Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Questions about Dish TV

We have been using Direct TV since before it was Direct TV but I have been getting more and more frustrated with them, especially their customer service. Now that they have to drop the regional network option I figured it would be a good time to change to Dish but I have a few questions before I pull the plug on Direct (pun intended).
In order to get comparable channels to what we have now we would have to get the Top 200 package which will cost $85/month for two years.
My questions:
1. How much can I expect our bill to increase after the 2 year intro?
2. Is there an extra monthly charge for having the Hopper?
3. Can we watch two different channels on separate sets at the same time?
4. I would like an automatic dish that is portable and is connected with coax. I understand at least some have special cables which I prefer not to have to use. Suggestions?
5. From what I understand you can receive your local networks regardless of where you are. Is this true.
6. How much of a hassle is it when you change locations?
7. And last but not least, how is their customer service?
Thank you in advance for any input you folks can provide.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

I have been trying to get some of these answers as well. Hopefully someone can help you figure this out. I will watch for the results.
Good luck.
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

I have the rv package so pay as you go no contract and have the top 120 package with local channels and two receivers and l pay $93.00 and it goes up every year min $5.00.
As for the equipment I own it.i started out with the tailgater and it only supports one receiver also tailgater doesnt work with it running on more than 50ft coax and when it rain you lose hd channels. With my new 5th wheel have two tv so I went with full size dish so I could run 2 receivers and tv.if you want a small portable dish I would look at the king I belive it requires power and will also work on coax that's preran in your unit and run 2 receivers.
Two change locals I use the app it faster than calling
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #4

Forgot customer service on the rv side it better they have my number set to go direct to rv department as want to speak to a person that speak clear and understandable English.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

Gmoney67. You say you have a full sized dish. Is that automatic or do you have to align it manually?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

We’ve had dish for many years and our bill is about $185 per month. It includes monthly fee for 1 hopper and 4 Joeys. I purchased a tailgater and Wally for use in the rv. When we turn it on in the spring it costs an additional $7 per month and I get all the channels same as home. I’ve always had good response with customer service. Just used it Thursday. We have not used rv since returning from Texas two months ago and after that length of disuse of receiver I usually need them to ping my receiver to get all my channels. They said I could go online and do it myself so next time I’ll try that first. Overall it’s like any other service. After promotional period rates gradually increase but dish offers HD on the portable satellite so we stick with it. Only use it on one tv in rv. That’s all we need. Use OTA for other TVs. Once outside 250+ miles from home lose local stations but a quick call to change your “service” address will get you local stations. We don’t usually use this although one winter in Texas did use successfully. Also Dish Anywhere is a nice app and can provide service to tablet or phone. Overall very satisfied.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #7

We have Dish service at our house and use it in our RV.

1. Can't say what the annual increase is.
2. We have a Hopper 3 at the house and its costs $15 per month.
3. At the house with the Hopper we can watch and or record up to 16 channels at a time.
4. For the RV we use a Pathway 2 antenna with a Wally receiver. It finds the satellites automatically and can connect 2 receivers. But the receivers must use only 1 satellite at a time.
5. We receive local networks at home and can receive them while in the RV as long as we are not too far from home (within the same state, Florida). If farther away you can receive the local channels where you are but you must contact Dish to tell them to change the local channel setup.
6. No hassle to change locations. At the new location I point the antenna to the south and tell the Wally receiver what state it is in. The Wally goes through its new setup to find the satellites and after about 10 minutes I have satellite service just like at home. The only difference is that anything recorded cannot be viewed through the Wally. But Dish has an included service called Dish Anywhere. Using an internet connection you can watch live TV or anything recorded on the Hopper.
7. I have found the customer service to be pretty good although at times there is a wait to talk with a human.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney67 View Post
I have the rv package so pay as you go no contract and have the top 120 package with local channels and two receivers and l pay $93.00 and it goes up every year min $5.00.
As for the equipment I own it.i started out with the tailgater and it only supports one receiver also tailgater doesnt work with it running on more than 50ft coax and when it rain you lose hd channels. With my new 5th wheel have two tv so I went with full size dish so I could run 2 receivers and tv.if you want a small portable dish I would look at the king I belive it requires power and will also work on coax that's preran in your unit and run 2 receivers.
Two change locals I use the app it faster than calling
Your experience with dish is completely different from ours and our friends.
Price only goes up if your contract ends, and then you can call customer retention and usually get a better deal for same or less money. If you are on no contract, call them up and you might be surprised with a price reduction.

