Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

Palomino Puma Unleashed 381FTB 3rd AC

So before I get started I have spent the better part of the last a week trying to research this and have come across a lot of great write ups for other trailers. So please bare with me and if possible point me in the right direction. Thx

I have a 2019 Palomino Puma 381FTB Toy Hauler with 2-15k AC Units and the extended season package. The one in the living area is ducted to the front bedroom, which is where I want to add the 3rd AC, the bathroom and to the rear toy hauler area. Each room has 1 duct vent except the living area, it has 3. I have blocked off the toy hauler vent from the duct AC to push more air back toward the front bedroom. The toy hauler area has it's own 15k AC unit but it's an air distribution box that dumps straight into the toy hauler and it stays cold even on low.

The front bedroom takes forever to cool off and besides for the bathroom its the smallest room in the trailer. I've gone in a blocked part of the vent that leads into the bathroom to help push more air into the bedroom.

We live in Southeast Texas where it can go from 60 degrees one day to 105 degrees the next day. We travel a lot in the South, Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi, Florida and Georgia. We spend a lot of time in West Texas where it's usually in the high 90's to low 100's daily.

So I have been looking to install an additional AC unit, possibly a 13.5k, in the bedroom to just dump air straight into the room. I have the ability to do it myself but was wondering if anyone else has done it this to one of these toy haulers and had to actually cut the roof and reinforce it or if they ran into any major issues. I have spoken with a local dealer and they informed me my 50 amp service isn't enough to run all 3 units. They informed me that I would have to install a 15 amp power inlet on the exterior side of my trailer and wire the unit to this inlet, and that they would do it for a cool $2,500 turn key. This would mean that I would have to run a 110 volt electrical cord to the breaker box when I planned on using the 3rd AC. So I asked why can't I just run it to the outlet on the ceiling in the bedroom where my tv would plug in? They told me I couldn't do that, even though we don't use a tv in our bedroom.

So during my research I have seen where people are removing the 15 amp breaker for their refrigerator and putting in a double pole20/15 amp breaker. Has anyone had any issue doing it this way?

Sorry for being so winded but I was trying to make sure people knew what I had done and what I was planning on doing. And I'm sure I have forgotten a few things.
Repoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino, puma