Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Range Burners Gone Wild

I haven't seen anyone else mention this before but with our Rockwood Mini-Lite (Suburban 2937A) range, every time we get to a destination the burner grates have become dislodged from their holes even when traveling over relatively smooth roads.

I put a padded dish mat between the burner grates and the glass top to try to help keep them in place but at least a few still pop up while on the road and the legs are starting to scratch the range surface.

Is this a common problem or do we just have roaming burner grates for some reason? I thought about trying to bend the legs a little so they might be harder to remove, but they seem pretty hard to bend.

I know, it's a minor issue or complaint, but any thoughts or advice for these little buggers?
Bleufish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

If this occurs regularly regardless of the road traveled, check your tires. One could be way out of balance or have a bad spot in it. That will happen on a really rough road, but should no occur on every trip.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If this occurs regularly regardless of the road traveled, check your tires. One could be way out of balance or have a bad spot in it. That will happen on a really rough road, but should no occur on every trip.

X2. on the possible tire issue. Excessive vibration and/or bouncing can cause that and more damage/issues. Also, have you checked the condition of the little rubber grommets that the legs for into? Worn/torn/missing grommets won't be able to help keep the grate on place.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Thank you so much FlyBob and rracer5! I think you both might be right. We are getting the trailer back from the dealer soon for warranty recall repairs for a bent axle and they are also replacing two tires under the warranty.

I bet the problem will be resolved once we get it back! That makes sense why I couldn't find a lot of people complaining about this issue here too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. You guys are great!
Bleufish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

I always remove the burner rings when I move. They used to end up on the kitchen counter or on the floor.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

We put a cutting board on top of the stove and hold it down with a small bungee cord. We've never had a problem, but with a rear kitchen, I figured there's no need to wait, plus it gives the cutting board a place to travel.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleufish View Post
I haven't seen anyone else mention this before but with our Rockwood Mini-Lite (Suburban 2937A) range, every time we get to a destination the burner grates have become dislodged from their holes even when traveling over relatively smooth roads.

I put a padded dish mat between the burner grates and the glass top to try to help keep them in place but at least a few still pop up while on the road and the legs are starting to scratch the range surface.

Is this a common problem or do we just have roaming burner grates for some reason? I thought about trying to bend the legs a little so they might be harder to remove, but they seem pretty hard to bend.

I know, it's a minor issue or complaint, but any thoughts or advice for these little buggers?
Ours actually takes some upward pull to detatch. Believe the grate legs press into rubber like grommets. Are the grommets cracked or missing by chance ?
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleufish View Post
Thank you so much FlyBob and rracer5! I think you both might be right. We are getting the trailer back from the dealer soon for warranty recall repairs for a bent axle and they are also replacing two tires under the warranty.

I bet the problem will be resolved once we get it back! That makes sense why I couldn't find a lot of people complaining about this issue here too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. You guys are great!
Im guessing that bent axle was the problem, unless the issue began before the axle got bent.

That bent axle would be putting all sorts of lateral movement into the camper riding on it, even if the tires were correctly balanced.

If I were you Id tell the dealer you want the tires checked for balance before you pick up the camper.

After you pick it up have someone follow you while pulling the camper to make sure it is not "crabbing" down the road. If it is, take it back and have the axles aligned as well.

Tags
burner