Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Pre-cooling Fridge in Storage Yard

I know one of the more controversial discussions here is about running the refrigerator on gas while underway. Folks can get rather passionate with the yays and nays about that practice. Here's a similar topic...
I keep my trailer in a storage yard like so many do. It will fit in my driveway, but backing that puppy in there is a huge hassle so I tend to avoid that. We usually use the trailer for nearby long-weekend beach trips and get everything prepped the day before. That, of course, includes giving the fridge a head start as absorption units take time to cool down.
Long story short, what is everyone's two cents on running the fridge on the battery and propane overnight in a storage yard? I didn't see anything in the fine print on the yard's do's and dont's paperwork when I signed up, and I'm sure if I ask they'll likely say no as a standard CYA. I know there's the risk of a fire, however small with my brand new setup, which is a certain concern. I used to use a different yard that had an outlet nearby so I would sneak an extension cord to my trailer at night and run the fridge on that, which is plenty safe as far as I'm concerned. I no longer have that option.
Don't want to get a flame war going, but I'd be interested in the input from you fine folks.
Thanks as always.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #2

Always easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Seriously, who is going to know if you don't tell them?

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

Red face

You can help the precooling process by using frozen ice packs in both the freezer and refrigerator. Even less expensive, freeze water in gallon size plastic milk or water containers and put them in the compartments. As they defrost, you'll have ice cold water to drink.

As for precooling it in the storage yard, I just don't know what your liability would be.

We tend to take a couple of 7day ice coolers filled with food and drinks when we can't precool the fridge. Once we reach the campsite, with the ice packs having precooled the fridge, it doesn't take that long for the propane/electric to cool it down.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #4

Hi,

For decades, I have been turning mine on the day before a trip, in the storage yard. Never occurred to me that liability there would be any greater while on propane than in a campground or any other location.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #5

I stop by and turn mine on while on way to work and pick up unit on way home. Super cold.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Back when we first started out, I had wondered about running the fridge while in storage. Never considered the 'don't run propane in storage'. Our storage isn't covered, it's just an open parking lot, so not really any different than running it in some of the campgrounds we've been in.

At the time, my concern was the battery. Basically, I didn't want to have to unload everything if we had two back to back trips over adjacent weekends. After many calculations about the drain on the battery, parasitic loads, etc, I've figured out an average of 3-4 amps of parasitic load (with the fridge on). From that alone, I figured out that running the fridge won't work. The AC Delco battery my dealer provided works out to having only about 50 amp hours (rated at 125 RC, convert to AH ~52, round down for safe measure). So, at a 3-4 amp draw for the parasitic loads, and only 50 AH of capacity, of which you shouldn't use more than 1/2, I'd basically drain the battery in like 8 hours, trying to run the fridge on propane.

So, instead we just bring the trailer home the night before, plug it in and let it cool down that way.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I am in the same situation and have wondered how to cool the fridge before a weekend trip. There is no possible way to get the trailer to my house. There is no electricity in my storage lot either.

I like the idea about the frozen jugs of water. I might give that a try.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

As for the liability of running anything on propane while in storage...

I'd hate to think what might happen should anyone's RV catches fire, then burns several other RV's up in the same storage lot.

When that happens to anyone please be sure to stop in and let us know how that works out.

I'm guessing that if you read the fine print of your storage agreement it probably has a clause about running propane unattended.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Don't want to get a flame war going, but I'd be interested in the input from you fine folks.
Thanks as always.
I'm with Reverse Snowbird. Because of the slope of my driveway I am uncomfortable running my fridge for any length of time so we put large frozen water bottles in the fridge and freezer before loading. Food always stays cold or frozen. I put a thermometer in the freezer.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

If you sleep in your RV with the propane-powered fridge running, then running it in a storage facility seems less dangerous.
Full disclosure: The hazards of a highway accident with running propane are offset, in my mind, by being able to cool the fridge on the road.

A tip: Before igniting the fridge, go in and light the cook-top. This will purge the gas lines of ordinary air after a propane tank exchange. If the fridge is downstream of the range, run the furnace for a few seconds.

Start the fridge and go outside and confirm warm air exhaust out the top vent outside. This will save you the inconvenience of coming to a warm fridge the next day, AND it will save you the risk of an ignition failure leading to having to rely on the safety overrides in the fridge shutting off the gas line.

My fridge is "first in line" on the gas distribution, but I know it often fails to ignite unless I fire up a larger appliance downstream to fully charge the gas lines. Once running, it's happy as can be.

