Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #1

Range fan when dry camping

Hello,
We just purchased a Chaparral 336TSIK fifth wheel. We are currently dry camping and would like to do some cooking indoors but can’t seem to operate the range hood fan. The only control seems to be on the microwave which will not work unless we are plugged in to power. Unfortunately, there is no power for miles and when I cook I really do require the assistance of an exhaust fan to clear the smoke :-). Please help, I do not want to eat cereal and sandwiches this whole trip!
Kbaumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

in many RVs, the 'fan' is integrated into the microwave... so, no, without an Inverter, Shore Power, or use of a Generator, will you have that option.

of course, another way around the same issue is to simply use your ROOF fan - it is 12v and runs off your battery(s).
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #3

The only roof fan I see is in the bathroom, which is a long way from the kitchen. Is there another roof fan you are referring to that acts as an exhaust?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

We had a ceiling vent in the kitchen area that I put a remote controlled fan in. Has multi speeds in or out or temp setting.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaumber View Post
The only roof fan I see is in the bathroom, which is a long way from the kitchen. Is there another roof fan you are referring to that acts as an exhaust?
You can remove the bathroom fan (it barely does anything) and replace it with the $150-ish Fan-Tastic Fan that moves a massive amount more air. It is a really easy swap, you just peel the Dicor from your on the roof and unscrew it, clean all residual Dicor and goo, and re-goo and dicor the Fan-Tastic fan in its place. On low it moves many times more air and will pull the hot air from the ceiling and out the vent. If you have a front non fan vent, you can also put another Fan-Tastic fan there and use a nearby LED light to grab your power. That is exactly what I just did on my new Apex 289TBSS. So now I can just about suck the walls inward if I want to!

I used the $160 model 1250 that you have a rocker switch to reverse the fan rotation, you can blow in on one and suck out on the other... or you can crack some windows and suck out on both. It gives you some options, and it's not hard to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ve...gateway&sr=8-1

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

For me, and what I want to do or use boondocking, a 2000 w inverter generator is a absolute MUST HAVE. I'm a liberal when it comes to power usage and must be able to recharge battery daily.

Also plan our meals trying to do most of the cooking outside whenever possible. Just gets to hot inside with no AC available.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions! Much appreciated! There are no ceiling vents anywhere in this unit other than the bathroom so installing a fan would not be an option. We do travel with a generator so I can easily fire that up when we cook.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions! Much appreciated! There are no ceiling vents anywhere in this unit other than the bathroom so installing a fan would not be an option. We do travel with a generator so I can easily fire that up when we cook.
I've never seen a bathroom vent lid without a fan, so you could at the least toss a fantastic vent fan in there. That would do a much much better job evacuating hot air than the nearly useless range fan unless yours is a whole lot better than Coachmen used on mine.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
You would need to ask this in the Coachmen sub-forum since you're asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

I took a look at the floor plans and it appears that there is a window near the stove. You can open the window and put a battery operated fan in front of it. That should be enough to pull out any smoke.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Over the stove fan... does it even vent to the outside or blow stove top air up and over to another corner in the room?
Some units have the range hood light and fan on DC as the stove is LP and also used during boondocking.
If your unit has an AC fan in the hood there are 12V DC fans you can convert them to, but you must have a 12V power source near to tie in to.
Not sure how in depth and involved you want to get.
As said above first go to your make and models forum to see what others have done. I met a guy that has a little DC fan on their popup they sit by stove and let it vent through the window, screen or whatever it is.
Only as a last resort would I pull air from kitchen all through the camper to exit out the bathroom... but some cooking smells are worth it.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #12

Umm...no

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Over the stove fan... does it even vent to the outside or blow stove top air up and over to another corner in the room?
Some units have the range hood light and fan on DC as the stove is LP and also used during boondocking.
If your unit has an AC fan in the hood there are 12V DC fans you can convert them to, but you must have a 12V power source near to tie in to.
Not sure how in depth and involved you want to get.
As said above first go to your make and models forum to see what others have done. I met a guy that has a little DC fan on their popup they sit by stove and let it vent through the window, screen or whatever it is.
Only as a last resort would I pull air from kitchen all through the camper to exit out the bathroom... but some cooking smells are worth it.
Umm, his range fan is integrated into the microwave oven, like a residential over-the-range microwave oven. Changing the fan to 12v would not be easy.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #13

My misread. I didn't realize it was integrated into the Micro. That fan is definitely AC. Depending on what type micro just like at home it could be vented to outside or just a recirculation upward into the room. Looks like fan pointing out the window is the next step. Pulling more humidity into and through the bathroom I wouldn't like. But is' not a deal breaker or particularly bad.
Got to find what works for you.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #14

Coachmen 336TSIK

I have a 2017 336TSIK with the same Microwave/exhaust fan as you have. Mine also has a remote controlled 12 Volt roof fan above the stove area not in the slide but in the main camper area near the stove. Maybe you could have 1 of these installed on your 5th wheel and that would work to remove stove heat/orders.
royg6677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping, fan