Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Rear AC/heat pump Breaker trips, now shorted

Just got back from a 2 week road trip. Last day out, plugged into a 50 amp service plug at a place I have never stayed before, and noticed the rear air/heat was not working. Found the circuit breaker tripped on the rear unit, so I reset it, then the entire coach lost power. Went to the breaker outside on the pole, it was tripped. Reset it, kept tripping. Turned off the rear air breaker in the coach, it allowed a reset on the pole.

Just ran with the front unit, everything else seemed fine. Got home last night, went to plug the coach into my standard 15 amp power to keep the refrigerator and charge the batteries, it immediately blows the house breaker. The rear air breaker was off, still it would pop the house breaker as soon as I plugged it in.

This morning I disconnected the rear unit breaker, ground and neutral for the rear AC and everything is working again.

So did that campgrounds power fry my rear ac unit or did the rear unit just decide to short out somehow?

Now I need to figure out what to do next, obviously I'll get on the roof, visually inspect, try to find something obvious.

Anyone have any specific testing on these units? Something is shorted to ground I am pretty sure.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

I would try and determine if the power pole is wired correct first.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

That was last night, 9 hours away......now I'm home.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
That was last night, 9 hours away......now I'm home.
Oh.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

IMHO if it did the same thing at both locations, but worked previously... Then it has to be the coach. If you eliminate everything but the a/c and it works... Then you know where the base problem is. It is prolly easier to check inside first if you have the ability then go up. It sounds like a junction problem to case(ground) to me. You can disconnect and insulate the wires up top. Repower and turn on the power. No short then the problem has to be in the unit. Make sure and disconnect each time you check...not to get shocked.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

If you are tripping the breaker when you turn it on you more then likely blew the compressor, or your wire supply side is shorting out. Disconnect the wires at the unit on the roof turn the breaker back on, If you do not trip then it is coming from the unit. You could have a bad contactor to a blown winding in the compressor or even the fan"s condenser motor or blower. Always start at the power source and work your way backwards. You should have a connection in the R/A grill. I agree with Iwannacamp you have a dead short somewhere but you need to isolate it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Got up to the wire connection under the air filter, disconnected the hot (black) wire from the unit, now it does not trip the breaker when I hook it up at the breaker box. Next step will be to get on the roof and follow it on. It will be this weekend before I get up there, i'll let you know. Thanks for the ideas.....
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Got up to the wire connection under the air filter, disconnected the hot (black) wire from the unit, now it does not trip the breaker when I hook it up at the breaker box. Next step will be to get on the roof and follow it on. It will be this weekend before I get up there, i'll let you know. Thanks for the ideas.....
okay so it's in the unit, let me know what you find, I did this for 25 years I might be able to point you in the right direction I'll keep a look out for your post or PM me.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Finally had decent weather to get on the roof, took cover off hoping to find a wire or animal issue....no such luck. Disconnected the 3 wires from the compressor, all of them almost a dead short to the ground of the compressor....and just to be sure I disassembled the front unit and did the same test, nothing to ground on it. So off to find a replacement heat pump unit, looks to be around $1200.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Finally had decent weather to get on the roof, took cover off hoping to find a wire or animal issue....no such luck. Disconnected the 3 wires from the compressor, all of them almost a dead short to the ground of the compressor....and just to be sure I disassembled the front unit and did the same test, nothing to ground on it. So off to find a replacement heat pump unit, looks to be around $1200.
Sounds like it for sure, how old is your unit? You have a 5 yr warranty on the compressor I think but you would have to pay labor. So check around and see. More then likly you will be better off getting a new unit installed. Get the biggest unit you can. It will not be much more, you maybe able to put a 24,000 BTU on. You will be better off. Let me know what you find and I can help to give you some info on it. SORRY to hear that. But things do happen. Good luck and PM me or will keep an eye open if you need any questions answered,.........

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

Bought the coach new in 2009, so just about 5 years, 22K miles....Everything I find shows a 2 year warranty......plus, the labor, leaving it somewhere, having to put it back together....etc.......not sure it would be worth it, but I would consider it if I could find anything stating a 5 year warranty....I'll call a dealer Monday and ask, otherwise I will order one and install it myself....not sure I need the bigger unit, never had an issue in the back with the 13500 unit, always kept us cool, between that and the front 15500 unit....but you are right, its only another hundred or so for the larger unit.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #12

FYI, new rear unit, went with the 15k unit, was only a few more dollars.....had to get the replacement circuit board to make it function with my thermostat...about 3 hours and she is all ready to go again!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
FYI, new rear unit, went with the 15k unit, was only a few more dollars.....had to get the replacement circuit board to make it function with my thermostat...about 3 hours and she is all ready to go again!
Thanks for the update, Sorry about the compressor but It will happen as far as the park power doing it, I say no your winding grounded out. It happens. If it was the power pole you would have lost everything not just the one compressor. Hope you have a great Camping season.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #14

agreed......just seemed weird, but it would have got a lot more I am sure....it just died.....either way, all good, ready to hit the road this Saturday for our first really long trip....just over 3,000 miles round trip over 2.5 weeks.....
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
agreed......just seemed weird, but it would have got a lot more I am sure....it just died.....either way, all good, ready to hit the road this Saturday for our first really long trip....just over 3,000 miles round trip over 2.5 weeks.....
Have a great trip, wish I could get away stay safe..

Tags
breaker, pump