Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Questions about Furion observation camera

I'm thinking of installing an observation camera in my pre-wired Cherokee, but have a few questions.
I know the camera will fit into the prewired place at the rear of my TT. However does it come with a screen to see what the camera sees or will I have to purchase and wire a receiver in my TV?
In other words is it completely plug and play or do I need to purchase other components?
Cherokee 264 DBH
Ram 1500 double cab TV.
Terry Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Enjoying Life

Search for the observation camera on amazon. The price seems to change daily. It comes with the camera, display and mount for cab. You may be able to find it other places but just make sure it is the observation camera.
I installed mine a few months ago and it went like a charm. System works great. Just remember you must have the running lights on for it to work.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

The observation camera is on whenever the running lights are on (that's how it gets its power). Just turn on your parking lights and the camera is up and running.

The backup camera is powered by the reverse light circuit and is ONLY powered when in reverse. It can NOT be wired to be on all the time like the observation camera because the camera imager will overheat and burn out.

As stated, MAKE SURE you buy the observation camera. It is much better and worth the extra money.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

The Furrion Observation camera model # FOS48TAPK-BL is the one that you want to get as it has the best range.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Let me know when Furrion 5" Vision S system comes down in price. The best price I've seen so far is on etrailer, for 485 bucks. Ridiculous. The 4.3" screen is good deal cheaper, I don't think I need to be squinting at a screen that tiny when I'm trying to make lane changes.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

We love our observation camera! The display has a suction cup, to attach it whetever you like, and it is adjustable so the driver can customize the angle of the screen
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #7

The observation camera comes with a screen you mount up in your TV. Get the Observation Camera and not the Back-Up Camera (backup is only on when you backup and doesn't have the camera range like Observation. The Observation Camera is an aid to backing up as well as keeping a check on everything behind you. The new ones are Bluetooth so don't have the interference and static issues like the old Wifi units that are from others. We love ours. You can ride with the distance and reference lines turned on for the screen, or turn them off and only see camera. The green, yellow, red lines give me a reference of how close my rear end is to an object, or someone trying to drive up my arse.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Grammar Pedant

Mine was completely plug-and-play. Took me about 5 minutes to install. The hardest part about the install was seating the cable. The camera sits pretty deep into the housing and there isn't much room for the power cable to sit back there.

As was mentioned before, FR wires these into the running lights. So, you have to have some lights on for the camera to come on. After that, it's really nice. I don't use it much for backing up. I still relay on mirrors and spotters ... I probably need more practice to get used to the camera. I use it all the time during driving ... especially for lane changes. That's why you need the Observation version ... for driving.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgelsie View Post
We love our observation camera! The display has a suction cup, to attach it whetever you like, and it is adjustable so the driver can customize the angle of the screen
We got ours in 2015, and unless they are different now, you have to PAIR them. That is the worst part. Our son was camping with us and he helped the DH do that, he climbed up the back of the 5th Wheel and DH was in the tv, son presses one thing and DH presses his button at the same time - PITA!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

I bought mine last spring and it was already paired
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #11

Added benefits of the Observation Camera

The video quality is OK; nice to see if anybody is trailing right behind me, e.g., when I slow down going up a hill!

Also ... if I turn on the parking lights and the video image does not show up, it's a possible warning that my 7-pin umbilical cord is not connected properly. Not a substitute for a walk around light check but one more confirmation there's power going from the TV to TT!
BjceyzF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The observation camera is on whenever the running lights are on (that's how it gets its power). Just turn on your parking lights and the camera is up and running.

The backup camera is powered by the reverse light circuit and is ONLY powered when in reverse. It can NOT be wired to be on all the time like the observation camera because the camera imager will overheat and burn out.

As stated, MAKE SURE you buy the observation camera. It is much better and worth the extra money.
I have the backup camera version, it was given to us at the Rally! But anyways.. It works with the parking lights and can stay on all the time. I find it gets pixelated if you start driving more than a few miles per hour. It does not cut out completely but will blank out once in a while while at highway speeds so not he best for watching behind you when underway.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #13

Have had this camera since August. It works very well and I’d recommend it to anyone.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
Canadian Member

You should be able to connect ther camera to power on a bench and pair it without it being mounted.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #15

Furrion VisionS System

I am installing as part of my delivery package the entire Vision S system with 7 inch monitor and four cameras.
  • 1 rear
  • 2 sides
  • 1 entry door
The monitor can be detached and taken inside for full camera display on a stand for a security view.

I don't have good side mirrors and consider this a safety investment. I will have rear and side views of my trailer split screen.

https://furrion.com/products/vision-s-configurator
TomLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #16

Our fifth came with the Furrion back-up system. (FOS-12 I believe) It was ok for what it was designed for but definitely had a very limited field of view. I replaced it two years ago with the observation system (FOS-48). It took longer to get the ladder and a screwdriver than it did to make the swap as it’s a common mount for both. The observation system is far superior. Far better field of view, far better reception and virtually no drop of signal. Mine was powered by the running lights right from the factory.

I bought the observation system from Amazon. It was much cheaper than anywhere else. In fact I bought one that came with another mount (that I didn’t need) as it was cheaper than one without. Many folks swear by other brands and for them that may be the way to go. I can’t comment on that but for simplicity I’ll stick with the Furrion system. Good luck.

Cheers
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #17

We have the Furrion observation camera and really like it. Have never lost signal when on and very clear picture. The instructions are not real clear but you need to pair the camera to the monitor before you mount the camera. Power cord to the monitor has extra plug to power the camera briefly in your vehicle first so you can pair them up. Then mount the camera to back of camper, as mentioned it is then powered by the clearance lights. Occasionally, you can find a good price on refurbished units and warrantied by Furrion. Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #18

I bought mine from Amazon and took it to the dealer when I went to pick up and they installed for me. A little bird told me Amazon was cheaper but they'd install it!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #19

Observation camera

Thanks for all the replies!
Cherokee 264 DBH
Ram 1500 double cab TV.
Terry Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Still holding off on their latest system. With taxes, will be 500 bucks or more for 5 inch screen. I noticed there is not a single review on Amazon of the new Vision S system, I'm assuming they are selling very few at this price. Wireless camera technology is widespread and prices are usually pretty low. No way should a cam and 5 inch display cost this much.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote