Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #1

Refer gas issue?

Hello everyone, on our first excursion with out 202RBLE everything worked flawlessly. I plugged it in on Wednesday to get the refer and freezer going for our Thursday night departure for camping by the beach. Upon unplugging the coach, I did not hear the refer change or "click" over to start the gas portion. The light also turned red. I unplugged the refer, checked the fuse. Unplugged and plugged back in the coach thinking it would trigger it. Nothing. Just a red light on the refer, until i went inside to push the power button on the refer itself. Heard the clicking outside and the gas fired right up. So my question is, does the refer when plugged in automatically "turn on" and when unplugged need to be turned back "on" for the gas portion to fire up or should it do it automatically? Thanks for any help!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #2

Find the brand and model number of your fridge so perhaps someone with the same one can advise.
Also, once you have the brand/model you should be able to find the operation manual online.
Let us know!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #3

I bet the problem was a little air in the gas line. If the refreg does not light it will turn off the gas valve to refreg and cycle on red light. If propane bottles have been off I first flush the lines by lighting the stove, once its burning well (turn it off) and switch the refreg to propane a couple times and listen to it cut over.

your refreg uses so little propane there is nothing wrong with just running it on propane. My truck camper would last around 3 months with the refreg only running on propane with a Grill size bottle.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I bet the problem was a little air in the gas line. If the refreg does not light it will turn off the gas valve to refreg and cycle on red light. If propane bottles have been off I first flush the lines by lighting the stove, once its burning well (turn it off) and switch the refreg to propane a couple times and listen to it cut over.

your refreg uses so little propane there is nothing wrong with just running it on propane. My truck camper would last around 3 months with the refreg only running on propane with a Grill size bottle.
I appreciate the response TowPro, I did as you suggested the day before, purged the gas lines, made sure the stove/oven/heater were all lighting properly before hand. Bottle was on full open, I think it just needed to be "turned on" after being unplugged from shore power. It may automatically turn on when connected to shore power and than off when disconnected. My older Mallard trailer used to switch over automatically, and I was just curious if these newer ones need to be turned on and than it automatically switches between going from gas to shore. Thanks for your help either way.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Find the brand and model number of your fridge so perhaps someone with the same one can advise.
Also, once you have the brand/model you should be able to find the operation manual online.
Let us know!
I am not near the trailer currently, and will look thru the operation manual when i'm sitting next to the beach and camping this weekend was just curious if it was a simple answer.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #6

Typically the fridge would have an AUTO mode for auto switching to propane/electric when available or the mode (LP or AC) can be manually selected.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clg82 View Post
I am not near the trailer currently, and will look thru the operation manual when i'm sitting next to the beach and camping this weekend was just curious if it was a simple answer.
Oh, I'm sure it is a simple answer, just need more info on what you have. There are many different models and brands used in RVs. I would be surprised if it isn't an auto switchover.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Typically the fridge would have an AUTO mode for auto switching to propane/electric when available or the mode (LP or AC) can be manually selected.
my thoughts as well, well it's currently working on propane as it's unplugged from shore power in my driveway, I will report back after arriving and plugging in and unplugging when leaving to come home.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #9

On our refrigerator, if I've manually pushed the 'electric' button so that it operates on electric, then unplug the rig, the red light will go on.

So you need to make certain that the 'auto' button has been pushed so that it will automatically switch between electric and gas.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
I appreciate the response TowPro, I did as you suggested the day before, purged the gas lines, made sure the stove/oven/heater were all lighting properly before hand. Bottle was on full open, I think it just needed to be "turned on" after being unplugged from shore power. It may automatically turn on when connected to shore power and than off when disconnected. My older Mallard trailer used to switch over automatically, and I was just curious if these newer ones need to be turned on and than it automatically switches between going from gas to shore. Thanks for your help either way.

This one should also switch over automatically. But as Snowbird said it could be the sequence of buttons you pushed. Not knowing the model I figured the fact the light was red means it tried but failed to light.

When you purged the lines did you also purge the refrigerator gas line by making sure it was able to run on gas? Just that gas line between the source and the refreg can hold enough air that when you switch from AC to GAS the refreg can error out and not light. The flame in that refreg is very small, about the size of a candle and it can take a couple tries between electric/gas before it does purge that last 2'-3' of gas line to the refreg.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #11

I recall mine has two (2) push switches that lock in either position (depressed or up): On/Off and LP/Auto. The only way mine will run exclusively on AC power is to be connected to shore power and in the On and Auto positions. The only way mine will run exclusively on LP is in the On and LP positions (regardless of shorepower).

-- Chuck
Old 11-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #12

sounds like the last couple I have had also Chuck
Old 11-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #13

Just to follow up with this, turns out I didn’t have the power button depressed. Our older camper had the “depress” button for either gas or auto but this one is just a single power button. Thanks everyone for all of your help.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Just to follow up with this, turns out I didn’t have the power button depressed. Our older camper had the “depress” button for either gas or auto but this one is just a single power button. Thanks everyone for all of your help.
So, you read the manual.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas