Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

problem with ZX600

I have a Concertone ZX600 in my 2009 Rockwood 8313ss. Up until now my only issues with the unit have been minor and not enough to get worked up about. However, on Saturday I went to my rig at the storage lot to do something. I installed the battery, put out the main slide, and attempted to turn on the radio, the "standby" light was on, but the unit would not turn on. I have used the radio like this many times before with no problem. I verified I had 13.1 volts at the battery, the slide and all of the ceiling lights inside worked fine, there was no blown fuse at the breaker, I cycled the breaker for the radio as well as the main breaker. After all of this, still no radio.

I plan to get into this repair this weekend while camping. Before I get started, does anyone have any advice? I don't know how to get the head unit out, but I assume you start bny removing the trim around the perimeter. Help!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Ctrl-alt-delete

Maybe it was still rebooting.

I have no idea how long the reboot process takes. When you go from complete powerdown to "on" maybe it takes a while.

Could have "locked up" too. Try pulling the fuse (or killing the battery) and resetting it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #3

Mine did the same thing once. After trying everything I could think of, twice, I was ready to pull what hair I have left out. For some reason I thought of taking the batteries out of the remote. I did and the unit starting working normally.
(Am I allowed to use the word normal when referring to the concertone?)
I then placed the same batteries back in the remote and everything was normal.
(Oops, I used the word normal again!)
A couple of months later and it did it again. I tried the same fix but it didn't work this time. My dealer replaced the unit and so far everything is back to normal.
(#%&$^! Sorry, I just can't seem to break the habit of using the word normal in reference to the concertone!!!)
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

Been there and done that.
I went through this with three different units. All covered under warranty.
I'm afraid that if yours is like mine, it's dead!
To remove the unit, you first have to remove the trim.
There are two slots on the bottom that a flat blade screwdriver will fit into.
Just gently pry the trim off.
Mine had 4 screws that held the unit in place.
Beware, there are 500 Million wires coming off the back of this unit.
(Ok maybe only twenty).

If under warranty then the dealer should handle this for you.
In warranty has expired then I recommend a different unit.

I replaced mine with a "Home Theatre" unit.
(See more about that in Concertone threads)

I can no longer run it on 12V but that is not an issue for us.
Several of the guys here have used the Jensen units and have been very happy with them.

Concertone is pure junk!

Good luck.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #5

I think I have read that the warranty is one year on these. I am right at 2 years on mine so I may be out of luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I think I have read that the warranty is one year on these. I am right at 2 years on mine so I may be out of luck.
Yep!
I have seen a few of these on e-bay real cheap but you are only pro-longing the enevitable. Sorry man!

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #7

Mine didnt work when i got it from storage or on the first trip out but thursday last week getting ready for a trip i walk by it and said a few choice words to it and pushed the power button real hard and low and behold the piece of crap came on and has been working ever since. Go figure
Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #8

Same story here. I went out to storage last evening, and now it works. Didn't even have to use any "choice words" either. We'll see how it works this weekend.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #9

Jensen AWM970

Jensen AWM970 AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/iPod Ready Wall Mount Stereo for RV/Marine/Travel Trailer/Toy Hauler/Cargo use - Stereo System
on sale for $245.00
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16
gillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
Mine didnt work when i got it from storage or on the first trip out but thursday last week getting ready for a trip i walk by it and said a few choice words to it and pushed the power button real hard and low and behold the piece of crap came on and has been working ever since. Go figure
Jeez! I didn't know the magic words!
You mean I did all this for nothing!

Bill

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

The magic words i used are probably not to be said on a family forums
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #12

Well isn't that interesting, we have just put #8 in this past Nov. and it does not work again, We give up. All of these units are lemons. I want my money back so I can buy something that works. Just give yours a little time it will fail again!!!! Usually right after your warranty is up....
camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper25 View Post
Well isn't that interesting, we have just put #8 in this past Nov. and it does not work again, We give up. All of these units are lemons. I want my money back so I can buy something that works. Just give yours a little time it will fail again!!!! Usually right after your warranty is up....
We get it - we get it. You want to introduce us to you with the same message on every thread.
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
The Old Man

Yes, if I put something in and it blows...well it might be that item. But if a second one blows (or a third, etc.), then I might suspect that something else is causing the problem. It usually doesn't take me more than 3 times to see a pattern developing...

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Yes, if I put something in and it blows...well it might be that item. But if a second one blows (or a third, etc.), then I might suspect that something else is causing the problem. It usually doesn't take me more than 3 times to see a pattern developing...
Those Concertone units make for very expensive fuses for everybody! ;-)
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #16

I have spent many years as a field electronics service technician. I worked on yachts, houses, and some RVs. It has always amazed me had how mad a person gets at a peice of equipment when it doesn't work. Only to find out that a short cut was taken, or heaven forbid, someone made a mistake when installing something. If you find a blown fuse to a light and you replace it, and as soon as you replace it it blows again, do you keep putting fuses back in? Or do you go to the light and try to figure the problem. This may not be your forte, but you don't get this mad about something. One of the worst things for a tech to work on is an intermittent problem. Whenever it gets to the tech it works! I can not, for the life of me, see that this many devices are bad. After some one gets something working, they don't seem to post the results. When I was a senior technician, it was my job to help the younger techs out. I can't tell you how many times they would call me and say "the autopilot display is dead". My first question always was "what is the voltage?" If they said anything other than a number, I hung up. They didn't check the basics. Most times the issue is a blown fuse, loose connection, bad ground, etc, easy fixes. Our TTs and RVs take a pretty good beating going down the road. Many of the DC wiring connections are less than desirable, IMO, in our new TT. Like I said in a previous post, I do not like butt (crimp) connectors. A terminal strip would be better but soldering and covering with heat shrink is best. I understand why butt connectors were used. Time, money, and skills play a big role. Please look further than the on/ off button of a device before complaining about it. And please, if you have trouble with something, please post results. That will help so many forum members.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #17

contact Bob Fields on this forum he will be able to assist you

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
And please, if you have trouble with something, please post results. That will help so many forum members.
Bingo. That is the goal here. Also I must add that these units are COMPUTERS as much as they are radios. Voltage dependant devices.
Low voltage and high temperatures will not make you happy with their performance.

My very high end laptop drove me nuts till I bought a fan unit that sits under it when I use it. The additional cooling is MANDATORY to make it work without hiccups. Flaming the manufacturer for not incorporating enough cooling does nothing to fix my problem. Additional cooling with a 20 dollar fan pad made me a "happy camper".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote