Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

Power watchdog keeps saying line 1 voltage error

Hello

Recently had our service line upgraded from 30 amp to 50 amp. Have a Hughes autoformers Power WatchDog hooked up. Seems I keep getting a ďLine 1 voltage errorĒ meaning the voltage has exceeded 132 or dropped below 104 volts.

Is this common, meaning these devices are just doing their job or do I have an issue? The unit resets after it senses proper voltage after 90 seconds but just more annoying that it resets our fridge to a lower setting lol.

Should add that Iím at a permanent site with ComEd Smart Meters (Illinois).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	255132Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	255131
Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

Does this coincide with something starting (like an AC) or is it just random?
Old 05-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Are you noticing this with certain appliances running?

The reason I am asking is do you notice this happen when certain loads are being applied. Can you possibly (and safely) check to make sure your neutral is fastened correct and not loose. However if you are not familiar with electricity, please do not do this.

An open/loose neutral can cause funky things to happen, especially when loads are applied.

Check this link out, and then click on the "open neutral" tab

https://www.myrv.us/electric/

If fridge is the shortened form of refrigerator, where did that "d" come from?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Are you noticing this with certain appliances running?

The reason I am asking is do you notice this happen when certain loads are being applied. Can you possibly (and safely) check to make sure your neutral is fastened correct and not loose. However if you are not familiar with electricity, please do not do this.

An open/loose neutral can cause funky things to happen, especially when loads are applied.

Check this link out, and then click on the "open neutral" tab

https://www.myrv.us/electric/

Thanks! Havenít been able to pinpoint, if anything itís happening at night. Has happened twice this weekend.

We did have the electrician out last week as the 50 amp breaker was faulty and the Power Watchdog caught it. Was only getting 20 volts on one line. Replaced the breaker last week and the electrician checked the connection and all seemed well. Think itís worth having him come back out?
Old 05-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Site Team

A few years ago, I was getting weird power things happening in my shop. I could turn on lights on one side and it would affect the lights in another building (even though they are on two different circuit breaker panels). I knew it was probably an open neutral somewhere. The power company came out to test, and it happened to be on the transformer, where the neutral blew out (according to their words). They had just replaced the transformer a few days previously.

Very weird things can happen with a loose or open neutral with 120/240 volt split phase electricity. Here is a pic I took at the time pointing at the neutral hanging down.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

This is an article I link to a lot that explains in simple terms 120/240 volt power and 50 amp RV's with the role of the neutral wire. This may or not be your problem, but it's worth knowing anyway for anything in the future.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

Old 05-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Does this coincide with something starting (like an AC) or is it just random?

Appears to be random. I have both ACs on and residential fridge. I donít even notice it until I see the alarm pop up on phone when Iím at campground.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

IMO your draw is not the issue. IMO you have a supply issue somewhere. The watchdog if similar to the progressive shows voltage before passing through the unit and will not let it pass if not within the parameters pre set. I would call the manufacturer tech support for a definite answer.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
IMO your draw is not the issue. IMO you have a supply issue somewhere. The watchdog if similar to the progressive shows voltage before passing through the unit and will not let it pass if not within the parameters pre set. I would call the manufacturer tech support for a definite answer.

Thanks. Electrician is coming out. He thinks with the holiday weekend coming up ComEd is increasing the feed in anticipation of demand. Heís gonna check the outlet and give them a call.

Tags
power, voltage