Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
mguerro, converters convert 120 volt AC into 12 amp DC. They are sized according to DC amps output..... which is a different thing than 120 volt AC 30 or 50 amps that electrical outlets are sized at.

I updated my post above to include a thread on converters and your battery.

I also advise reading up on these two threads:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

and your converter

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

The television and microwave get damaged in these 240 volt applications, cause they are always on to a degree, as in your microwaves clock display, and your televisions memory.

ALL RV's have a converter, but only ones with bigger batteries (banks) have an inverter. They do different things so you want to use the correct terminology. The links above will help in your understanding of this. They also make a converter/inverter combo but doubtful you have this.

thanks for all your info -- well, my TV's and micro were not showing on prior to me plugging in ... they would only power on when plugged into the generator -- does that mean theres a chance they were sparred?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I am an electrical moron, so I bought a Progressive Instruments 50 amp EMS (Energy Management System) that I plug to the 50 amp cord before attaching to any current source. The EMS won't allow high voltage to get to the RV. Also checks ground, reverse polarity, etc. I killed my new fifth wheel's battery in less than a week, before I got the EMS. Part of the reason I bought it.

Not a cheap unit, but I won't allow me to make the type of errors you've run into. You might want to consider one. Good luck.
link? do they make one for a 30amp service?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguerrero View Post
link? do they make one for a 30amp service?

Yup. See here for products:
http://learntorv.com/what-surge-prot...est-for-my-rv/
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #24

Here's a how-to video on converter replacement. There are a lot more on the internet.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's a how-to video on converter replacement. There are a lot more on the internet.

I literally just viewed that video! lol .... if in fact I need a replacement, I'm looking at the one below. Seems to be a perfect fit for mine and has a builtin 4stage "charge wizard" ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 10-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
HOME electrical contractors know nothing about 120 VOLT RV power... they all assume that the 30 AMP (3 prong) or 50 AMP (4 prong) RV plugs are 220-240 and screw up the same way. Get the electrician back to rewire the home box. Lots of info online about 120 VOLT RV 30 or 50 AMP plugs and wiring for same. Just do some googling...
50A 4 prong plugs are 220-240! They have two hots, a neutral and a ground. In RV's they use each of the hots referenced to neutral for 2 120V legs.

I would be very interested in seeing the outlet the OP's contractor installed and if the trailer he has is wired for 50A or 30A.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #27

[QUOTE=mguerrero;1637798]I literally just viewed that video! lol .... if in fact I need a replacement, I'm looking at the one below. Seems to be a perfect fit for mine and has a builtin 4stage "charge wizard" ...

You might want to talk to these folks, they know what they are talking about. Very knowledgeable about these things, they will give you the advice you need plus their prices are less than the amazon offer you listed.

I'm not connected to these folks in any way, I just bought a converter from them last year and was very impressed with their service and prices.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondoc...rs-_c_154.html

Good luck

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
Old 10-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #28

Hey friend,
I am right there with you! I fried my convertor the first day that I brought the camper home by plugging it into a 220v 30amp hookup that my well meaning brother and dad installed for me.
It happens.
The members on this forum were quick to diagnose what I did wrong and helped to steer me right. I am sure they will do the same for you!
From one victim to another, don't let it get you down; keep camping!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #29

Hey, kdking1976, did your dad and brother offer to pay for the new converter?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Hey, kdking1976, did your dad and brother offer to pay for the new converter?
Yes, my dad did offer. But my brother? Lol. No worries, I am the owner and should have studied and double checked everything.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #31

Quote:
well, my TV's and micro were not showing on prior to me plugging in ... they would only power on when plugged into the generator -- does that mean theres a chance they were sparred?
Well... you need to realize that when boondocking, or living on just your batteries, there is NO power to the 120VAC appliances like TV and microwave... BUT as you mentioned they fire right up when the trailer is plugged into 120VAC either via generator or shore power (house plug).

With this in mind they probably did fry those two things when plugged into the 220 VAC plug at your home. Microwaves and TV's have small things on even when not being used, like the clock on the microwave. Perhaps though you got lucky and a fuse protected them.

You have both a 12 VDC systems AND 120 VAC systems in your camper. Things that require 120 VAC like the AC unit, the TV, microwave and fridge ONLY turn ON and work when plugged into genny or 120 VAC. Other things, like interior lights, outside lights, power jack, AND furnace and fridge (when propane is turned on also) will work with ONLY 12 VDC battery power. However, unless you have added a 2nd battery, or run your genny to recharge the battery that you have, those 12 VDC devices will quickly deplete your battery power, like in a matter of hours, or almost certainly overnight.

