Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

Radio reception

I have a Rockwood Roo that has a built in IRV Technologies radio. The radio reception seems to be awful. Maybe get a couple of stations FM or AM. I go to the car and can pick up numerous stations. Any thoughts?
Newes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

Is your antenna in your RV connected to the radio? Where is it located? You may or may not get similar reception to the car. Nowadays, cars have their antennas (typically, shark fins) located at the back end of the roof where there is nothing to shield it from the signals - and a nice metal ground plane at the antenna base. If your RV radio antenna isn't on the roof with a decent coax lead to the receiver, you are not going to get much signal.

My A-frame has a 5" rubber ducky stub antenna mounted next to the door on the side of the camper, about chest high. Doesn't get squat for reception, but I don't really care enough to do anything about it. I did check that the antenna was connected when I installed a power switch in the stereo leads.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Twin Lakes, Colorado
next trip: Cicero, Indiana
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

Radio Reception

The radio is built-in above the dining table. I assumed that the radio would have been connected to the rooftop antenna but I didn't think to check. Not sure how to pull out the unit as I am not sure how it is secured. Don't appear to be any screws
Old 09-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newes View Post
The radio is built-in above the dining table. I assumed that the radio would have been connected to the rooftop antenna but I didn't think to check. Not sure how to pull out the unit as I am not sure how it is secured. Don't appear to be any screws
If it’s like many other radios in RVs, it has a rectangular facia frame covering its outside edges. If so, pull off that facia with fingernails, small screwdriver, pocketknife and you’ll see attachment screws. Remove them and pull the radio out gently. Uncle Gene’s antenna wasn’t connected.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Radio Reception

I was able to take out the radio - thanks for the how to. Unfortunately, the radio was connected to the antenna cable so no easy fix. Guess I'll have to live with crappy reception or find a better radio
Old 09-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

Try turning on your antenna booster
2022 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 Sport
atkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkbike View Post
Try turning on your antenna booster
X2. If your radio doesn't have a dedicated antenna separate from the tv antenna, it uses the tv antenna as it's antenna. Ours does that and it gets a lot better reception when the amplifier is turned on.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #8

Reception on the tv antenna on mine was crap so I spent $10 on a separate antenna from Amazon and plugged it in to the back of the radio. Now it gets the same stations as the truck without needing a booster. TV reception is still crap, so that's probably next.
ggriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reception