Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

Power TT From Portable Generator

Can I plug a 30A plug from my TT directly into a portable gas generator? I keep my trailer in a storage facility, so I am thinking this may make it easier to clean up and blow out water lines with my small compressor. Also, what would a good size generator be for this purpose? Thanks!
DSBATCHELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

You'll need an adapter. Use an inverter generator to protect your electronics and make sure you're connecting to a 120v outlet on the generator, not 240v. We often connect to a 2000W Honda inverter genny which is enough to charge batteries, run appliances, etc. but not the air conditioner. Not sure how much your compressor draws, so find out and pick your generator accordingly.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Would. 2000A inverter gen be enough to operate the 1 power slide I have?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

2000 Watts is enough to charge your battery while you run the slide (the slide is actually 12 volts DC).
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

Once I plug the RV into the inverter gen using the mentioned adapter, will the batteries automatically start charging?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes if you have the battery disconnect switch ( if equipped) turned on, the converter will charge your batteries BUT, depending on how discharged they are, you may have to run the generator for quite a while, It will not charge in 3-4 hours especially if you have more than one battery

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Yes if you have the battery disconnect switch ( if equipped) turned on, the converter will charge your batteries BUT, depending on how discharged they are, you may have to run the generator for quite a while, It will not charge in 3-4 hours especially if you have more than one battery
(But, it will keep them from discharging further while you run the slide.)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #8

Perfect. Thanks for the advice!!! Thats what I wanted it for. To power the slide, or use my compressor to winterize, and or charege batteries or atleast keep them fro discharging. Not necessarily everything at one time.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBATCHELDER View Post
I am thinking this may make it easier to clean up and blow out water lines with my small compressor. Also, what would a good size generator be for this purpose? Thanks!

Some generators won't power "small compressors". They don't have enough reserve to start their motors. I have a Champion 3500/4000 Watt open frame contractor style generator that has an RV 30 Amp socket on it along with a regular 120v duplex outlet. It would not start my small compressor that consists of a single phase, capacitor start, motor and belt driven "pump". No Start. Neighbor had a different compressor that had the motor directly connected to the compressor, a design commonly used for powering air nailers, and it did just fine.

The same generator (Champion) powers my AC just fine although I've semi-retired it in favor of a quiet 3500 watt Inverter (also Champion).

If you already have the generator, make sure you see if it will run your compressor. If shopping, it might be a good idea to see how much power the compressor draws first.

You could just rent a generator for the day, one big enough to run your compressor. Cheaper than buying one bigger than you need for just "trailering".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

There are a number of ways to go. Get some behemoth of a "portable" generator that has enough juice to light up your house. Get a pair of easy to move around 2000w gen sets like Honda or Yamaha and hook them together for 4000w total output. Or get a Micro-Air Easy Start for the A/C unit so that it can probably be run comfortably with one 2000w portable. Actually, the two 2000w gen sets with a Micro-Air is the best setup for functionality and ease of use. In that situation, the two gen sets could run everything, including A/C, without breaking a sweat.... and charge the batteries simultaneously.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #11

a good battery charger plugged into the gen. would charge the battery faster then letting the tt charging system do the job
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #12

You will need a neutral/ground bond on your generator. A contractor type generator will probably have this but not the inverter type. You run the risk of electric shock without the bond.
aquenichet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
a good battery charger plugged into the gen. would charge the battery faster then letting the tt charging system do the job
Most stand alone battery chargers don't put out any more current than a good comverter/charger in a TT.

The majority of portable chargers charge at max rates of 10 amp or so. Yes, there are chargers that will charge at a higher rate but they also do a wonderful job of cooking batteries if used improperly.

TT converters on average have 40+ amp capacities and do a great job of charging batteries if connections are all clean and tight.

For what it's worth, the ideal charging system for lead/acid batteries would have a temperature sensor attached to the battery that would control the charge rate. Batteries just don't like to get too hot and an unregulated charger can certainly do that.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power