You can buy portable dish with one or two receivers output.
We and our friends have used our Tailgater/King with up to 200' of coax with no problem. You just need a quality RG6 cable.
Several friends have the newer King dish and they do not require a separate power cable.
We rarely lose signal due to weather. And never lose just the HD channels. It takes a pretty good weather cell to cause interference.
Currently you can only use the app to change locals if you only have the RV service. If you have service both at your home and your RV, you have to call in to change locals, but it takes about 5 minutes to get it done. We do it often with no problems.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
Gmoney67. You say you have a full sized dish. Is that automatic or do you have to align it manually?
Manual
Old 05-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Your experience with dish is completely different from ours and our friends.
Price only goes up if your contract ends, and then you can call customer retention and usually get a better deal for same or less money. If you are on no contract, call them up and you might be surprised with a price reduction.

You can buy portable dish with one or two receivers output.
We and our friends have used our Tailgater/King with up to 200' of coax with no problem. You just need a quality RG6 cable.
Several friends have the newer King dish and they do not require a separate power cable.
We rarely lose signal due to weather. And never lose just the HD channels. It takes a pretty good weather cell to cause interference.
Currently you can only use the app to change locals if you only have the RV service. If you have service both at your home and your RV, you have to call in to change locals, but it takes about 5 minutes to get it done. We do it often with no problems.

Im a full time rver so that why I did the rv account and no contract and I own the equipment I can at any time stop and start services at anytime with no fees.
Yes the king tailgater will do just as you say I should have said (winegard playmaker)wish they would have told me before I bought mine I would have paid 100.00 more for the king.

Edit: mine is wineguard playmaker
Old 05-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #11

Dish

I am old. I come from the days for the cable and phone where you had one choice take it or leave it (and that was the level of service you got--take it or leave it. I buy my equipment with no contract (still today). So if the company pisses me of I tell them where to put their service. I've had every bodies service because if you pissed me off I would change.
I still buy my equipment (no contract) but i find the current DISH network to be next level customer service. If I have an issue they take their time and walk me through what I need to do. Dish service costs $7 more per month for my RV than my house service alone.
I got a pathway2. Works great. Easy to set up. Can use east or west satellites (good for when you have one side blocked by trees). I recommend it. I bought mine on amazon with a small DISH joey matched to it.
jentwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentwistle View Post
I am old. I come from the days for the cable and phone where you had one choice take it or leave it (and that was the level of service you got--take it or leave it. I buy my equipment with no contract (still today). So if the company pisses me of I tell them where to put their service. I've had every bodies service because if you pissed me off I would change.
I still buy my equipment (no contract) but i find the current DISH network to be next level customer service. If I have an issue they take their time and walk me through what I need to do. Dish service costs $7 more per month for my RV than my house service alone.
I got a pathway2. Works great. Easy to set up. Can use east or west satellites (good for when you have one side blocked by trees). I recommend it. I bought mine on amazon with a small DISH joey matched to it.

I'm same way you piss me off I'm done dont care simple
Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
We have been using Direct TV since before it was Direct TV but I have been getting more and more frustrated with them, especially their customer service. Now that they have to drop the regional network option I figured it would be a good time to change to Dish but I have a few questions before I pull the plug on Direct (pun intended).
In order to get comparable channels to what we have now we would have to get the Top 200 package which will cost $85/month for two years.
My questions:
4. I would like an automatic dish that is portable and is connected with coax. I understand at least some have special cables which I prefer not to have to use. Suggestions?
5. From what I understand you can receive your local networks regardless of where you are. Is this true.

Check out my post #17 here ; https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ls-207465.html

My solution may only be a "bandaid" for now until this whole DirecTv/Dish/Stelar thing is sorted out but, unless you're having equipment/service issues all the time then this will get you all the major networks without having to constantly call them.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #14

