Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Rear view camera suggestions

Our RV is a 2014 Forester Class C. The rear-view camera that came with it is fine, in daylight. At night the image is unusable.
We have also had to replace it twice due to malfunction.
I recently bought a $20 - yes, TWENTY-DOLLAR - dash cam that has a better picture and works very well at night.

I want a much better rear-view camera, especially one that gives an excellent night image.
Suggestions, please.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

I just finished installing an RVS770613 by Rear View Safety system and love it. The 7" color monitor fits nicely on the dash, but can be mounted in the dash if you have the room. The nite view is clear and super sharp. I bought the system with the optional side view cameras and the proximity sensors for the back, hopefully all that will keep me from hitting something. LOL.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks, wtbuck12.
I looked them up online and they would seem to have what I need.

Couple questions:
1. Did you install this yourself? At home I a forbidden to touch house electrical wiring or plumbing. I'd like to know details about how you did it. The existing camera on our Class C is wired through the coach body. I'm betting this RVS system doesn't use the same cables. I'm not sure how to even FIND where they go in the coach body. The idea of messing with the ignition wiring is daunting. I'd like to know how you did it.
2. Mounting in the dash won't work because we just installed a great Kenwood/Garmin GPS system in the space left after removing the POS that came with the RV. I see two possibilities for us. The current viewscreen is about where a normal rear-view mirror would go. If I remove it, I could suspend the RVS from the same place. The other, which I really don't like, is to stick it on top of the dash. I feel it would block too much of the view. (Ford F450 cab.)
Please let me know.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #4

I did install myself, but it was a pretty big project. It took two of us two days too complete the install. I had too run a cable from the back camera along the frame rail to the front of the coach and up into the dash. RVS does offer a splice kit if your existing cable is compatible. Unfortunately my old setup used a coaxial cable and that was not compatible. If you don't currently have side cameras and want too install them, then you will have to run cables for them also. It's not rocket science to hook it up, but it does take a lot of patience and a little bit of wiring knowledge. RVS does offer a wireless system which would eliminate the cable, but I don't care for it.
If you decide too attempt it I would be glad to offer advice and wish you good luck.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
StlClay

Check out Tadi Brothers for their selection. Inexpensive and reliable

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #6

Camera port on Kenwood/Garmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gerstner. View Post
2. Mounting in the dash won't work because we just installed a great Kenwood/Garmin GPS system in the space left after removing the POS that came with the RV. I see two possibilities for us. The current viewscreen is about where a normal rear-view mirror would go. If I remove it, I could suspend the RVS from the same place. The other, which I really don't like, is to stick it on top of the dash. I feel it would block too much of the view. (Ford F450 cab.)
Are you certain that the Kenwood/Garmin does not have a camera port? A lot of the in-dash units do. Read the manual. You may be able to simply change the camera at the back and use the existing cable.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbuck12 View Post
I just finished installing an RVS770613 by Rear View Safety system and love it. The 7" color monitor fits nicely on the dash, but can be mounted in the dash if you have the room. The nite view is clear and super sharp. I bought the system with the optional side view cameras and the proximity sensors for the back, hopefully all that will keep me from hitting something. LOL.
X2 We have had the RVS camera on our cargo trailer for several years as a rear view camera. We have also had an RVS camera on our Sunseeker for several years. Neither has given us a problem. Daytime pictures are excellent. Night video will never be as good on any camera system. On both camera, I painted the sun shade white to reflect rather than absorb the sun rays.

When installing the cargo trailer system, I had a need to contact Rear View Safety support and they were very knowledgeable and provided great support. I was connecting a RVS camera to a in-dash head unit from another manufacturer. It was determined that an interface cable to the head unit was proprietary to RVS. They sent the cable very quickly. Simple fix!
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gerstner. View Post
Our RV is a 2014 Forester Class C. The rear-view camera that came with it is fine, in daylight. At night the image is unusable.
We have also had to replace it twice due to malfunction.
I recently bought a $20 - yes, TWENTY-DOLLAR - dash cam that has a better picture and works very well at night.

I want a much better rear-view camera, especially one that gives an excellent night image.
Suggestions, please.
Get another $20.00 dash cam and point it backwards from the rear of the camper?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Dash cam?

Please let me know what dash cam you bought? I'm looking for one. Thanks
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera