Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Power for BESTEK 300w PSW Inverter

Our 2020 23IKSS did not come with a 12v power port behind the 120v, 32", 60w TV. Therefore, to watch TV when we dry camp, we've been plugging in our BESTEK 300w PSW inverter into a 12v extension cable that we run to the power port in the rear bunk. While this works well from an electrical perspective, it is rather inconvenient and has led to dog-based safety issues.

My idea is to replace the existing amplified antenna/coax wall plate behind the 32" TV with one that does include a 12v power port. I know that the existing wall plate has a 12v power circuit for the amplified antenna. I assume that the power port wall plate version would power the port with the same circuit that powers the amplified antenna.

My questions are:
  1. Is this correct or are there separate circuits for the power port and the amplified antenna?
  2. If it IS a single circuit, will the new (single circuit) wall plate cause an overload problem when both the antenna, the inverter and the TV are operating?
Please note that the TT is offsite in winter storage so I am limited in my ability to provide additional data regarding wire gauges and fuses. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

I think the 12Vdc receptacle is prewired within the panel and this is the note for the MODEL RA-7296 receptacle. I think it is the same for panels with "booster" switch.

WARNING
DO NOT connect high
current devices such as
hair dryers to this
receptacle. Maximum
current rating of this
receptacle is 7.5 amps at
12 VDC.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Our 2020 23IKSS did not come with a 12v power port behind the 120v, 32", 60w TV. Therefore, to watch TV when we dry camp, we've been plugging in our BESTEK 300w PSW inverter into a 12v extension cable that we run to the power port in the rear bunk. While this works well from an electrical perspective, it is rather inconvenient and has led to dog-based safety issues.

My idea is to replace the existing amplified antenna/coax wall plate behind the 32" TV with one that does include a 12v power port. I know that the existing wall plate has a 12v power circuit for the amplified antenna. I assume that the power port wall plate version would power the port with the same circuit that powers the amplified antenna.

My questions are:
  1. Is this correct or are there separate circuits for the power port and the amplified antenna?
  2. If it IS a single circuit, will the new (single circuit) wall plate cause an overload problem when both the antenna, the inverter and the TV are operating?
Please note that the TT is offsite in winter storage so I am limited in my ability to provide additional data regarding wire gauges and fuses. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
That's the way it was on my Antenna Amp/Power outlet.

Antenna amplifier draws very little current so running it and the Bestek 300 watt inverter will not be an issue.

When my inverter is running TV and DVD player total draw is less than 5 amp according to my Victron BMV. I believe the circuit is fused for 15 amp. The outlet was originally designed to run much older 12 volt TV's that used Cathode Ray tubes and the amp at the same time. Today's LED TV's draw far less power even though they are many times larger than the old units.

Also, when running without a load, my Bestek 300 W inverter (TSW) draws less than one amp.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Thanks, TitanMike!

I forgot to check the draw last time we watched TV. I'll go ahead and put in a new wall plate first thing this spring!

Cheers

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 01-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #5

Just remember to keep good air circulation around the inverter for the fan to cool properly. I tapped off that circuit for the inverter without a problem.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Theo, what you propose will be fine. But I thought it useful to point out that the wires you will tap for the new plug are almost certainly small gauge wire (probably 18 AWG) which can only handle 10 amps. This means the maximum AC power you can draw from an inverter plugged in to that outlet is 100 watts, even though your inverter is rated for 300 watts. Any more than 100 watts will cause the inverter to cut out due to low input voltage or it will blow the fuse on the DC circuit.

No worries, that is lots for your TV. But don't expect to run a coffee maker or hair dryer...

In order to get 300 watts (30 amps), you would need to pull beefier wires directly from your battery. 10 AWG or bigger.
Barry Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Retired Panpsychist

Thanks for the tips!

The BESTEK was purchased just for the TV as an interim solution when dry camping. No plans to power anything else with it.

I’ll be doing some major rewiring this year or next to support a 200w DIY solar suitcase. At that time, I’ll be installing a 1000w PSW inverter to replace the BESTEK.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Thanks for the tips!

The BESTEK was purchased just for the TV as an interim solution when dry camping. No plans to power anything else with it.

I’ll be doing some major rewiring this year or next to support a 200w DIY solar suitcase. At that time, I’ll be installing a 1000w PSW inverter to replace the BESTEK.
Just some food for thought. In my setup I have the Bestek 300 watt inverter running only the TV. Just perfect and not even working hard enough for the fan to come on.

I also have a 2,000 watt PSW inverter for the heavy loads. I use the Bestek in the evening to watch a movie before "bedtime". The big inverter is shut down.

The current surcharge for the 2,000 watt inverter is far more than that of the Bestek so it's more efficient to use the smaller for small loads and only switch on the 2,000 watt inverter when I need it for anything the Bestek won't handle.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
{snip}...The current surcharge for the 2,000 watt inverter is far more than that of the Bestek so it's more efficient to use the smaller for small loads and only switch on the 2,000 watt inverter when I need it for anything the Bestek won't handle.
Brilliant! Makes a lot of sense, Mike. BESTEK is now assigned to permanent TV duty!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Tags
inverter, power