Dish tv setup

Quote:
My questions:
I will try to explain our setup: We have dish at home pay for all of the Hopper's (2) and Joeys (3) in the fifth wheel we have a VIP722K DVR. I believe that you pay for all the equipment on a monthly basis except for the first Hopper. We own the VIP722K but still pay a $7 monthly charge. The VIP is one of the only receivers that support one feed and two different tv's that can view different channels. The only dish is the manually outside dish on a tripod, I believe this is a Dish 500. (Seems like they may have come out with a automatic dish that will feed like the Dish500 but not sure on that) Hassle sometimes to setup but worth it in the end. We do pay a $12 a month charge for DVR service that cover all of the receivers.
I did have to change out some of the inside wiring to feed to the second tv from the receiver, I Googled the setup to show me how to do this, don't remember exactly how it is done but it will cause me to change the coax back if we happen to hook up to cable service at a campground. Don't remember it being hard to do, but it has been 7 years since I did it.
We get the same service while traveling on the VIP that we get at home. If we are too far from home to get our own local channels we have to change the zipcode for the service. Right now we are 3-1/2 hours from home and still get our locals. The worst thing is if you change zipcode it changes on all of the service including what is at home, gets dicey if you are recording anything on locals at home, and you have to remember to change back when you get home. I never stop the service in the fifth wheel, it is too much trouble for just 7 a month. If you do not use the receiver in the camper for over 2 to 3 weeks you have to have a signal refresh. You can do this on your mobile app real easy. Just log in on the mobile app, go to services and click on wake up or refresh my equipment. Not sure but I think you have to call to change the zipcode. We have friends with a motor home that has two different receivers for two different tv's they just have a dual line running from their Dish 500. We just like the VIP722K with the DVR . You should be able to pick one of these up off ebay for a cheap price. Hope this helps.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentwistle View Post

X2

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #16

Quote:
My questions:
We have Dish at home and just add a Wally for our Camper which costs us $10 per month that we use that service.

Quote:
Yes you can expect the monthly cost to increase to around $120 or so when the introductory period is over and they figure yo are "Hooked"

Quote:
Yes it is included in that $120.

Quote:
Not without two different receivers. Each additional would cost more per month if you added them and they were not on the "Dish On Demand" for traveling.

Quote:
The Tailgater works well for this. You just have to insure you have a clear unobstructed view of the S sky. Otherwise your channel selection may be limited or no service at all.

This is true of any satellite receiver.

Quote:
Yes, when you move you have to call them (they say you can do this online but you cannot) and tell them where you are. They will then insure you get the local stations for your current location. You cannot get local stations for your home everywhere

Quote:
A simple phone call and some patience for the system to catch up is all. Overnight at the max)

Quote:
No worse than anyone else.

Quote:
Hope this was a help.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #17

Check out Dish for my RV. Very good customer service. You can wake up your receiver change zip codes from a app on you phone to receive local channels. I use a older 211Z receiver wich has limitations. They offer the Wally which offers more options on the receiver. I use the tailgater pro auto sat dish. It has two outputs. East and west arc. It's the smoke colored one that you can see the dish. Cable is the standard RG59? cable. Comes with 35ft. I have used up to 100ft but you can loose performance. Use high quality cable for best performance. I suggest purchase the tripod but a small table will work for the dish.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #18

to answer your question about 'can I have two TVs watching different channels at the same time':

it depends - it depends on what ANTENNA you have both connected to. A 'full range' house-type open faced 3LNB 'eyeball' antenna will allow THREE receivers to provide ANY channels to their TVs from ANY of the three satellites - 110, 119, and 129.

Most RV owners don't carry a house-type antenna, since it must be set up, absolutely level, and horizontal/vertical specs changed for each location, UNLESS you purchase the insanely expensive 'automatic' TRAVELER articulating roof-top Antenna. Cool if you have the money, and the money to have it installed on your roof, but also problematic on it's own if you happen to LIKE to park in the shade! Antennas of any type need CLEAR sky to see the satellites, at least for the most part*