Finally, all gas ignition appliances, but particularly the fridge and hot water heater, are vulnerable to dust and pest infiltration. Before you begin a season, it's best to use a compressor to "blow out" the combustion chamber and the orfices and, in the case of the water heater, the air/gas pipe (burner tube). This way you can be confident that the unit will run reliably while you are not there. Again, safety interlocks will eventually shut down the appliance, but I'm reluctant to rely on what should be seen as a safety backup...not the primary means of keeping bad things from happening.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
As for the liability of running anything on propane while in storage...

I'd hate to think what might happen should anyone's RV catches fire, then burns several other RV's up in the same storage lot.

When that happens to anyone please be sure to stop in and let us know how that works out.

I'm guessing that if you read the fine print of your storage agreement it probably has a clause about running propane unattended.
Please show me one instance of an RV catching fire and burning down because the fridge was running on propane while parked.

I have NEVER heard of that happening.

I had, many years ago an old Layton 73 model camper with a 3 way fridge (some weird British made thing). If I tried to use the propane while towing it would create LOTS of smoke and soot. That may have been a hazard so I stopped doing that.

No modern camper I know of has that issue and we have the fridge running on propane EVERY time we tow it.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Interesting thoughts on the liability issue. I keep my TT in a storage facility that has open, covered, and garage spaces. Some of the covered ones have electricity. I'm under cover, no electric. I can imagine there is just a great of a risk leaving a coach plugged in while stored as a propane fridge being run. I'll have to pull out my contract and check, but I don't think there are any restrictions. That aside, I go there 2 days before we depart and turn on the batteries and propane, purge the lines, and get the fridge going. When we grab the TT the fridge is cool, and the freezer is,,,,,, freezing.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #13

I would think if it is safe enough to sleep in with it on it wouldn’t be a problem.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
RV There Yet?

if there is nothing in your storage contract about it, you are fine. no different than running your fridge on propane at a campground and not being there, or sleeping. either way, you are not in direct control of it. do you turn off the gas to your water heater and furnace before you leave your sticks and bricks house every day? and if a fire were to happen and you were there, what could you do about it? this is what insurance is for.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

My motor home is stored in an outside lot, summer and winter.
I always fire up my frig the day before.
The operator of the storage facility is aware.
I would never run the frig or any thing else, if the unit was stored in an enclosed space.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #16

Fridge in storage yard

I have done it for years. No problems.
awc4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #17

Pre-cooling

We leave the day after Christmas to head south so it gets busy the week before. Our storage yard is only 10 minutes away so we bring 'Waldo' home Christmas Eve morning to pack and turn up systems, frig/frez, furnace, and put some water in the tank (depending how cold it is here, here being NJ). On our way to the family get together that evening we bring 'Waldo' back to the storage yard and plug it. Christmas morning I check things out. That evening I fill the TV up at the local WAWA, get the RV, bring it home, plug it in and get some sleep. Or so it says in the fine print.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
... but I'd be interested in the input from you fine folks.
We do it all the time. We're leaving for Acadia in the morning. Reefer has been running since Monday. We already have three trays of ice dumped and all the food is good to go.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #19

I always start the refrigerator the day before I depart.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #20

I do it all the time!

Quote:
I know one of the more controversial discussions here is about running the refrigerator on gas while underway. Folks can get rather passionate with the yays and nays about that practice. Here's a similar topic...
I keep my trailer in a storage yard like so many do. It will fit in my driveway, but backing that puppy in there is a huge hassle so I tend to avoid that. We usually use the trailer for nearby long-weekend beach trips and get everything prepped the day before. That, of course, includes giving the fridge a head start as absorption units take time to cool down.
Long story short, what is everyone's two cents on running the fridge on the battery and propane overnight in a storage yard? I didn't see anything in the fine print on the yard's do's and dont's paperwork when I signed up, and I'm sure if I ask they'll likely say no as a standard CYA. I know there's the risk of a fire, however small with my brand new setup, which is a certain concern. I used to use a different yard that had an outlet nearby so I would sneak an extension cord to my trailer at night and run the fridge on that, which is plenty safe as far as I'm concerned. I no longer have that option.
Thanks as always.
I do it all the time. We live in Florida (hot and humid) and I put ice packs and turn the refrigerator on "on propane". Then, when I go home by the end of the day, the refrigerator is cool enough to put the food in.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fridge, storage