You asked earlier... DO I HAVE/NEED AN INVERTER?

You MAY have an inverter in the trailer, but I doubt it. Typically an inverter is installed by the owner IF they want to run something like a TV with ONLY battery power, (no genny running to supply 120 VAC). Inverters typically are not very efficient with this conversion process and waste a lot of energy... but it might be something to consider at some later date.

Keep us posted on your camper's condition as you get further into this.

GOOD LUCK...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #32
2017 Forester 3051s

Get you the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X and use it. It will save you a lot of issues.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #33

Quote:
yes tomorrow I will be pulled the cover off the electrical panel and seeing what I have ... when you say to maybe get one with more capacity, do you mean going up to a 50 amp maybe? I see some advertised as 45amp and wondering if that would still work with a trailer like mine that currently runs 30amp service ... no, the TV's and microwave were not on when I plugged into the 220v outlet .. hoping those are ok and all thats needed is a new converter
Though the TV and microwave were not on in the respect that they were not being used, they are still getting power for the clock on the microwave and the memory on the TV.

Just a thought. If this starts getting too expensive, you may want to check the insurance to see if it might be covered. This was an accident and not intentional. This was due to a power surge.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Though the TV and microwave were not on in the respect that they were not being used, they are still getting power for the clock on the microwave and the memory on the TV.

Just a thought. If this starts getting too expensive, you may want to check the insurance to see if it might be covered. This was an accident and not intentional. This was due to a power surge.
Agreed. I would not have issues contacting the hopefully bonded electrician for some assistance as well...provided you have an estimate that states 30amp RV outlet but good luck.

Perhaps the electrician needs to learn something the hard way too. The tricky part here is did you fry it the first time or did he with the second so maybe not this case.

Get the EMS so you don't have to worry again. You may know better now but someone helping you may not and it is cheaper than the TV, microwave, a.c., fridge, batteries and inverter...etc etc every time of if there is a votage drop.

Just think of all the issues that could ruin you camping trip.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #35

Quote:
I literally just viewed that video! lol .... if in fact I need a replacement, I'm looking at the one below. Seems to be a perfect fit for mine and has a builtin 4stage "charge wizard" ...
This is the one I got for mine and it was an exact fit!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdking1976 View Post
Hey friend,
I am right there with you! I fried my convertor the first day that I brought the camper home by plugging it into a 220v 30amp hookup that my well meaning brother and dad installed for me.
It happens.
The members on this forum were quick to diagnose what I did wrong and helped to steer me right. I am sure they will do the same for you!
From one victim to another, don't let it get you down; keep camping!
thx sir! I called Forest River today and let them know my symptoms and hoping they'd offer to warranty it but they wouldn't which is fine - I did end up buying a new unit today - went with the Progressive Dynamics 4655 which is a slightly better unit than the Arterra 8955 that is in my unit currently -- its a direct fit it says - hope I doesn't require I swap out the fuse board also.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post

yeah I hear ya we'll see -- although the clock on the microwave was never on tho - I'm planning on going to the yard in a bit and bringing of the TV's home and seeing if it powers up - will keep you posted --- according to my convo with WFCO today he says that appliances should be fine as my converter I have now is designed to fry and safeguard should there be a overpower surge - says its a 3 stage unit that included reverse polarity protection - but, we'll see
Old 10-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #38

I am also a member of this club. Plugged into a 220 plug and pop. Smoke was coming out from the electric panel. The funny thing is my converter worked great for about two months after that and then one day I pulled into the campsite and nothing. Battery was dead and nothing would work. It ruined by battery also. It was an easy fix. I ordered the exact same converter and only had to swap out two or three wires I think. I have a EMS now!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
This is the one I got for mine and it was an exact fit!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this is the exact unit that is in my trailer now and was gonna just go with it but decided to go with a slightly better unit that is a 4 stage unit vs a 3 stage unit like this one - the progressive 4655 is also a direct fit
Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblee21 View Post
I am also a member of this club. Plugged into a 220 plug and pop. Smoke was coming out from the electric panel. The funny thing is my converter worked great for about two months after that and then one day I pulled into the campsite and nothing. Battery was dead and nothing would work. It ruined by battery also. It was an easy fix. I ordered the exact same converter and only had to swap out two or three wires I think. I have a EMS now!
somehow I feel better I'm not alone in my mistake! Lol -- you think my batteries are ok? this was their first use ... held a charge all weekend until my converter no longer was charging them
Closed Thread