Most RV owners use a 'portable' Antenna, like the King Tailgater, Dish Playmaker, etc - the 'dome' type. These are AUTOMATIC and require nothing from you other than the aforementioned CLEAR sky toward the satellites(south/southwest). You can attach this to your roof, you can place it on your roof, you can place it on the ground, a picnic table, a tripod, or a rock - it doesn't care! (it does NOT require to be level...which is nice)
Now, with these 'portables' - they only have ONE 'LNB' eyeball - so the antenna can only provide a SINGLE view, or satellite, to your receiver, but it does MOVE to the other satellite when you change a channel to one that is on another satellite - automatically. But, because a portable antenna ONLY has a single LNB eyeball, two receivers trying to 'control' it to change to a different channel that resides on a different satellite will not work - the manufacturer therefore provides a 'MAIN' output, for your Primary TV that you will watch, and a 'secondary' output, the the other receiver where you might only watch TV at other times. It's your choice as to 'which' of your TV/Receivers are deemed the MAIN, since your TV watching will help decide that. If you watch most TV outside, then let your outside TV/Receiver plug into the MAIN output of the portable Antenna, and so forth.
So, what happens is that while the MAIN tv/receiver can watch any of the channels from ANY of the satellites, that 'secondary' TV/receiver can ONLY watch channels that reside on the satellite that it was programmed to - meaning, the satellite that the MAIN receiver was tuned to at the time the secondary receiver was programmed.
Headache?? Well, yes, it's a little confusing at first, but when you realize what is happening, it becomes more clear, and the secondary tv/receiver can watch tv channels just fine, and in HD for those channels in HD, but it will be 'limited' to channels on that specific satellite. We find that Sat 129, most channels in HD, is probably the best to have the MAIN receiver tuned to, such as channel 112 HGTV in HD, when the secondary receiver is programmed - but, each owner makes that decision when they realize what they want that secondary tv/receiver to be able to see.
If you have your MAIN receiver in your bedroom, as we do, and I want to watch a 3hour football game, or Nascar, etc while outside in the afternoon - I will make sure that the bedroom MAIN receiver is on the channel that is/will show that before I program the secondary 'outside' tv/receiver.

Well, a short explanation to a long drawn-out explanation, of sorts - but you might get the picture - it's not intuitive at first, even with instructions - but after some time with satellite tv and your receivers and how they operate, you'll understand more.

We started with DISH back in 2014, when brand new to the RVing world, in our Palazzo. We were parked at a 'winter snow bird' Cleawater Florida RV resort when I called DISH and asked them to come out and provide me three receivers and a satellite dish. Now, I had NEVER had satellite before, of any sort, but saw that MANY RV owners did, so I figured that it must have some merit, especially when you don't know from one park or campground to the next 'which' is going to have cable, or internet, or even able to receive local over-the-air antenna channels... so I took the plunge.
They sent over a third-party contractor installer, who also had a helper. They came right to the RV park, set up our 'house type' open-faced 3LNB antenna right in front of the RV, on a tripod. The ran the three cables into the RV thru a window, which I had told them to do, for the time being. They set up the three receivers, all VIP211k models, and within a few minutes we had 250+ channels of 'tv'.
Now, did I know everything suddenly about 'satellite tv', especially 'how' to setup and zone in the Antenna when we eventually moved? No, not by a long shot, but I knew it could be done, read up on it online, watched some videos, and eventually figured out 'how' the process works. We used this 'manual' antenna for many months before we eventually decided that with so much travel, a roof-top 'portable' might be more convenient. It was, and it works so good, and I still have the SAME exact King Tailgater2 dome antenna, dropped several times(!), since we purchased it back in 2015....I'm watching it now!
It rides 'temporarily' on the rear of the roof, right behind the rear a/c unit, and has the coax cable that runs over the edge of the roof, and down thru the slide seal of the bedroom slide, into the MAIN bedroom receiver. Works like a charm, like today, where I simply pulled into walmart, found a spot for the afternoon to watch the SpaceX launch, powered on the receiver, pressed a few buttons, and 'voila!'...TV!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #19

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I guess I'm still on the fence about switching. I am from the old school as well and my theory is simple is best. I have a manual dish with Direct and usually don't have much trouble aligning it. It sits on a high quality tripod. The dish has 5 LNB's but just one coax that I connect to the connector in the wet bay. We have a Genie receiver with Genie Mini in the bedroom so we can watch two channels at once and even recorded programs from one to the other.

We are full timers and have cut our travel down to just twice a year. In NC in the winter and NH in the summer. I really don't care about receiving any local networks as long as we can receive the major networks. One of my concerns is that, as I understand it, Direct has to drop the regional networks, NY and LA June first. It's been a hassle in the past to switch local programing from one locacation to another. The last time it took two calls asking to talk to somebody that could speak real English.

Maybe the thing to do is switch from one provider to the other every year or so and take advantage to promos.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #20

I just got the Dish system when the Playmaker with Wally box was on sale for $250. I added it to my daughter’s 200 channel service for $7.00 a month. Dish customer service was great. Not saying it’s always that way but I’m impressed.