Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #1

Radio

We just bought a 2022 GT 36K7. As I drove home the radio was losing reception. Can only pick up 1 or 2 stations at home town, our other vehicles including our older motor home pick up 30 or 40 stations. There doesn’t seem to be an outside antenna only one I see is for XM radio. Any ideas would help, don’t really want to take back to dealer
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Space to add an Antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda View Post
We just bought a 2022 GT 36K7. As I drove home the radio was losing reception. Can only pick up 1 or 2 stations at home town, our other vehicles including our older motor home pick up 30 or 40 stations. There doesn’t seem to be an outside antenna only one I see is for XM radio. Any ideas would help, don’t really want to take back to dealer
Are you able to see, access the back of the radio?

If yes, use a wire coat hanger in the antenna jack to verify you can receive more stations than you do now. You may need to disconnect the current antenna for XM service.

Walmart has an inexpensive antenna that can replace that coat hanger. . . after all you'd want to do that . . . right ?? (BTW it was all the rage when I was a teenager. . . )
Good luck . . . hope the new stations include your favourites!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walmart Radio Antenna - th-449067240.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	281645  

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Some RV radios split the TV antenna to feed the radio. Mine is that way so I get pretty poor FM reception and zero AM reception. Is your TV antenna booster on?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM   #4

Radio

From pictures of your rig it looks like there should be a whip antenna on the roof above the drivers side. Maybe they forgot to screw it on?
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Some RV radios split the TV antenna to feed the radio. Mine is that way so I get pretty poor FM reception and zero AM reception. Is your TV antenna booster on?

I will have to try that.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
From pictures of your rig it looks like there should be a whip antenna on the roof above the drivers side. Maybe they forgot to screw it on?

This rig doesn’t have a whip antenna . Our 369DS XL had the whip antenna and it picked up tons of stations
Old 11-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #7

Exclamation

I think what Tombsy was saying is that perhaps the base for an antenna is up there on the roof, and either they forgot to screw the whip onto the base, or the whip got lost/knocked off somewhere along the line.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFla View Post
I think what Tombsy was saying is that perhaps the base for an antenna is up there on the roof, and either they forgot to screw the whip onto the base, or the whip got lost/knocked off somewhere along the line.

I will take a closer look to see if the base is there
Old 11-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
I will take a closer look to see if the base is there

Did you get a chance to check for a base?
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #10

Not yet. I will post what I find out

Tags
radio