Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #1

One way inverter?

With the help of some miscommunication with an electrical contractor I managed to blow my power inverter by connecting 220v to my Rockwood’s 120v plug.

Replaced power inverter, repaired the refrigerator and ac to dc inverter does charge the 12volt battery and all appears well on shore power now.

When I disconnect the shore power the only thing I get now is lights, slides, awning and jack.

Should the inverter work in reverse to power the 120v tv’s etc?
Gatorbashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbashr View Post
With the help of some miscommunication with an electrical contractor I managed to blow my power inverter by connecting 220v to my Rockwood’s 120v plug.

Replaced power inverter, repaired the refrigerator and ac to dc inverter does charge the 12volt battery and all appears well on shore power now.

When I disconnect the shore power the only thing I get now is lights, slides, awning and jack.

Should the inverter work in reverse to power the 120v tv’s etc?
I assume you mean converter, not inverter.

You may have blown some other 12v fuses or the resettable circuit breaker up under the tongue. That's probably why only some things are working now.

Even though it fried your converter, there may have been a brief surge on the 12v side of things that did additional damage or hopefully just popped fuses or popped the circuit breaker in the tongue.

Edit - just reread your post i guess your 12v is ok you are asking about 120v plugs working. If your rig came with the inverter option typically provided as part of the solar package, some outlets usually tagged with a white label will work when you turn the inverter on. If you have one. It is separate from the converter, not the same box.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #3

What is the proper description of taking 120v down to 12v?

Also

Proper description of taking 12v up to 120v?

The 12v to 120v is the direction I am questioning.

I do have a solar connection on the front of the camper for attaching solar panels to. The wires from it go to the positive side of the battery (fuse is good) and ground on the trailer frame.

All 120v outlets are black in the camper and in the breaker panel all fuses are good and circuit breakers work properly.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

Going from 120v to 12v is the converter. 99% of RVs with batteries come with converters.

Going from the 12 volt batteries to 120v AC is an inverter, which is usually a completely separate unit than the converter. Very few travel trailers come with inverters. On most trailers you only get 120v AC for things like a microwave, air conditioning and outlets when plugged into shore power or a generator.

You have not told us the make and model of RV, but there is a very high probability that it did not come with an inverter.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #5

This is a Forrest River Rockwood 2902ws.

Never got to get really familiar with it before it took the 220 hit.

I thought that because I have both circuit breakers and fuses that I was supposed to have power at the TV’s when disconnected from shore power.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6483.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	253447
Old 05-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

See if this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV power.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	253448  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:

I thought that because I have both circuit breakers and fuses that I was supposed to have power at the TV’s when disconnected from shore power.
Attachment 253447
That is a converter 120v (shore power) to 12v.
You will have no 120v went disconnected from shore power.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:

Attachment 253447
That's a very common power distribution center. RV makers combine them into one box for convenience but it does not necessarily mean that you have power to your 120v items unless you specifically have a separate inverter.

Tags
inverter