Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Question about Sunseeker 2450 furnace

Hi everyone - we are new to both RV’ing and this Forum, but I have a question that I’m hopeful can be answered by one of you seasoned vets around here! We recently purchased a bank-owned 2004 Sunseeker 2450. As it was bank-owned we got a sweet deal on it, but unfortunately there wasn’t any pre-delivery walkthrough or training to get us up to speed on how everything works. Subsequently I’ve been spending a lot of time on Youtube catching up on how most of the basics work. One problem we are having, though, is that I can’t seem to get the darned furnace to start up. Here are the specifics of what I have done to try and get it started so far:
  1. Topped off the propane tank and opened the valve for use.
  2. I purged the LPG lines of air by starting all of the burners on the stove and letting them burn for a couple minutes.
  3. I checked the LPG Gas Detector to make sure it was on. It appears to be a model that does not have an on/off switch, so it looks like it is on all the time. It has a mute button but that’s it. The green light is on (constant green light, not blinking) showing that it is “Operating”.
  4. The battery disconnect is ON.
  5. I moved the Suburban thermostat from “Off” to about 80 degrees, well above the internal temp of 60 degrees.
  6. Waited for a couple minutes and nothing happened at this point. No clicking from the electric igniter at all. On the RV monitor (that thingy that shows the levels of each water tank, house batteries, etc) there is a rocker switch that says “HTR” on it. Assuming this is for the furnace, I clicked it ON and it lights up red. Waited for a couple more minutes and nothing happened.
  7. I used a multi-meter to check all of the fuses to the house and they all appear to be working correctly. At least they all show a charge going through when I touch the leads to both sides of each fuse.
  8. One odd thing I noticed is that when I slide the thermostat from off on, there is a very very quiet whistle or beep noise (it is a constant beep noise - like beeeeeeeeeeeep, not beep-beep-beep) that I can hear coming from behind the air return near the floor. When I slide the thermostat back to off, the tiny noise goes away. The only reason I even heard it was that I picked something up off the floor and noticed it. Otherwise I wouldn't have heard anything.
At this point I am lost on what possibly to do next, so clearly I am missing some step that would help get the furnace to fire up and heat the RV. Do the switches next to the battery disconnect have anything to do with it? The right switch appears to operate the electric step, but the left one when flipped lights up red but nothing happens. I thought it might operate the light outside the entry door, but since nothing happened I figured the light must be burned out. Does the HTR switch even have anything to do with the furnace at all? Any help or suggestions you pro’s can provide would be greatly appreciated! I’d hate to take it in to the shop just for the techs to tell me something basic, like I need to have the key in the ignition or something simple like that. Thanks!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	44963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	44964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	44965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	44966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 5.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	44967  

treeguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeguy100 View Post
  1. The battery disconnect is ON.
  2. I moved the Suburban thermostat from “Off” to about 80 degrees, well above the internal temp of 60 degrees.
  3. Waited for a couple minutes and nothing happened at this point. No clicking from the electric igniter at all. On the RV monitor (that thingy that shows the levels of each water tank, house batteries, etc) there is a rocker switch that says “HTR” on it. Assuming this is for the furnace, I clicked it ON and it lights up red. Waited for a couple more minutes and nothing happened.
  4. .Does the HTR switch even have anything to do with the furnace at all? Any help or suggestions you pro’s can provide would be greatly appreciated! I’d hate to take it in to the shop just for the techs to tell me something basic, like I need to have the key in the ignition or something simple like that. Thanks!

Scott
The htr switch is for using your water heater on propane. This may help in the understanding of that:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Feel free to ask any/all questions. That's why we are all here, to help one another.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

I might be looking at it backwards but maybe the battery disconnect should be OFF. Meaning the battery should be connected. I think you need 12v battery power for the furnace.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip, wmtire! That answers a question I didn't even know I had yet...how to turn on the water heater!

Bryan2503S - As for the battery disconnect, if I am not plugged in to shore power and the disconnect is OFF, then none of the lights or other 12v items work. When I turn the plastic key to ON, I am then definitely running off of the house batteries and all 12v items work. Thanks for your question, though!

Scott
Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

ok, i have it backwards.

Was thinking if battery disconnect was ON, then battery would be disconnected, and nothing worked.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion, Bryan. Hopefully we figure this out soon...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

Although you purged the gas supply line to the stove, there maybe air still trapped in the furnace supply line causing the furnace to fault.

Try this. Make sure gas valve is open, power supply on, switch the thermostat to the on position set to max temp, Wait to see if it comes on. If not, simply switch the thermostat off, wait like ten seconds, then switch it back on, set to max temp and see if it comes on. Continue this until the unit fires.

Once one, you'll have to find the sweet spot on your thermostat because their not accurate and most likely you'll find your setting where it doesn't match the actual temp.
Bill94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2450, furnace, sunseeker