 2 moves a year. So I tell them I'm moving and they come out and set up a Dish and receiver at my camper and I pay the extra $7/month for the extra receiver. My RV park is only open half the year so I was hoping to not spend money on something that is not being used that whole time. I'm also not thrilled about unhooking and hooking up my home receiver every time I go to the camper and having to readjust settings each time. Is there a cheaper way to do this? Can you use the antennae or not? What is everyone else doing? Thanks!!
Should have bought the tailgater package from dishnetwork
It's designed for camping.
Your dish guy isn't very knowledgeable to not have known this.
You can start and stop service at any time.

Downside ? You have to buy receiver and auto-matic dish.

$350.00 I believe.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

I think they offer a month to month deal for RV's. That maybe more for someone that does not have Dish at home.

Because you have Dish at home, can't you just call and have the second receiver taken off your account, then call back and have it turned on when you need it?
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King
I think they offer a month to month deal for RV's. That maybe more for someone that does not have Dish at home.

Because you have Dish at home, can't you just call and have the second receiver taken off your account, then call back and have it turned on when you need it?
He's only got one . He takes it from home.
Atleast thats what I took from it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What's nice about the tailgater dish is it automatically finds the satellites for you.
No fuss no muss.
and with the extra receiver you don't have to remove the one from the house everytime you camp.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

I use a Windgard CarryOut auto dish. The Tailgater that Dish offers is cheaper, but not sure how well it works.

I just take on of my receivers from home along, no extra monthly charge. It only takes about 2 minutes to go into the Dish install menu and reset the switch from home dish to Windgard dish.
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Links.

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=05205125704
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

Yea, I know about the Tailgaiter, but I was told that it was really only meant for use if you didn't have a stable location, or you wanted to watch the game on a TV that is sitting in the bed of your truck while "tailgaiting" I was told that since I have a camper with a "built-in dish" that I would just need to hook a receiver up.....
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
I pay the extra $7/month for the extra receiver.
That's why I thought he had two receivers.

If you only have one receiver, I would pick up a cheep used or refurbished one on ebay. Then call Dish and have it turned on and off when needed.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #10

The install dude was wrong, all you need is a second receiver, hook it up to the dish you have at your RV, then call dish and tell them you want to add a receiver to your account. Then when not needed for awhile call Dish back and tell them to turn that receiver off.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King
The install dude was wrong, all you need is a second receiver, hook it up to the dish you have at your RV, then call dish and tell them you want to add a receiver to your account. Then when not needed for awhile call Dish back and tell them to turn that receiver off.
I see what he was saying.
He was saying he didn't want to have to take his home receiver as to not have to mess with it. So therefore 7 dollar a month extra for receiver to be in camper extra.

Misread.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post

Thats what is confusing me...I didn't think I had a dish at my RV! I only have the standard roof-mounted antannae. I have the SAT and CABLE hook-up in the RV....I have read where people just use the standard roof-mounted antannae to pull sat signal...is this possible or do you have to go buy a separate dish to pull signal from? I really don't want to spend all that money on the Tailgaiter because it is unnecessary. I have a travel trailer at a permanent site...I could just as easily get a dish on a tripod for next to nothing, but do I need that?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Thats what is confusing me...I didn't think I had a dish at my RV! I only have the standard roof-mounted antannae. I have the SAT and CABLE hook-up in the RV....I have read where people just use the standard roof-mounted antannae to pull sat signal...is this possible or do you have to go buy a separate dish to pull signal from? I really don't want to spend all that money on the Tailgaiter because it is unnecessary. I have a travel trailer at a permanent site...I could just as easily get a dish on a tripod for next to nothing, but do I need that?
No you cannot use antenna.
You need a dish or a carry out dome as I gave you links to up a few posts.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is what I use.
Got it free from an installer as it was a used take off.
Tripod was an old work light stand

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_115003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	19422
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #15

Okay...so basically I need to go get some sort of dish to post outside of the camper and it hooks into the external sat/cable coax on the back of the TT. Then the receiver connects to the internal sat coax. I pay $7/month extra for the 2nd receiver and Dish will turn it on for the few months a year that I use it? Do I have that all straight now?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #16

In that case, just get an Dish network dish. Should be able to find one fairly cheap as Dish just leaves them behind when their service is disconnected. Lots of them hanging on houses not being used and people like to get rid of them.
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
Oh... Turbo's right.

You will need another dish satellite antenna for your RV. If you keep you RV at a permanent site, I would get a normal dish satellite antenna and set it up your self or hire a satellite install person to do it. If your RV is not at a permanent site, the tailgater or something similar would work as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Okay...so basically I need to go get some sort of dish to post outside of the camper and it hooks into the external sat/cable coax on the back of the TT. Then the receiver connects to the internal sat coax. I pay $7/month extra for the 2nd receiver and Dish will turn it on for the few months a year that I use it? Do I have that all straight now?
I think your golden !
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
In that case, just get an Dish network dish. Should be able to find one fairly cheap as Dish just leaves them behind when their service is disconnected. Lots of them hanging on houses not being used and people like to get rid of them.

I have a new Dish at the house with the Hopper....is there a certain dish I should look for? Anything in particular...I'm not real educated on the dish set-up but noticed the different appearing components on the dishes.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #20

I am faced with the same problem but I don't mind buying the dish and 2nd receiver, it's the $7 a month all year that I don't like. Are you guys sure Dish will turn it off/on at your request without charges?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote