Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Pioneer in dash DVD player won't work

I have a 2016 fr3 with a pioneer cd/DVD player in dash. I have read on several forums that it should play DVDs in the kitchen and on the outside TV.

I can not get either to work. I can get audio just no picture

I have tried changing the inputs on the TV and the only one that gets anything is the TV input. I looked on the back of the TV and that seems to be the only input hooked up. I looked for "stray" wires thinking maybe they forgot to hook up an input but don't see anything.

I also think that you should be able to view it on the actual DVD player but that won't work either. It just keeps giving am a safety message about viewing while driving. (Btw.... I'm not trying to do that... I'm parked with levelers down. Lol).

Any ideas? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer for this.

Thanks
Rdifuccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #2

Try engaging the emergency brake.

I don't think they would use the dash head unit to feed video to the other tv's.

Is there another DVD source in the fr3?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post

I don't think they would use the dash head unit to feed video to the other tv's.

I tried the emergency brake There is not another DVD source . I would think that there would have to be a separate source line run to the TV to play the DVD player ?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

If the only input plugged into the tv is a cable coax, then that will not work.
There has to be a video input for signal from the dash head unit.

There's really no other stereo in the unit? It's odd, they would use the dash.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	B7DC326F-4341-45D7-91C4-3FB25F64F6F2-1375-0000025EC0EAC7C1.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	132908

You don't have the stereo unit pictured here on the left side up top?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
If the only input plugged into the tv is a cable coax, then that will not work.
There has to be a video input for signal from the dash head unit.

There's really no other stereo in the unit? It's odd, they would use the dash.

Thanks Kenny. .... No other video source in the coach. I was thinking the same as you with there having to have an additional video source. I was watching a video earlier and there is a export video on the back of the unit. I'm going to try pulling the player out next to see if any av wires are attached
Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdifuccia View Post
Thanks Kenny. .... No other video source in the coach. I was thinking the same as you with there having to have an additional video source. I was watching a video earlier and there is a export video on the back of the unit. I'm going to try pulling the player out next to see if any av wires are attached

That really baffles me.
Every pic I have seen, shows another radio mounted high up on the wall.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:

Yes, they do use the head unit as the DVD source to the primary TV. The typical "recommended" install is to wire it so that the parking brake must be set to allow the video to play. However, the wire to the parking brake is merely a ground. That wire can just be grounded at any point. A warning will appear that the parking brake wiring is not correct, but just click that off and it will work. The purpose of this is to prevent the dash head unit from displaying video to the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

Also check for a video on youtube. There is a "sweet spot" on the lower left corner of the screen. By pressing on this spot for approx 10 seconds, it bypasses the parking brake setting necessity. This was integrated into the Pioneer head unit for demonstration purposes, i.e, a store display.

I have recently installed a Pioneer head unit in our Jeep Liberty toad. Though we never intend to play DVDs in the toad, I did wire the parking brake to a ground and found the sweet spot and a DVD will play without setting the parking brake.

The head unit is easy to pull and access. There should be white, red, and yellow RCA outputs. If you are getting sound, the red and white are connected. The yellow is for video. These should be "OUT" ports at the head unit and "IN" ports at the TV. Our unit also has a yellow "IN" away from the others and that is for a backup camera. If you don't have an manual, you can also go on line with your model number and get the owners/install manual. The wires on the head unit should be clearly labeled.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

We have the Pioneer in dash radio/dvd/cd player in our 2017 Forester 2861DS. We have to engage the parking brake, release it, then engage it AGAIN before the dvd will play. Maybe give that a try.

Tags
dvd