Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Olympian Wave heater

Greetings --

I have an Olympian Wave 3 heater and plan on using it in our MicroLite 23lb.

Does anyone have any experience using these heaters and how well they heat (tips, tricks, etc)? Is a wave 3 big enough to take the edge off in a camper this size?

I purchased this heater for our previous camper but did not get a chance to use the heater.

I've read about these heaters causing increased water vapor and condensation in the camper. A friend indicated that using a candle helps "cut the humidity' when camping in cold - damp environments. She places a candle in an empty coffee can. She keeps this on the stove top - all night - safe and sound.

Thanks!

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Wanderluster

They work...

We used a Wave 8 in our 36' DP for two winters when we were full timing. I can't comment if a Wave 3 is sufficient for your TT or not, but I will pass along my impressions of these devices.

While generally considered safe, propane heaters like the Wave do put off small amounts of CO and other nasty chemicals... some of which smell. You will have lots of moisture released... the candle idea might help some, we left vents open. They also burn oxygen so ventilation is important, especially in a tight fitting RV!

We considered piping the propane from our class A's main propane tank but decided to carry a spare small propane tank for the Wave that sits on the ground outside the rig. It made getting propane easier than taking the whole rig to town when all we needed was portable heater fuel.

We added a long enough fuel line to the Wave in our rig that we could take it outside to start it. That is when the greatest objectionable smells are released in our experience.

These things are rated safe, but I recommend you read this article about these type heaters before you start using one, the information presented is the best I've found anywhere on the subject... Vent Free Heater Cautions
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Thanks for the information...I plan on opening the roof vents in the front and rear of the camper 1" or so and the vent over the stove. The M/L23lb has 1 window on starboard side of the camper -- I'll crack that a bit also. there should be a little cross-ventilation there.
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote