Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Orange flame on Suburban stove

I know there are a large number of pages regarding "appliances" and this question may be answered somewhere before, but with the speed of my computer, maybe someone can answer my question a little quicker.

I don't have a gas stove at home, but I'm aware that gas burners should burn a blue flame. We're on our maiden voyage with our new 2013 Sunseeker 2860. The stove is a Suburban. The top one third of the flame from the burners is orange, not blue. I don't seem to be getting any soot onto the frying pans, but I believe the flame should be a solid blue, correct? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

You're not running any kind of humidifier, are you?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

No, no humidifier. I'm in Florida at the moment, my 2 hygrometers show about 65% humidity in the coach.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

I get the same thing in my sunseeker and it takes a long time to boil water
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

If your talking about the top 1/3 of the flame being yellow when the burner is turned up high this is normal. Both of my campers and my propane stove at home burn this way. If your flame is all blue when the valve is at the half open position all is OK.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
I know there are a large number of pages regarding "appliances" and this question may be answered somewhere before, but with the speed of my computer, maybe someone can answer my question a little quicker.

I don't have a gas stove at home, but I'm aware that gas burners should burn a blue flame. We're on our maiden voyage with our new 2013 Sunseeker 2860. The stove is a Suburban. The top one third of the flame from the burners is orange, not blue. I don't seem to be getting any soot onto the frying pans, but I believe the flame should be a solid blue, correct? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Might want to look and make sure nothing has fallen across the air inlet where the gas is dumped into the burner tube assy. Does it have an adjustable slide to control the air inlet? If it does and it is not wide open, you might slide it open about 1/16" more. If, it's not that, I have no idea.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

No, nothing is across the air inlet, and there is no adjustment on it. Scrutinizing the 3 burners, one is more prone to the orange flame than the other two. Everything looks clean, the stove is brand new. As a few here stated, this appears to be normal, so I guess I won't lose any sleep over it.

Thanks all!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Yellow flame is "too rich."

In the Suburban cook tops the air used to fuel the burners is drawn through the vents at the rear of the range. If they are blocked, there will not be enough air to keep that nice blue flame.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals..._SDN2_SDN3.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OVEN 001.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	27156  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Low gas pressure will also result in a yellow flame.

You will need a manometer to test the pressure. And there may be two regulators involved. The dual stage at the propane tanks, and several ranges/cooktops also have a regulator located under the stove top.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Low gas pressure will also result in a yellow flame.

You will need a manometer to test the pressure. And there may be two regulators involved. The dual stage at the propane tanks, and several ranges/cooktops also have a regulator located under the stove top.

RodeoGeorge
Thanks, that is a terrific observation; and far more likely than a blocked air source. The safety check valves in the regulator hose attachment points can become clogged with oil and debris from a bad propane refill.

Happened to me in Key West. Search on "red Regulator" for my propane nightmare.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Owner/Operator

There is also a layman's method to do a crude regulator test.

Light a burner on the stove and turn it on high. Observe the height of the flame.

With that burner lit, turn on either the furnace or the hot water heater.

The flame on the stove burner should dip only momentarily and then return to the original height. If it does not, suspect one of the regulators.

As Herk mentioned, in many of the new RVs with propane tanks on both sides there is an additional first stage regulator (sometimes red in color) on the propane tank opposite the tank with the change over valve installed.

You can narrow it down to that first stage regulator by running the test using the each of the tanks, and if the flame does NOT stay smaller when the tank with the change over valve is used, suspect the first stage regulator on the far tank.

Also, this link is a must read for any propane related issues, thanks to Herk.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-10539.html

RodeoGeorge

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote