Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
RKR

Open Ground Code Still

Second go around here. I installed the hard wired Progressive 50 amp EMS yesterday. It gave me the open ground code.
When I git off work today I watched a couple of You Tube "how to" videos on installing a 30amp plug for an RV. I pulled the plug apart and it's all wired correctly. I checked the breaker box on the house and all the wires seem to be hooked up right. They added a new box for it during the installation for the RV plug and power for my future shop.
The EMS system is wired correctly. I have a 50amp cord with the 30 amp crossover connected to the outlet.
After double checking everything I still get the "open ground " error that results in no power to the 5er. If I bypass the EMS everything works fine.
I have no clue what's up. Could it be going from 50 to 30 amp ? Could it be something on the inside of the 5er causing this? Just looking for the next thing or two to chase down.

Thank you

Sent from a high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So let me get this straight.

You had a 30 outlet installed but you have a 50 amp service rig?

50 amp camper.
50 amp cord
50 to 30 amp "reducer"
Correct?

black is hot.
White is neutral.
Green is ground.

if it's wired correctly "it's possible" that something is wrong with the adapter?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
RKR

You'd be correct on the set up.I would of ran 50amp but the cost of that and my pre-planning of power for my shop and the RV plug in garage would of been more $$.
I thought about the adapter swap last night. Swapping out the adapter is probably my least frustrating next move. I'll pick one up at Wally World after work.
Thanks for the response bud.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Another suggestion is if you have a 30 to 15 amp adapter, try it and see if plugging into a 15 amp receptacle does the same before buying another adapter.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Another suggestion is if you have a 30 to 15 amp adapter, try it and see if plugging into a 15 amp receptacle does the same before buying another adapter.
Good idea fonz.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your 30amp outlet is wired for 120v, correct? NOT 240V!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
RKR

Open Ground Code Still

Thanks Fonzie, Turbs great idea. I don't have one but that would probably be a cheaper route with the same results.

Aquaman,
Yes it's wired correctly all the way to panel. 120, ground and neutral. Thanks

Electrical stuff kills me. I can frame a house , roof, weld, pour concrete , put together a few motors back in the day and I can drill and cement a well. This is my first time messing around with the juice. I'm getting schooled up though with all the online searching and information provided here.
Thanks again guys

Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #8

I'm hard wiring a 50amp Progressive surge protector tonight but I have a 50amp supply on my pole that I also wired for my RV we will see if my install goes ok. I'll let you know. Good luck with it RKR.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
RKR

Thanks Yapster. The install is pretty cut and try. The hardest part was handling the heavy gauge wire inside the box area.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Thanks Yapster. The install is pretty cut and try. The hardest part was handling the heavy gauge wire inside the box area.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

That ain't no kidding!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
DDC

Try clicking off the GFI if there is more than one and you are feeding both from the same power source that may be your problem.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
RKR

DDC, the only GFI that I know of are the outlets in the trailer. Would anything on the outlet side of the EMS box cause the EMS to give the "open ground " code ? I'll check the outlets in the 5er when I get home. I was under the impression that the EMS only checks power coming into the 5er.
Everything from the main box to the outlet is wired correctly.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is the common and the ground tied into the same lug in the new box? And is the new box grounded? Just spitballing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
RKR

Aquaman , spitballs are appreciated at this point..lol The common and ground are separate from the plug to the junction box.The ground is tied separate at the box.
I didn't get a chance to get another 50 to 30 amp adapter today. I'll get one tomorrow and try it out to make sure my pig tail isn't bad.
My neighbor is a retired electrical contractor and I'm always loaning him my welder.He always tells me if I need a hand with anything let him know. Problem is that he's on the coast fishing. The nerve of some people...lol

Thanks bud

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #15
RKR

Mud Yapster, don't forget to share how your install went.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Jack of All Trades

The neutral and ground should not be tied together in the new box. Code requires that the neutral and ground be bonded (tied together) only at the main service panel.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
The neutral and ground should not be tied together in the new box. Code requires that the neutral and ground be bonded (tied together) only at the main service panel.

Rick

Rick , I'll check the new box again. I'm 99% sure they are not but now you got me thinking. Through my internet reading I believe I saw some outlets where the common and the ground had a jumper and were tied together. I think this was for using a generator not for a box.
Me neighbor checked the box and wiring when it was finished and said it was done to code.

Thanks bud

Sent from my high tech gadget
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Aquaman , spitballs are appreciated at this point..lol The common and ground are separate from the plug to the junction box.The ground is tied separate at the box.
I didn't get a chance to get another 50 to 30 amp adapter today. I'll get one tomorrow and try it out to make sure my pig tail isn't bad.
My neighbor is a retired electrical contractor and I'm always loaning him my welder.He always tells me if I need a hand with anything let him know. Problem is that he's on the coast fishing. The nerve of some people...lol

Thanks bud

Are you talking about the box on the garage or the main box supplying the garage box? They are probably tied together at the main house box.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #19
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Are you talking about the box on the garage or the main box supplying the garage box? They are probably tied together at the main house box.

OC , when I added the power for the 5er I also added another box next the main on the side of the house.The additional box is for a shop I'm gonna build and only thing tied to it is the plug for the 5er right now.
I didn't open the main box that was added onto. If the main box had the ground and the common tied together would if effect my GFCI plugs in the house ? They all work fine.

Thanks for the response

Sent from my high tech gadget
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OC , when I added the power for the 5er I also added another box next the main on the side of the house.The additional box is for a shop I'm gonna build and only thing tied to it is the plug for the 5er right now.
I didn't open the main box that was added onto. If the main box had the ground and the common tied together would if effect my GFCI plugs in the house ? They all work fine.

Thanks for the response.
I don't know, just throwing out possibilities. Is your new box completely separate from your house on it's own service from the pole?