Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

OTA antenna

As I get older and lazier, I have reduced my set up/take down duties. I no longer automatically set up the Dish antenna and receiver.
I have been getting 12-22 OTA channels just by raising the antenna. Also I am enjoying viewing Britbox on my I pad.
So question: When watching the OTA programing it will break up like sat tv will do during cloud cover or heavy rain. I did not think OTA antennas were sensitive to weather.
Any answers?? 🤔🥃
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #2

Signals are digital now, not analog. You get some pixelation on a weak signal but overall a better picture... no snow like you used to get. If you have a strong signal it's in HD tv
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Signals are digital now, not analog. You get some pixelation on a weak signal but overall a better picture... no snow like you used to get. If you have a strong signal it's in HD tv
That explains it. Still wondering why it is sporadic. Yesterday bad. Today nonexistent. Strange
Thanks
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Further, I have ota at home. I get 60 or so channels and for the most part really clear hd tv. But, what really affects it the most , especially, weaker signal channels is high gusty winds and cloudy inclement weather. Then we go to streaming. Any sloppiness in the antenna mountings makes the antenna jiggle and then your picture...
Old 05-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Our OTA antenna picks up fairly well. I can tell the marginal signal channels because usually I will have to turn the antenna slightly to keep the picture.
The funny part is that on those marginal channels, after receiving them fine for a while, if either of us gets up and moves in the camper they will pixilate or go completely out. Guess a little capacitance going on there. Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
As I get older and lazier, I have reduced my set up/take down duties. I no longer automatically set up the Dish antenna and receiver.

I have been getting 12-22 OTA channels just by raising the antenna. Also I am enjoying viewing Britbox on my I pad.

So question: When watching the OTA programing it will break up like sat tv will do during cloud cover or heavy rain. I did not think OTA antennas were sensitive to weather.

Any answers?? [emoji848][emoji1634]
Yes and no. Clouds won't affect it like it does satellites. But hazy weather or rain and even the leaves on the trees can affect it if you are on the fringes. And reflections (multipath) of things like airplanes. Remember the ghosting? Well, now when that happens it just pixellates or stops working.

Having said that, I'm sitting in a campground in NC watching the Kentucky derby OTA with no issues, was too lazy to hook up their cable. Working fine.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

On ly a couple minutes till post time
Old 05-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #8

The weather can certainly play a huge role in TV signal reception. Storm systems and in calm weather, temperature inversions, can help "skip" tv signals amazing distances. We were over 130 miles away watching our local station during our last hurricane. Next day, nothing. But these are temporary phenomenon and soon departed. There are even seasonal effects. Enhanced night-time propagation of AM RADIO signals still requires reducing radiated wattage, but TV signals, being much shorter wavelengths do not need such attenuation - they just don't go as far anyway. Directional YAGI style TV antennas are still your best bet for OTA reception. I just can't wait for mobile Starlink.
100 mips internet for $99 a month shall be a game changer....
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote